AR Newbie Registered Member

Receivers, HK, Denon

Am contemplating a new receiver, for Home Theatre, and for Classical music listening. Am looking at HK DPR 1001 or AVR 525 or 630, 7200,
    or Denon 3803, so sound quality is important. Also DVD players, get SACD/DVD Audio?? HK dvd 101 or Denon DVD2200. Hear evil things about both companies re service and backup. Help!!!

They both have their followings and put out products that appeal to a lot of people.

That said check out the Yamaha RX-V1400 or RX-V2400. I think YPAO [Yamaha Parametric Acoustic Optimizer] is the feature to beat to get back in the game. It has a mic that is placed in the listening position, sends a series of test tones thru the speakers, and calibrates the settings in the receiver to adjust to the room. It works very well. Build quality is solid and they have a reputaton for dependability. IMHO it sounds great. YPAO is not yet offered in the HTR line of Yamaha.

Here's a link to the RX-V2400:

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/R...R/RX-V2400.htm

Happy hunting.
    TinHere

Enjoying a virtual life.

at those dizzying prices, you should also look at better HIFI gear like NAD ROTEL ARCAM B&K, especially since you are concerned with music...these all will have some examples below

find a local dealer and go listen, you will be happy you did, they will probably have a denon you can compare to also...

b&k avr200
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=14981

nad t752
    http://www.800stereo.com/prods/nad-t-752.html

some of these will also be rated lower wpc than you are used to seeing, but they will be more powerful and dynamic as the dynamic reserve and high current work to big sound. ie I am using a Nad integraded rated at like 45wpc and it blows the doors off my old HK 70wpc and Pioneer 100wpc!!!!!!!!!!!!! Trust me you are only looking at circuit city type stuff so far...

You will also see a quality receiver will handle 8, 4, and 2 ohm loads. ie the NAD puts out 175 wpc at 2 ohms, this is the dynamic power !

I compared the Denon 3803 against the HK 525 and the matchup proved a mismatch. I found the 3803 a huge disappointment. The Denon felt cheap, looked like a early 90's receiver and had a dull - non-engauging sound. Plus, the remote was just horrible. The HK was more modern looking, had a ton of 2nd zone features, accurate amp ratings, solid construction and bass management for all inputs and surround formats. Another nice feature is the front panel inputs that can be converted to outputs for digital recording, etc. One negative I should mention is the limited # of digital inputs. It should be enough for most though.

I cannot speak for the others you mentioned, but do try to demo each even if you cannot compare directly against one another.

About two years ago I auditioned the denon and harman kardon. I ended up with the harman kardon. Just didnt like the sound of the denon, plus the harman kardon looked better to me. I think harman kardon is more accurate concerning there wpc too. I can say that I haven't had any problems with my harman kardon so I don't have any experience with there warranty service. I can say that the online web support is very good. They have never taken more than 2 days to answer a question. I was impressed with this web service. Anyway, its really up to you to decide which way to go. Let your ears determine, thats what I did. Good luck, Paul.

Between h/k and Denon, you do have some uncertainties. h/k had some major reliability problems a few years ago that seriously damaged their reputation. Supposedly, they've fixed that by going with a new outsource manufacturer and getting back to their roots with how they design their power supplies. Denon has not had any major issues that I'm aware of, but you do hear more grumblings about their receivers not built as well as before. Also, their customer support is not as good as before.

I seriously doubt that you'll hear huge differences in the sound quality (though with the DSPs engaged, you might hear bigger differences than in the default modes), so really the way you should evaluate the units is to look at the connectivity, user interface, build quality, remote, etc. A lot of those kinds of everyday issues might matter more in the end.

Forum Regular
    I have the Marantz 7300 refurb and find it very musical, better than the Denon. Haven't compared it to an H/K, though. Good luck.

Forum Regular

Gotta go with either Tin hear or Arcam

Depends on what you want in the end. If you want something for movies that can really sing, look at a Yamaha. If you want something that can really sing but can play movies, look at the Arcam. I have never had them side by side though. I have owned Arcam amplification in the past and was very pleased with it.

If you don't have an Arcam dealer nearby, buy the Yamaha and don't look back. Better to my ear than Denon or Marantz. The h/ks sound really good, but I'm still a bit shakey on them do to somewhat recent reliability issues. Haven't heard much in the past few months, but haven't been active either. I'm in "wait and see" mode.

Space

And Wooch, the difference in soundstaging, imaging, and overall definition is pretty noticable.

Forum Regular
    What I had been told when I was looking at putting together a home theater system a couple years back by folks in the industry was that Onkyo and Denon were doing the "best thing" in receivers -- of course, in their classes, which are quality VALUE for the home audio enthusiast. After recommendations from a friend and knowledgable sales folk in one shop in New York City, I went with an Onkyo TX SR600, and, for the money, it gives you a TON, and it's a high-end looking and feeling product. But if I didnt go with the Onkyo, I would have bought a Denon. I still believe they are the two best brands right now in the receivers game -- OUTSIDE of labels such as Rotel, NAD, Integra (well, which is Onkyo) and whomever else is making higher end stuff. So going with a Denon (although their ergonomics/looks don't seem so hot compared to others in this game) wouldn't be a bad thing, based on what I have personally heard. Just wanted to share with you what was told to me about Onkyo and Denon receivers.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Well, I finally seem to be coming down, after all your various and incredibly helpful advice, to HK 630/7200, or Arcam AVR200 if I could get a really good deal, or the B&K 507, and for DVD the new HK 31, which should be out soon.
    I must say, that the advice that I have had here has been incredibly valuable, and though as yet have not bought, but will within 10 days, I thank you all very much.

Quote Originally Posted by davimack
    Well, I finally seem to be coming down, after all your various and incredibly helpful advice, to HK 630/7200, or Arcam AVR200 if I could get a really good deal, or the B&K 507, and for DVD the new HK 31, which should be out soon.
    I must say, that the advice that I have had here has been incredibly valuable, and though as yet have not bought, but will within 10 days, I thank you all very much.
    I don't own one, but for classical music I heard the Outlaw brand is a good choice and for DVD you can't go wrong with the any of the following Pioneers 563a, 45a or 47i
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Thread Information