receiver help

Printable View

• 09-20-2008, 09:23 PM
    antsai
    receiver help
    hi there,
    I recently got a good deal on a pair of Jamo 775 speakers and I was wondering if someone can help me find a good receiver to drive them? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

anthony
  • 09-20-2008, 11:57 PM
    elapsed
    Hi antsai, welcome to AR! A few questions for you..

1. Are you building a 2-channel stereo system or a surround system?
    2. What are the dimensions of your room?
    3. What are your sources (e.g. DVD, Blu-Ray, PVR, CD Player, turntable, game consoles etc)
    4. Is this system primarily for music, sports, movies, gaming?
    5. What type of music do you listen to?
    6. What is your budget?

cheers,
    elapsed
  • 09-21-2008, 02:01 PM
    antsai
    Good questions... right now I'm thinking of just doing a 2 speaker system. I haven't really thought about my budget but just trying to start a system that I can build on and looking for mid-level equipments. This will be mostly for movies and some music (all types, but very little classical). The room is about 12x12 ft. As for equipments I have, just have a JVC HR-XVC1U DVD player. The rest are yet to come ;) Yeap, I'm just starting to build my system now...
  • 09-21-2008, 02:13 PM
    elapsed
    In that case I'd suggest getting an integrated amp instead of a stereo receiver, this way you build a really solid stereo system over time.. For a good quality mid-fi system I would start by auditionning Cambridge Audio, Rotel, NAD, Arcam, Cyrus, etc. You can also find some fantastic deals on s/h equipment on Audiogon if this is something you might consider.

But budget is still an important factor.. are you looking at $500, $1000, $2000, more?

If the system is primarily for music, you'll also want to consider upgrading your CD Player. The Marantz CD5001 is really popular on this forum, this would be a great start. I think there is also a new 5003, it's very reasonably priced as well.

cheers,
    elapsed
  • 09-21-2008, 03:41 PM
    antsai
    Thx, elapsed.

I'm thinking of $500 range. What would you suggest?
  • 09-21-2008, 06:27 PM
    blackraven
    If you don't plan on doing HT then look at the Onkyo 9555 integrated, Yaamha AX-596, Cambridge Audio 640A V2 and 540A. These will probably be in the $500-600 range.
    Also consider the Outlaw Audio RR2150 receiver for $600. Its a powerful receiver and will drive most speakers that you throw at it. It also has a bass management system.
  • 09-21-2008, 10:07 PM
    pixelthis
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blackraven
    If you don't plan on doing HT then look at the Onkyo 9555 integrated, Yaamha AX-596, Cambridge Audio 640A V2 and 540A. These will probably be in the $500-600 range.
    Also consider the Outlaw Audio RR2150 receiver for $600. Its a powerful receiver and will drive most speakers that you throw at it. It also has a bass management system.

NOT to mention an USB input.
    And it really looks cool! :1:
  • 09-22-2008, 01:05 AM
    RoadRunner6
    Well, he did say

"trying to start a system that I can build on and looking for mid-level"

So I'll take him at his word that he wants a "receiver" in the $500 range. He also said mostly music so I can't believe he won't want to a expand later to a 5.1 HT system.

http://hometheatermag.com/receivers/808onk/

http://electronics.pricegrabber.com/...ype=bottomline

http://electronics.pricegrabber.com/...ype=bottomline

I recommend when you do expand you buy a Jamo center speaker that matches your Jamo 775's. The same goes for the surrounds. Do not mix speaker brands for the best surround sound. You want to have a smooth voicing/timbre match from all the speakers for both movies and music.

RR6 :o
  • 09-24-2008, 12:22 PM
    antsai
    Thanks for the inputs, guys.

RR6, you read my mind. I am planning on buying a Jamo center speaker when I have more funds :)

I like all the choices. I think I'll probably go with an AV receiver b/c I like to be able to use it for the TV that I'm going to buy. I also appreciate the suggestions on receivers that looks beautiful as well as play beautiful sounds. What else would fit that?