music fanatic

starting from scratch

At the moment I have no home theater equipment and little to no experience with it...right now I use my computer setup for almost all of my audio needs...but I would like to change that. Let me give you a run down on my situation and the direction I'm looking at the moment and maybe you could lend me some advice...as I don't want to lay down a bunch of money just to make a newbie mistake...

1. Situation: mid sized room, apartment, system geared more toward music, but eventually capable of HT surround

2. My thoughts: get a decent mid range reciver worth building a system around, get a decent pair of mid range floor or bookshelf speakers...enough to fill the room with a relatively full range of sound. In terms of the future....I tend not to like that cheap subwoofer sound (esp from the home theater in a box types), but I noticed that 300W Athena sub at BB (not sure of the model #) blended much better than most subs I've heard. So that could be a possibility as well as a passive sub, though i haven't had a chance to demo one.

3. Price range: Reciever $300-500, Speakers $300-500 (or a little more), want to keep my overall budget around $1000

4. Stuff I'm looking at:

a. Speakers

Infinity 40s - never listened to them, but they're about what i'm looking for (I think), infinity seems to be a good brand

Athena SF-2s - BB guy turned me on to them, have a nice full range, seem reasonably priced and blend well with other speakers in their product family

Klipsh S-2s - slightly more sensitive than the Athenas, but not quite as balanced across the sound spectrum, particularly in the upper midrange (from what I could hear at BB). I also like the fact that they are pretty small for floor speakers, yet still provide nice sound

JBL E80s - nice full sound but maybe a little too much distortion in the lower freqencies (could have just been the store setup though)

b. Recievers

Yamaha HTR-5650/HTR-5660 - decent power, the features i want, Yamaha seems to have a good rep

Sony STRDE895/STRDE995 - not so sure about sony receivers, but I like the features, esp AFD

Of course I can't really test the recievers, and I don't really have any experience with them...so this is where some input would come in handy. i'm basically looking for the best bang for the buck and enough power to run a decent set of floor speakers and eventually a full HT set up.

If i had to put my money down today I think I'd go with the Athena SF-2/Yamaha combo

Suspended
    Well, I hate to burst your bubble, but, with that list, you ain't got much a prayer for a bang. Maybe a squuk for your buck, but no bang.

What you need to do is rethink your plan. Come up with a list of decent components (though the Sony receiver is a great choice for starters) and build from there. Perhaps an increase in budget will get you out of the lower end components and into a better than "Sears quality" system.

Check back with us after upping the budge and let us know of your progress. Feel free to post your questions because there is no such thing as a stupid question. Silly, maybe, but not stupid.

God luck dude, and stay in touch.

music fanatic
    well that's not exactly the reply i was looking for...I have several hobbies to sink money into, and listening to music is just one of them. if i could afford a home theater the cost of a decent car, i'd get one, but i can't...hence the budget. I find it hard to believe that you can't get a decent reciever and pair of speakers for around $1000...they don't have to be all that loud...just relatively clear
    i find it odd that the one component you mentioned is what i believe to be the weakest in the list. i've heard that sony recievers tend to be a little flat....well, at least you could have offered something more than...spend more money...and another thing, to clarify, i'm not really looking for a bang, but rather something that sounds decent at relatively low volumes...i live in an apartment. i just need to fill one room with a decent range of sound with components that will deliver as little distortion as possible (for my money)
    i own a $4000 mountain bike...I'll admit that after owning it, i can certainly feel the difference between my bike and say a $500 bike...but i'm not going to tell anyone that the $500 bike won't get the job done...

