Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

Question Reconsidering...

Well, I'm starting to reconsider my recent purchase of the Toshiba SD-6915 DVD player. (For those that don't know, it's a SACD/DVD-A/MP3/WMA/DVD universal 5-disc changer).

It's got all the features I wanted in a player, but the interface is clunky at best, irritating at times (especially for audio cd's, sacd's, etc). It does a good job with video, but nothing amazing. The $159 price is hard to beat, though (I got it discounted, normally $179).

Here's what I'm reconsidering: I currently have no CD transport nor a DVD player and would like a good 5-disc cd/sacd/(dvd-a?) player and a dvd player and was thinking that a universal player would be great. I'm wondering if lumping it all together is a cause for disaster and that I might be better off with separate components (which I'm not against as long as it stays in budget).

So... given the above info, I'm looking for a dvd-player and a cd/sacd disc-changer combo that would meet my needs and stay near my budget for their combined prices (i'm willing to buy used off ebay if necessary).

THanks!

-Olen

p.s. I used to have the Sony SCD-CE775 until it was stolen. I was quite satisfied with it.

Forum Regular
    I forgot to mention my budget:

$150 or less for a good single-disc dvd (prog, wma/mp3, dvd-a ) player.

$200 or less for the 5-disc cd/sacd changer (used models ok)

In that price range, I don't think you're going to do much better than what you already have. You already have a DVD player that's as good as any in the $150 range, whether it be single disc or 5 disc.

You also already have an SACD player that's as good as any other $200 SACD player, except that it also plays DVD-A and holds 4 more discs. Right now there are no other 5 disc DVD/DVD-A/SACD/MP3/WMA players on the market.

But I know what you mean, I was waiting around for the Toshiba to come out then when ahead and got a Marantz DV-6400 when I finally actually saw the Toshiba. But in your price range, I don't know how you're going to do any better.

If you want to upgrade, you probably need to start looking at Denon and Marantz models in the $600 range, which of course are just single disc players.

Forum Regular
    take a look at the new samsung dvdhd841
    DVDA SACD WMA MP3 JPEG CDR/RW DVI output
    $199.

multi-disc version later this year---MSRP $349.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by AVMASTER

this sounds promising...

I wish I could do an audio/video comparison between the Samsung and the Toshiba. I might ask the guys at Best Buy if I can do just that.

BTW, what is "later this year" ??

THanks

Forum Regular
    where'd you get this info?? I can't find anything about it anywhere...

Thanks,

ronning

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ronning
    where'd you get this info?? I can't find anything about it anywhere...

Thanks,

ronning
    dealer training thru one of our distributors for Samsung, release date late Dec. but this is not firm.
    Also multi-disc universal player from Onkyo, should hit market alot earlier but pricing will be high
    Several units from Denon with DVI-D and HDMI output coming in 2005 starting at $269.

I have a Panasonic DVD-F87S Progressive Scan 5-Disc DVD Player here: http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...=&newdeptid=11

I've had it about a month now and everything is hunky-dory. The only thing really missing is SACD.
    Friends help friends move,
    Good friends help friends move bodies....

Forum Regular
    The Samsung sounds very promising - I like their technology and design, but I'm not sure I can go without having a DVD player for 4+ months...

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Olen

dealer training thru one of our distributors for Samsung, release date late Dec. but this is not firm.
    Also multi-disc universal player from Onkyo, should hit market alot earlier but pricing will be high
    Several units from Denon with DVI-D and HDMI output coming in 2005 starting at $269.
    I think this is the info on the Denons. Looks like a very interesting lineup, and the DVI and HDMI outputs was really the main thing missing from their current midlevel models.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...ce-7-2004.html

Forum Regular
    The Denons are nice, of course, but do not offer SACD (a prerequisite). I'd rather have SACD over DVD-A (*if* I had to choose).

The Samsung uses Philips new SAA7893HL SACD processing chip which has separate DACS for DVD and SACD (PCM vs. DSD, presumably). I'm not sure how the samsung has DVD-A capabilities, must be through a 2nd chip. (anybody know?) Also, I thought, as stated by someone else as well, that DVD-A required 24/192 DACs, but according the samsung's specs it only has 24/96 dacs..???

I'm curious if anybody knows which chipset my Toshiba SD6915 has. So far I have not been super impressed by its SACD playback (not to mention the loads of other problems this player has).

Thanks,

ronning

Forum Regular
    I just got Goodguy's mailer that has the Samsung DH841 for $199 with $50 cash back.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by sy_lu
    I just got Goodguy's mailer that has the Samsung DH841 for $199 with $50 cash back.
    cool... wait.. where? I don't see it...

Forum Regular
    Its on page 26 of Goodguy's Summer 2004 mailer. I suppose they only mail it to their store area or past customers. It is also on their web site but the web site only has $20 rebate instead of the $50 rebate for in store purchase. BTW, Samsung's web site has the manual for download. You might want to check out the interface first to see if it is any better than your Toshiba.

