Thread: Receiver Life

luvs2jam60

Receiver Life

I have a Sony receiver. It's nothing special, about 4 or 5 years old, and only has Dolby Digital/Pro Logic tech in it, as far as surround is concerned. It overheated on me about 3 years ago and had to get the power supply repaired, however that was because I idiolically put my CD player on top of it (I was only 15 at the time, cut me some slack). I am wondering if I should be worried about the lifetime of it and how much longer it will last me. It is on about 7 hours a day (I live in a dorm, so you know how that is) and does not have a cooling system, and there is about 1 in on the sides for venting and about 3 in on the top. Should I worried about it overheating again and shorting out? Keep in mind it is an old receiver, and I know its difficult unless one were to actually reserach the exact product, but I was wondering if anybody knew a general rule-of-thumb about this. I know of receivers 10 and 15 years old that still run fine, but I'm guessing those were 10 or 15 years of TLC. If anybody could help, that would be awesome. For reference, its a Sony STR-DE435. Thanks!

I have a 10 year old pioneer reciever, it's only prologic, but I had it in dorms my whole undergrad, I always had my 101 cd changer, vcr, dvd player, books, who knows whatelse ontop of it, and it has never overheated...

it is still running strong to this day, and when I finally decide on which reciever to purchase, I will probably use it on my computer (which means I'll probably have more stuff piled up on it...)
    as long as the vents have an inch clearance, I would not worry about cooling, but then again, you're has overheated already, so perhaps your reciever needs a bit more?

also note, I had a nice sub, so I did not crank the bass on the reciever, nor did I use the bass boost built in... if you are using these options, the power supply will heat up more so...

hope this helps,
    Mike

Thread Information