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bacchanal
    well that's not exactly the reply i was looking for...I have several hobbies to sink money into, and listening to music is just one of them. if i could afford a home theater the cost of a decent car, i'd get one, but i can't...hence the budget. I find it hard to believe that you can't get a decent reciever and pair of speakers for around $1000...they don't have to be all that loud...just relatively clear
    i find it odd that the one component you mentioned is what i believe to be the weakest in the list. i've heard that sony recievers tend to be a little flat....well, at least you could have offered something more than...spend more money...and another thing, to clarify, i'm not really looking for a bang, but rather something that sounds decent at relatively low volumes...i live in an apartment. i just need to fill one room with a decent range of sound with components that will deliver as little distortion as possible (for my money)
    i own a $4000 mountain bike...I'll admit that after owning it, i can certainly feel the difference between my bike and say a $500 bike...but i'm not going to tell anyone that the $500 bike won't get the job done...
    Wow, that reply to your post really sucked. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't get good sound for a reasonable amount. You most assuredly CAN! I would not base my ideal system around a receiver though. What you want to do is go out and find some speakers that you like, and build your system around them. So my advise is to spend MORE on your speakers than on a receiver. There's some decent receivers in the $300 range, and there's a bunch of good speakers at the $700-1000 price point.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Forum Regular

Quality definitely within reach...

You might want to look at Onkyo's Receivers. I have one, and can only describe it as very solid. Features are on par with everyone, and the sound is very balanced and full. The big difference I see between $300, $500, and $700 dollar receivers are more watts (ask these folks about watts and decibels and things I don't understand and see the response) and Channels. It doesn't seem like you are going to be needing 7.1 sound anytime soon so why pay for it? You might get an extra few inputs, but again it just doesn't seem like you need them now. So go high on speakers, and get a solid receiver.

Oh well, there goes the neighborhood.

Geoff, pay no attention to this Aldo whatever. He's a recent arrival and it's fairly obvious to many that has nothing positive to add and simply goes around pissing in everyones cornflakes.

Let's hope nobody thinks his sarcasm has any real value. Sad to say, but many who don't know any better might take him seriously. There's the real pity.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Oh, forgot to give you some speaker pics; Cambridge Soundworks Tower II. On sale for $499. http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/s...zzz&type=store

This speaker will seriously blow away anything offered at Bestbuy or Circuit City. You also get a 10 year warrantee and a 45 day money back guarantee. They are also efficient so you can have a lower powered amp and they will still sound great.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Your budget is plenty to get a good two-channel system started. The only upfront decision is if you plan to eventually add on for multichannel, which will dictate the type of amp you get. As far as the speakers go, you have some good choices, but it seems that those are what you find at Best Buy and Circuit City, and that's a bit confining. A lot of the other speakers that you frequently hear people recommend on this board like B&W, Dynaudio, Paradigm, Energy, PSB, NHT, Vandersteen, or Magnepan are only available through specialty audio stores, and you should definitely give those a good listen before deciding. A lot of their offerings aren't even more expensive than what you typically find at the big chain stores. In general, I would suggest that you max out your speaker budget, but if you eventually plan to add on, you should aim for a higher level receiver if you can afford it.

The Yamahas that you specify are good entry level models. Between those two models, I would opt for the 5660 because it has preouts, which will let you add an outboard amp, and 6.1 output. Keep in mind that the 5650 and the 5660 are the same thing as the RX-V540 and RX-V640. The only difference is that the RX-V series is only sold through specialty stores and the HTR series is sold at general merchandisers and mail order houses. Keep in mind that the RX-440, 540, 640, and 740 are about to get discontinued, and stores that carry those models have already begun closeout sales. The 740 is probably the model you should aim for because it has the on-screen display, programmable remote, and a phono jack. On closeout, you should be able to find it for well under $500. Typically, the HTR models go on closeout at least a couple of months after the RX-V models, so your best bargain right now is to find a Yamaha dealer that carries the RX-V series. If you can find a closeout buy on the RX-V1300, you should strongly consider that, because it's got a more durable chassis and higher capacity components in the power supply section.