Forum Regular
    Its on page 26 of Goodguy's Summer 2004 mailer. I suppose they only mail it to their store area or past customers. It is also on their web site but the web site only has $20 rebate instead of the $50 rebate for in store purchase. BTW, Samsung's web site has the manual for download. You might want to check out the interface first to see if it is any better than your Toshiba.
    Today I was in Best Buy and was looking at the Pioneer DV-578A player ($142), which looks nice, and the Samsung DVD-HD841 ($189). They didn't have any set up but said they'd find remotes and set them up tomorrow when I return with a DVD and a SACD to test with... so I'll check user interfaces then.

I'll also stop by Good Guys and grab a flier from the store or just ask a guy directly about it.

Forum Regular
    hmmm... an interesting new contender..

Philips DVD795SA
    http://www.consumer.philips.com/glob...Id=DVD795CH_17

Forum Regular
    Hey ronning I was considering this player as well. I have a few questions on it that I've started a new thread on this player Does anyone have any experience with the Philips DVD795SA?. If you do end up getting this player, could you fill me in on some of those questions?

Thanks,
    Ryan

Forum Regular
    Today I was in Best Buy and was looking at the Pioneer DV-578A player ($142),
    Well, you want to be sure the Pioneer 578A is not just another one like their 563A. I brought and returned the 563A becasue its SACD and CD's performance are not even close to the Sony player I have(I was looking to add DVD-A). Some has said it converts SACD bit stream to PCM first to cut cost on DAC. Any way, you want to make sure the 578A is not just another 563A.

Forum Regular
    Well, you want to be sure the Pioneer 578A is not just another one like their 563A. I brought and returned the 563A becasue its SACD and CD's performance are not even close to the Sony player I have(I was looking to add DVD-A). Some has said it converts SACD bit stream to PCM first to cut cost on DAC. Any way, you want to make sure the 578A is not just another 563A.
    Yes, I'm curious about this as well. i have a very sneaky suspicion that my current Toshiba does this as well (SACD sounds incredibly harsh on this player making even regular CD sound better - my old Sony CE775 was *way* better).

The Samsung, however, states specifically that it uses Philips own chip which I (hopefull) presume has a separate DSD DAC (see my above post).

Forum Regular
    My reading of the Phillips' chip set is it can go either way. The chip set allows the DVD player maker to choose to use what type of DAC. It can be DSD, PCM or hybrid for both DSD and PCM. If the DVD player maker is looking to cut cost, they will use a PCM DAC only. Using a hybrid DAC will be the logical solution for better performance at reasonable add-on cost. Using both DSD and PCM will add quite a bit of cost not only for the cost of two set of DACs but also with added signal path cost. I doubt you will find a low cost player using two set of DACs. I will be happy if they use a hybrid DAC. The worst is using the PCM only. I would rather they use a DSD only DAC for SACD analog output and send PCM output to digital out only.

Forum Regular
    My reading of the Phillips' chip set is it can go either way. The chip set allows the DVD player maker to choose to use what type of DAC. It can be DSD, PCM or hybrid for both DSD and PCM. If the DVD player maker is looking to cut cost, they will use a PCM DAC only. Using a hybrid DAC will be the logical solution for better performance at reasonable add-on cost. Using both DSD and PCM will add quite a bit of cost not only for the cost of two set of DACs but also with added signal path cost. I doubt you will find a low cost player using two set of DACs. I will be happy if they use a hybrid DAC. The worst is using the PCM only. I would rather they use a DSD only DAC for SACD analog output and send PCM output to digital out only.
    Good - thanks for the info.

Here's another player i found... something more to chew on...

Yamaha DVDS1500 DVD Player Universal single disc
    I found it online for around $350

Forum Regular
    yet another model to consider...

Yamaha DVD-C940
    dvd-a, sacd, dvd, etc, etc, 5-disc changer.
    a-very-a-nice-a. about $350 online. Pricey, but very nice.

Any opinions?

(p.s. I plan to purchase a new Yamaha receiver in the next 2 months)

yet another model to consider...

Yamaha DVD-C940
    dvd-a, sacd, dvd, etc, etc, 5-disc changer.
    a-very-a-nice-a. about $350 online. Pricey, but very nice.

Any opinions?

(p.s. I plan to purchase a new Yamaha receiver in the next 2 months)
    That one does NOT support DVD-Audio.

Forum Regular
    My reading of the Phillips' chip set is it can go either way.
    Are you talking specifically about the 795, or just a chip that philips makes? I'm curious if the 795 has a true DSD chip in it. The philips site makes it sound like it does.

Ryan

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by oryan_dunn
    Are you talking specifically about the 795, or just a chip that philips makes?
    Ryan
    Yes, I was talking about the SSA7817HL decoder chip Philips makes. The decoder chip does not have built-in DAC and there are a few options for DVD player makers to choose which types of DAC to use. The quality of the DAC will make most of difference in terms of SACD or even PCM playback.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information