• 04-03-2007, 07:44 AM
    lsilver
    Recommendation for Bedroom Home Theater
    Hi all,

I'm doing a little upgrade of my bedroom setup adding a TIVO Series 3 and an LCD TV. I'd like to add a basic home theater setup. I have a pretty nice system in my main TV room so I'm not looking to do anything extravagant in the bedroom (about 150 square feet).

Any recommendation on a receiver, speakers, and anything else I need for basic (not expensive) home theater enjoyment for a bedroom?

Thanks.
  • 04-03-2007, 09:47 AM
    recoveryone
    a budget would help, we all have different ideals of (not expensive) levels.
  • 04-03-2007, 10:20 AM
    lsilver
    I've never been a "budget" kind of guy - probably an issue I'll need to deal with at some point!

I'd prefer to not spend over $1,000 for the receiver and speakers. If I can spend less and get good sound for a bedroom that's great (again, not my main location for home theater entertainment). And for the receiver I'd like to have at least 2 HDMI inputs so I'm not sure how that fits into the budget.
  • 04-03-2007, 01:43 PM
    r.j.sanc26
    this is quite basic mind you but I think it would work well for a bedroom, and come in at or around your $1k mark.

Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1016TXV (arond $450), Speakers: Celestion AVP 305 + the matching S20 sub (around $350), again not the best by any means but a decent combination - a friend of my purchased this exact set-up for his HT (just got divorced and couldn't afford much), after hearing it together, it's pretty good, nice features on the receiver and the speakers are really slick, there all metal (satellite style), decent sound, not a ton of bass response but the S20 fills in the gaps fairly well. Another nice feature is that this satellites have a built in base/wall mount bracket, a handy addition IMO.

The only reason I suggested these particular brands is because I've seen them in action together, I am sure there are about a billion options for you to consider.
  • 04-03-2007, 04:36 PM
    lsilver
    Quote:

Originally Posted by r.j.sanc26
    The only reason I suggested these particular brands is because I've seen them in action together, I am sure there are about a billion options for you to consider.

Thanks for the suggestion. Yep, a billion options (give or take a million) and I've got no clue. So a prior positive experience is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks.
  • 04-04-2007, 04:08 AM
    spf
    Like r.j. mentionned, I too have heard a small bedroom setup (Not having a setup in my bedroom currently) . This was a group of x-series speakers from the online retailer www.av123.com . The whole setup was powered by an entry level Onkyo receiver. Amazing sound for such entry level gear. I think it costed him about $950 when it was all said and done. Good luck with your purchase.

Shane
  • 04-05-2007, 02:24 AM
    thekid
    Isilver

$1k is pocket change for what a lot of the members here spend on most of their equipment but I think for a basic HT set-up in a small room you can get a pretty decent sound. Receiver wise you may want to check out the Pioneer 816. I have owned it's earlier version the 815 for over a year and you get a lot of features for the money including a room EQ and it got a lot of positive press when it first came out. You can find it on sale fairly regularly in the $250 range. That would give you a fair amount left over for the speakers. For that kind of money you probably are restricted to equipment found at your big box stores like CC and BB depending on what is in your area. You could do well over the internet but I think the key with speakers is for you to listen to them because peoples taste in speakers is some what subjective IMO. I have gone cheap in the past with (and this is generally considered blasphemy here...) with Sony and Bose speakers and for a small room I think they sound pretty good but in generally the same price range you can also find Athena and Boston Accoustics so give everything a listen and see what fits your taste best. I think for a bedroom set up you are better off going with a bookshelf/sub combo.

Happy hunting and let us know what you get.
  • 04-22-2007, 10:57 PM
    AmpItUP
    I heard of the small bedroom setup too. Ayway, I'd recommend Bose speakers since they work well and are affordable enough. Pioneer is also a good bet.