Sonys are unfortunately more hit or miss. In the past, Sony has had major power supply reliability problems with some of their DB and DE series models. You should check the reviews section of this site and see if there are any major issues with the Sony models that you're interested in. Typically, Yamahas are known for their reliability, so at least you won't have that as a worry.

music fanatic
    Thanks for the replies...you've definitely given me something to go on. I'll try spend a fair amount time hitting the specialty shops over the next few weekends and doing as much listening as possible. I think I have a pretty good idea in my mind of the sound I'm looking for, so I guess i'll just have to break away from the big chain brands and see what's out there as I have no experience with any of the brands you've mentioned. I know the more I listen though, the less patient I'll become...I've been putting off entering the HT world for way too long

Suspended
    Yamaha is way overrated.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldo WIngate
    Yamaha is way overrated.
    .......How do you figure?..........Zapr.

cam
    Keep in mind, WALDO can only speak one sentence at a time.

Forum Regular
    Last week I finally replaced my sony str de685 receiver with a denon avr1804. While I never had any trouble with the sony it was like every time I listened to it I got discouraged because I knew my speakers could do better. I have finally been satisfied with them by the improvements the denon has made in sound. The sony was great when i didnt know much about setup and was anxious to get started but the denon is great at justifying what i paid for everything else in the system

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldo WIngate
    Well, I hate to burst your bubble, but, with that list, you ain't got much a prayer for a bang. Maybe a squuk for your buck, but no bang.

What you need to do is rethink your plan. Come up with a list of decent components (though the Sony receiver is a great choice for starters) and build from there. Perhaps an increase in budget will get you out of the lower end components and into a better than "Sears quality" system.

Check back with us after upping the budge and let us know of your progress. Feel free to post your questions because there is no such thing as a stupid question. Silly, maybe, but not stupid.

God luck dude, and stay in touch.
    Aldo,
    In a reply to another thread, you endorsed speakers by Polk, JBL, and Sony - all speakers which can be purchased at Circuit City or Best Buy: Not exactly leaps and bounds above anything being considered by bacchanal and certainly not anything above mass market standards: Neither is the recomendation for a Sony receiver. The quality of the products you espouse is on par with those offered by Sears, not a cut above, as you would have bacchanal believe. Anyone with the slightest background in audio would easily recognize this fact and ignore you advice. Just in case bacchanal doesn't have this background, others have come forward to point this out to him... he should definitely ignore your advice. Seems like your posing as a "high-end" audiophile but your "Larry the Cable Guy" pedigree is showing through. I haven't quite figured out yet if you're all about trolling or you really want to pass yourself off as something which you are not... knowledgeable. Makes no difference either way, the best thing for people to do is just ignore your advice/comments. Regards.

Q

music fanatic
    i did some shopping around today. unfortuanately I found out that the local paradigm dealer is no longer in business, so I didn't get a chance to listen to some monitor7s, which is something I'd really like to be able to do.
    I did find a nice dealer that carried some decent speakers in my price range. They had the Klipsch Reference RF-15s, Boston VR1s, and Definitive BP-6Bs all in my price range (about $600 a pair). The RF-15s and the BP-6Bs sounded similar with that spread out sound from the bi polar and horn tweeter designs. I preferred the sound of the VR1s though, it was very clear and crisp, of course I'll have to listen to them more to determine how well they spread the sound around the room. I was listening to all of these through a Denon 1604, which the store had for $400. A guy in town who sells equipment out of his home said he could get me an 1804 for under $400. I'm thinking that the VR1s and the 1804 would work well and would come in just under $1000 after taxes, so it would fit my budget.
    I didn't find any great deals on any other recievers in my town...but the Yamahas and Denons in my price range seem to be adequate for my needs.
    Either way, I'd like to thank you guys for pointing me in the right direction. It was really eye opening to learn/hear the difference between the mainstream stuff and the specialty store stuff. I think I'll be doing some more listening before I make my purchase (don't have the cash right now anyway cause I'm fixing my car ), but I feel a lot more certain now that I'll find something worth spending the money on and that I will be happy with.

edit: I forgot to mention that I listened to some B&Ws also (i think they were 603 S3s), but they were pretty well clear of my price range. Nice looking/sounding speakers though...
    Last edited by bacchanal; 02-28-2004 at 01:58 PM.

