• 08-04-2005, 04:16 PM
    EdwardGein
    Recording an External DVD from your DVR 5.1 Sound Question
    I finally have an HD DVR From Time Warner Cable that records in 5.1 sound & lets me make external DVD copies, the HD Scientific Atlanta 8300. What I don't understand is when I record from this onto a DVD standalone recorder via regular RCA cables (2 audio, 1 video), will I still have 5.1 sound recorded on the DVD? Even though the DVD recorder Lite on 5001 records 5.1, I don't see a digital input on the DVD recorder and the external outs on the DVR are left & right audio optputs. Can you still get 5.1 sound through just left & right analogue connections? Any answers appreciated.
  • 08-04-2005, 05:49 PM
    N. Abstentia
    No, if you're using analong connections you'll get analog audio, not 5.1 digital.
  • 08-04-2005, 09:02 PM
    EdwardGein
    Is there any way then to record 5.1 off a DVR to a DVD Recorder?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    No, if you're using analong connections you'll get analog audio, not 5.1 digital.

OK I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying but are there DVR's that let you copy 5.1 sound to a DVD recorder?
  • 08-05-2005, 09:30 AM
    N. Abstentia
    I don't know if there are any available that will do that, I don't follow DVD recorders so I couldn't answer that question. I'd kinda like to know myself, it would be neat to make a 'demo DVD' with full 5.1 sound just by recording the specific scenes you want. Of course I guess then you'd need a DVI connection for video so you don't lose video quality. That don't sound like a cheap unit :)

I just know you can't do 5.1 digital with stereo analog cables. If you do find one you'd have to use a digital optical or coax cable.