tp
    Forum Regular

Reciever not playing in DTS, confusion, help?

Hi All,

I have a Harmon Kardon reciever from around 2001, has DTS, Dolby Digital, Pro Logic.

I had this reciever set up back in 2001-2003 and used a dvd player that had a DTS decoder etc, everything was fine and the surround was awesome.

I just got back into things in the past 2 weeks, I got a new 46 inch LED Samsung 8000 tv and a Samsung BD 3600 Blu-Ray player. I hooked up the HD cable box to tv via HDMI, and hooked up the Blu-ray to tv via HDMI.

Now on the Audio end, There are no HDMI connections, so I took the advise of a few people and I connected the Blu-Ray to the reciever via Digital Optical, and hooked up the cable box to the reciever as well with a Digital Optical.

I took out my Eagle's- Hell Freezes Over dvd as my reference , which I always used as a reference and it has DTS. When I played the disc, #1 it didnt go into DTS mode like it usually does. I made sure I chose the DTS option when putting the disc in, I also noticed that the full wild surround effects that I normally heard was NOT present. I threw in other movies and they didn't sound like all the information/sound was being processed either.

I have 3 basic setting on the reciever, DTS, Digital, and Pro Logic, but there are many other settings too. Everything I played today, played in the Pro Logic mode, and I couldn't put it in Digital or DTS. WHY?????

Also, I noticed when setting up the reciever per the instructions , I was trying to set the delay for the center and rear speakers, which went well, and I was in the Digital Optical mode, but it only worked for the tv optical 2), not the Blu-Ray connection (optical 1). So, I just swapped the optical plugs in the back of the reciever, but the settings followed the change.

I'm wondering if I am doing something wrong on the set up on the reciever, or the Blu-Ray does not have the same decoders as my old dvd player????? I could understand that if it was just on the DTS movie, but not all the other 5.1 movies I tried. And why the abilty to set the delay on one Optical connection and not the 2nd Digital Optical. Also, in the Gig Opt that allowed me to set the delays(the cable tv ) it allowed me to set the delay anywhere from 0-10 millasec on the center and rears, However, the Dig Opt for the Blu-Ray which is where I really want the full range of formats, it only allowed a change for delay on the surrounds and it was from something like 18-30 millasec. What the hell is going on?

Anyway, Let me know what you guys think?

Thanks so much
    Tim

Any ideas? Please help me figure this out.
    Last edited by tp; 01-09-2010 at 03:40 PM.

Suspended
    Hi Tim, first go into the Blu-ray player and make sure the unit is set to "bitstream". Hopefully, it will remain in bitstream while watching movies. Since the HDMI is going to TV which would have to be PCM 2 channel audio since the TV wouldn't accept a bitstream, I don't know if it will let you choose bitstream. But you need it to bitstream in order to go through the optical output. It should but I'm just not sure. My Samsung would bitstream and I had a HDMI hooked to it. Let me know if this does the trick.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    I set up a blu ray player (Sony) for the first time this morning. I also used HDMI to connect it to the TV and I used a coaxial cable to connet to the reciever. I had some audio problems too. One of the problems that I had was that the blu ray default for audio was HDMI. I had to go into the audio settings on the BD player and change to Coaxial/Optical cable. Check your audio settings on the BD player and see if you need to change them to recognize the optical cable.

One thing that I'm sure of. You've come to the right place for help. The guys here are great and will stick with you to help you figure out the problem and solution.

Good luck!

tp
    Forum Regular
    Mr Peabody, I don't know how you do it, you are always here, always have an answer and in this case AGAIN, you were dead on right.

HUGE THANKS, what a relief, I was stressing,

Thanks to you and the following poster. I am gonna go back to the audio setting on the Blu-Ray and double check a few of the settings.

THANK YOU!!!!

Tim

Suspended
    You are certainly welcome.

Thread Information