Forum Regular
    Though you may want to replace/upgrade the speakers later on, I'd recommend going with the HSU Ventriloquist/VTF-2 combo for $660 delivered. This gives you an excellent subwoofer for your room that will likely stay in your system even after upgrading the speakers and, quite possibly, either a future bedroom system or something you can sell later on. This should allow you to pick up one of the aforementioned Yamaha receivers or one from either Denon, Marantz, or Onkyo. It would appear Rocket by Onix speakers would be to your liking but they are outside of your current price range.

music fanatic

...a little update...

thanks for the suggestions, but i'm not really in the market for a sub at the moment. I'm really interested in the best stereo set up I can afford (with an eye on expansion in the future). Also, with my budget there's really no way I can get good mains, a good sub, and a decent reciever...seeing as how a decent sub would eat up half my budget...my budget btw seems to be going up daily...oh well.

Anyway, I drove a fair distance to audition some Paradigm Monitor 7s today. They sounded pretty nice, but I think they're just a little too big for my space...I'm not sure, just don't know if I really need floor standers. Anyway, I asked if they had some Studio20s, they didn't, but they had one pair of Studio40s on display...those things were sweet! Iistened to them for about an hour through a marantz 7400 and then through a yamaha rx-v1400...just going through my demo cds. The guy said he'd give them to me for $800 (they've been used in the store for maybe 4 hours he said)...not sure if that's a good deal, but I guess the 20s retail for $700 a pair...so it seemed ok. Anyway he said he'd hold on to them for me cause he doesn't get too many people looking for Reference stuff in his small town, so I think I'm going to try to scrape together the money to get the 40s and I might hold off for one of those new Yamaha receivers if I can wait that long...otherwise I'll probably get an rxv740. Any thoughts on a Yamaha/Studio40 combo? I know the 40s have some 'personality' in the higher frequencies. I've heard Yamaha's sound a little brighter than some. I tend to like the high end of the 40s btw...i'm just wouldn't want to make the highs any more pronounced as I think it would affect long listens. Another thing to note is that I was listening with the grills removed and I know paradigm recommends leaving the grills on, which supposedly brings the speakers a little closer to neutral...
    If the 40s don't work out I'll probably go with the B&W 602s3s...they seem to be a pretty safe speaker choice. Nothing stellar about them, but nothing particulaly bad either...they can't match the staging of the 40s though.
    I'll probably go listen to some Boston VRM50s before I make my purchase...since i've shifted my focus to bookshelfs since the last time I was at the boston dealer. They seem to get nice reviews and are nice and small.
    Last edited by bacchanal; 03-06-2004 at 06:34 PM.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    bacchanal, I was in your sitch about a year ago. Listen to everything people say and read as many threads as you can stand, it'll make your head spin, but it is worth it. I'll throw in my .02 here, if you are looking for music then later HT, you might regret your initial purchase. I found in retrospect that my HT purchase is doubling extremely well as a music setup, it just took a good deal of tweaking. I ended up spending just over $1000 for the speakers and receiver, went with Energy Take 5.2 + 8.2 sub system for around 600 or 700 from an on-line dealer. After hearing them at my friends house I was highly impressed, good overall sound at low levels on up with no real problems. The receiver powering the speakers is a Denon AVR1803, though the newer models are what, the 1804 or the 1604 for the same near $300-$400 price range. Has all the features for HT and nice options for DSP, 5ch stereo or Dolby Prologic II when listening to a normal CD can really liven up some CDs.

