• 10-24-2004, 04:46 PM
    stereonewbie
    recording dvd in 5.1 on a standalone
    Ive read on here that its not possible since dvd recorders only record in 2.0 stereo but what if your dvd recorder has a digital audio input instead of an analog input? Provided your satellite box has it also.
  • 10-24-2004, 05:46 PM
    hershon
    Please clarify
    First off if you are planning to copy a commercial DVD, you need to get a seperate "decoder" that you can get on Ebay for about $100 and postage for a standalone recorder or get this software for free for a computer DVD burner on software called DVD Shrink. I currently have an external DVD burner for my computer that cost me about $140 with Nero software new on EBay but some sell as low as $80. I'm also planning to get a standalone DVD recorder for the purpose of recording TV shows and making DVD copies of videos I have. On my computer I can make DVD's of TV shows but unfortunately they'll only play on my computer which is why I'm also getting a stand alone recorder. You do get great 5.1 sound on a computer (external/internal) DVD recorder. I'm not sure about standalones even though the ads for them say dolby digital audio input.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stereonewbie
    Ive read on here that its not possible since dvd recorders only record in 2.0 stereo but what if your dvd recorder has a digital audio input instead of an analog input? Provided your satellite box has it also.