left, right, rear surrounds

Well, I finally moved my multipole surrounds to the side walls after having them on the rear wall for two years. I had an electrician tell me that they couldn't get the speaker wire through to the one side so I gave up. I got bored the other day (snowed in) so I cut a hole in the wall and ran a small plastic pipe through, then the wire. I got lucky and was able to jam the pipe behind the 2 x 4's because there was insulation behind the frame.
    Anyway, to the questions...For a 6.1 setup, should they be set to dipole or bipole. The manual only says that dipole is "especially effective for dolby prologic when mounted on side walls." I have it set to dipole and just moving them to the side walls made a bigger difference than I imagined. I'm just curious was the general thought was on this. I know I can play around with it. I listen to a lot of dolby digital, DTS, sacd's and dvd-a's also so I didn't know if the more direct bipole is consider better for this.
    Also, for the rear surround. I'm only using one speaker because the room is pretty narrow. I thought I read that you should use the same speaker as your front center. Is this really that important? I have a small satellite at the moment and could put something larger there but my center is 26" long and I don't have the room for anything that size. My satellite only goes down to 150hz but I'm using a Hsu VTF-2 sub.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm sure you'll get a more technical answer than my reply, but i want to throw some ideas at ya. First, for multichannel music, bipole speakers are preferred because they produce a more localized effect. For DTS/DD each person has a different preference on the di/bi/mono speaker setup. You should experiment. If dipole is superior for movies then you may need to switch them depending on your source. i.e. SACD/DVD-A = bipole and DTS/DD = dipole.
    About the rear center, i think using another matching center speaker is counterproductive. Center speakers are designed for one purpose and that purpose isn't to be hung on a wall with minimium use. I suggest using the same speaker as your rear speakers. Hope this helps...

surrounds

Thx for the advice. I thought that might be the case for SACD and Dvd-a but hadn't tried it yet. I'll probably be snowed in again tomorrow, so I'll play around with it.

Thread Information