Forum Regular

Receiver Upgrade

Been reading the forum for a while and was hoping to get some opinions on upgrading my current receiver. I currently have a Yamaha RX-V540 in my HT setup, and am thinking of upgrading to the Denon AVR-3805. My current system uses Paradigm Monitor 9 v3 for the fronts with a Paradigm CC350 center and Monitor 5s for the rear surrounds. This is the first system I've put together and it's taken me a little over 2 years due to budget constraints. Any information or advice I receive will be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Tar Heel
    Been reading the forum for a while and was hoping to get some opinions on upgrading my current receiver. I currently have a Yamaha RX-V540 in my HT setup, and am thinking of upgrading to the Denon AVR-3805. My current system uses Paradigm Monitor 9 v3 for the fronts with a Paradigm CC350 center and Monitor 5s for the rear surrounds. This is the first system I've put together and it's taken me a little over 2 years due to budget constraints. Any information or advice I receive will be greatly appreciated.
    What's wrong with your yammie?

I would get the 3806 instead. It has HDMI connections which will be required by everyone pretty soon for security reasons (HDCP).

The bass management features will also really help your system.

The only thing I would suggest would be to consider getting a quality subwoofer first.

It will make a much more dramatic difference for Home Theater use over a receiver upgrade .

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by westcott
    I would get the 3806 instead. It has HDMI connections which will be required by everyone pretty soon for security reasons (HDCP).

The bass management features will also really help your system.

The only thing I would suggest would be to consider getting a quality subwoofer first.

It will make a much more dramatic difference for Home Theater use over a receiver upgrade .
    Forgot to add - I do have a PDR 10 sub. Sorry for the confusion.
    LJ - Nothing really, was looking at adding some HDMI capability for future growth plus a little more power. I appreciate all of the replies so far.
    Last edited by Tar Heel; 01-19-2006 at 06:25 AM.

Forgot to add - I do have a PDR 10 sub. Sorry for the confusion.
    LJ - Nothing really, was looking at adding some HDMI capability for future growth plus a little more power. I appreciate the all of the replies so far.
    You may want to hold out a bit longer,or not.

But from what I've read, HDMI is basically in it's infancy stage and new versions are on the way that will allow greater convenience. From what I understand version 1.1 already is available but we will soon have versions 1.2 and 1.3 which will allow SACD and the new HD audio formats to be carried over the HDMI cable.

Read this thread (post #2) for a more technical answer of what I'm trying to say.

I was considering getting the 3806 myself, but there's no need to rush. I'd rather sit back and let things fall into place before I go upgrading for minor gains.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    You may want to hold out a bit longer,or not.

But from what I've read, HDMI is basically in it's infancy stage and new versions are on the way that will allow greater convenience. From what I understand version 1.1 already is available but we will soon have versions 1.2 and 1.3 which will allow SACD and the new HD audio formats to be carried over the HDMI cable.

Read this thread (post #2) for a more technical answer of what I'm trying to say.

I was considering getting the 3806 myself, but there's no need to rush. I'd rather sit back and let things fall into place before I go upgrading for minor gains.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll wait and see for now. The Yamaha works great and has everything I need for now. Thanks again for the help.

And LJ helps another satisfied member.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Yeah, with the speakers you have, I'd almost suggest upgrading the subwoofer before the receiver. Or you could do both for the cost of the 3806.
    Something like the Yamaha RX-V657 or HTR-5860 ($350-400 street price) would offer you more power, Yamaha's YPAO auto-setup/ parametric eq, and enough connection flexibility for a few more years. The PDR-10 is the weak link your system from what I can see. Not that it's bad, but your Monitor speakers are really a good step up on it.

A better sub won't just play louder, it'll play clearer, more defined bass. There's other options besides Paradigm, but the PW-2100 and PW-2200 are pretty nice units if you're intent on staying with them. HSU and SVS get good praise, I'm partial to the Dayton Titanic MKIII sub kits from Parts Express for the money.

Dude, you aren't the same "Tar Heel" that's been here at ar.com for a few years now, are you?

Forum Regular
    As wescott noted, the 3805 gets GREAT reviews but it doesn't support HDMI... the 3806 does, but it's a bit more pricy. You might hold off a few more months and wait for the Denon AVR-2807 that was introduced at the CES. It appears to be positioned between the 3805 and 3806. Makes me wonder if the 3805 is on it's way out?

http://reviews.cnet.com/Denon_AVR_28...2.html?tag=nav

I'm just holding off on my purchase for a bit. I don't know when the "newer" HDMI versions will be available, but you'll hear some folks say "don't leave home without it" while others profess it to be much ado about nothing. Are most receivers firmware upgradable? How does that work (updating them)?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Yeah, with the speakers you have, I'd almost suggest upgrading the subwoofer before the receiver. Or you could do both for the cost of the 3806.
    Something like the Yamaha RX-V657 or HTR-5860 ($350-400 street price) would offer you more power, Yamaha's YPAO auto-setup/ parametric eq, and enough connection flexibility for a few more years. The PDR-10 is the weak link your system from what I can see. Not that it's bad, but your Monitor speakers are really a good step up on it.

A better sub won't just play louder, it'll play clearer, more defined bass. There's other options besides Paradigm, but the PW-2100 and PW-2200 are pretty nice units if you're intent on staying with them. HSU and SVS get good praise, I'm partial to the Dayton Titanic MKIII sub kits from Parts Express for the money.

Dude, you aren't the same "Tar Heel" that's been here at ar.com for a few years now, are you?
    Different Tar Heel - sorry
    I've been looking at the SVS line thanks to the many glowing reviews on this forum and a few others. Thanks for the recommendations.

Thread Information