Which receiver for me?

Printable View

• 11-27-2007, 10:34 AM
    fireincairo
    Which receiver for me?
    Hey everyone. Looks like a great forum here. Relatively in depth post but “simple” question, haha.

So I’ve been doing lots of research into receivers. I have basically come down to two choices (but of course open to suggestions). The features I’m looking are of course a lot considering my price range, but we’ll see how it turns out.

My current setup:
    -Olevia 32” LCD (can’t remember model number at the moment)
    -Sony PS3 (for blu-ray movies)
    -Xbox 360 (older non-“elite” model with the component output – no HD-DVD player addon)
    -and soon to come Polk Audio RM6750 5.1 speakers ( Amazon link to specs).

The speakers will be a Christmas present, so it is entirely possible to change them for what may be better speakers within the price range. I got them for $200 (normally $400) on Black Friday and from my research, they seem to be the highest quality within my price range. I think I will stick with those.

Anyway. My primary concerns are the best video and surround audio (from movies) using my Blu-ray PS3 capabilities and similar for the xbox (great surround while playing games). I would like optical connections for the sound and both of the following receivers provide that.

Research and talking with others has led me to two choices: Harmon Kardon AVR 147 (Specs from HK website) and Onkyo TX-605 (Amazon link to specs).

I have heard that the HK provides better sound and (?)less distortion? I don’t know. But I have been recommended that HK over the Onkyo. I actually do prefer the HK for its aesthetic appeal and the iPod dock that you can get. BUT, my concern lies within what to me is the unknown. If you look at the specs for the HK, the HDMI is “switching” only. It does not have “audio and video processing," or "No Video Conversion or Upscaling.” What does this mean to me? I have heard that I need conversion for the component connections so that it will allow component input to HDMI output….? Can someone explain that to me?

The HK AVR 247 has "audio and video processing;" is that what I'm looking for the component conversion? I have definitely heard horror stories with that model and it is more expensive than what I wish to spend. Can someone help me out? I apologize for how long this is, but it basically covers all of my concerns (less what I have forgotten).

Thanks for your help! I need ot make this decision soon and my lack of knowledge isn't of help, hehe.
  • 11-27-2007, 10:41 AM
    fireincairo
    oh, by the way
    The 7.1 on the Onkyo doesn't necessarily mean much to me. I'm not suckered into +2 speakers = better.
  • 11-27-2007, 11:10 AM
    L.J.
    I'd go with the Onkyo. It has everything you need and allows to take advantage of all the features your PS3 has to offer including SACD and HD audio playback. Stay away from the 147. The 247 offers more but I've read alot of bad things on that model too.

The 605 will allow you to hook your analog video sources, like your xbox via component, and output it over the single HDMI connection going to your display. But in most cases, you would want to run your video directly to your display and optical to your AVR for sound. I only run video through my AVR if necessary.

You should run your PS3 into your AVR via HDMI though, so you can take advantage of BR HD audio, which is only available via HDMI on the PS3.
  • 11-27-2007, 11:39 AM
    fireincairo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by L.J.
    I'd go with the Onkyo. It has everything you need and allows to take advantage of all the features your PS3 has to offer including SACD and HD audio playback. Stay away from the 147. The 247 offers more but I've read alot of bad things on that model too.

The 605 will allow you to hook your analog video sources, like your xbox via component, and output it over the single HDMI connection going to your display. But in most cases, you would want to run your video directly to your display and optical to your AVR for sound. I only run video through my AVR if necessary.

You should run your PS3 into your AVR via HDMI though, so you can take advantage of BR HD audio, which is only available via HDMI on the PS3.

So, for the red highlight: SACD? HD audio?

Blue: So from what my post was saying, the HK 147 will not allow me to have video (that ISN'T hdmi) run through the HDMI output to tv?...hence no "conversion?" Therefore the Xbox component (or other connected things) wouldn't be able to go to the tv via HDMI?

Gray: So optical audio isn't beneficial for the PS3?

Thank you!
  • 11-27-2007, 12:01 PM
    L.J.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fireincairo
    So, for the red highlight: SACD? HD audio?

Blue: So from what my post was saying, the HK 147 will not allow me to have video (that ISN'T hdmi) run through the HDMI output to tv?...hence no "conversion?" Therefore the Xbox component (or other connected things) wouldn't be able to go to the tv via HDMI?

Gray: So optical audio isn't beneficial for the PS3?

Thank you!

Info on SACD:
    http://www.sonymusic.com/sacd/faq/index.html

Info on HD audio:
    http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/1064

I didn't look up the info on the 147 but if it does "switching" only than yes, your statement is correct.

On the PS3 you will definitely want to use HDMI going directly to your AVR for sound.
  • 11-27-2007, 12:37 PM
    fireincairo
    I've looked into these. The SACD doesn't interest me much at the moment. But, the HD audio does. But, I have heard before that the PS3 doesn't support HD audio. Here's one thing that mentions it. What do you think?

I've definitely heard that the HK puts out better sound than the onkyo, so that is a concern as well. Will HD audio be that beneficial if I can't get great sound out of the speakers? Please take into account, I have been limited in comparing the sounds myself . Traveling to several different audio stores, I was not lucky enough to get a good comparison. So, my perception of Onkyo's not giving good sound is based on a friend's opinion (who works at Audio Advice - a very high end audio store, you know, sells speakers for $20,000, etc).

Having only one component (xbox) connection, the HK's HDMI output's lack of conversion may not be a bad thing.
  • 11-27-2007, 01:55 PM
    L.J.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fireincairo
    I've looked into these. The SACD doesn't interest me much at the moment. But, the HD audio does. But, I have heard before that the PS3 doesn't support HD audio. Here's one thing that mentions it. What do you think?

I've definitely heard that the HK puts out better sound than the onkyo, so that is a concern as well. Will HD audio be that beneficial if I can't get great sound out of the speakers? Please take into account, I have been limited in comparing the sounds myself . Traveling to several different audio stores, I was not lucky enough to get a good comparison. So, my perception of Onkyo's not giving good sound is based on a friend's opinion (who works at Audio Advice - a very high end audio store, you know, sells speakers for $20,000, etc).

Having only one component (xbox) connection, the HK's HDMI output's lack of conversion may not be a bad thing.

That link is no longer accurate and it shows some changes that were made. The PS3 supports uncompressed pcm & TrueHD. It currently does not support DTS MA, but that could be said about most BR players. Just a few players are capable of outputting DTSMA and would would need an HDMI 1.3 AVR for that. Rumor is that the PS3 will be able to decode DTSMA via firmware update in the future. With that said, most BR discs have a uncompressed pcm track and very few support DTSMA so the PS3 is fine.

If possible you should compare the 2 units. I've never heard HK before so it's hard to say. You will find fans of each of these units. Both are known for making decent products and one is not gonna greatly out do the other. Auditioning these units at home and spending a little with each one is the only true way to find out which one you like the best. If you really want to go with HK, look at the 247 which accepts audio via HDMI. In the end though, I don't think either is gonna make a night or day difference as far as sound is concerned. The 605 offers greater flexibity though and that's something to consider.

The speakers you choose will make the biggest difference in SQ.