Now that's just my .02, I personally have no regrets on the Denon or Energy speakers and have run all kinds of DVDs and CDs through it with no real disappointments. As well I live in an apt. and haven't had any complaints from the neighbors, though I save serious volume for daytime when people are gone, ie. Predator 'tree clearing' scene in DTS, the bass off the mini-gun is just GREAT.

Hope it helps, just make sure you get something that you like, and for the love of God don't buy Bose!

thanks for the suggestions, but i'm not really in the market for a sub at the moment. I'm really interested in the best stereo set up I can afford (with an eye on expansion in the future). Also, with my budget there's really no way I can get good mains, a good sub, and a decent reciever...seeing as how a decent sub would eat up half my budget...my budget btw seems to be going up daily...oh well.

Anyway, I drove a fair distance to audition some Paradigm Monitor 7s today. They sounded pretty nice, but I think they're just a little too big for my space...I'm not sure, just don't know if I really need floor standers. Anyway, I asked if they had some Studio20s, they didn't, but they had one pair of Studio40s on display...those things were sweet! Iistened to them for about an hour through a marantz 7400 and then through a yamaha rx-v1400...just going through my demo cds. The guy said he'd give them to me for $800 (they've been used in the store for maybe 4 hours he said)...not sure if that's a good deal, but I guess the 20s retail for $700 a pair...so it seemed ok. Anyway he said he'd hold on to them for me cause he doesn't get too many people looking for Reference stuff in his small town, so I think I'm going to try to scrape together the money to get the 40s and I might hold off for one of those new Yamaha receivers if I can wait that long...otherwise I'll probably get an rxv740. Any thoughts on a Yamaha/Studio40 combo? I know the 40s have some 'personality' in the higher frequencies. I've heard Yamaha's sound a little brighter than some. I tend to like the high end of the 40s btw...i'm just wouldn't want to make the highs any more pronounced as I think it would affect long listens. Another thing to note is that I was listening with the grills removed and I know paradigm recommends leaving the grills on, which supposedly brings the speakers a little closer to neutral...
    If the 40s don't work out I'll probably go with the B&W 602s3s...they seem to be a pretty safe speaker choice. Nothing stellar about them, but nothing particulaly bad either...they can't match the staging of the 40s though.
    I'll probably go listen to some Boston VRM50s before I make my purchase...since i've shifted my focus to bookshelfs since the last time I was at the boston dealer. They seem to get nice reviews and are nice and small.
    That perception about the Yammies sounding brighter than most is pretty dated. The receivers that I've heard over the past few years are fine. I use a Yamaha receiver and don't perceive any excessive brightness on that unit at all.

As for the speakers, they are indeed very nice and work equally well with music and home theater sources, which is why I opted to go with a Studio 40/CC/20 v.2 combo over the B&W 600 S2 series a couple of years ago. The v.3 Studio series has a little less kick in the lows, but has better balance and coherency all the way around, and the imaging is superb. When listening to the Paradigms, definitely leave the grilles on. Those speakers are voiced with the grilles on, and the diffraction pattern is also influenced by them. The 600 S3 series is also a well regarded option that should work fine for you. The reviews indicate that the newer versions are a little punchier than the S2 versions that I auditioned. Give the options a listen and assess for yourself whether the extra cost for the Studio series is worthwhile to you.

That deal for the Studio 40 would depend on whether you're talking about the v.2 or v.3 version. The v.2 version listed for $900, while the v.3 version lists for $1,100. The Studio 20 v.3 lists for $800. The thing I would caution you on is the cost of the ancillary components like the center and surround speakers. If you plan to eventually add on for a 5.1 configuration, you need to factor in those costs. It took me almost two years to complete my 5.1 speaker setup. I started with the Studio 40s up front, and then hooked up an old spare pair of Bose 301s that my wife had. Added the center speaker almost a year later, added the subwoofer six months after that, and the Studio 20s as surrounds a few months later. As I mentioned, the virtual surround feature on my receiver allowed for some surround functionality as the pieces got added on, so it's fine to start with two speakers and go from there.

music fanatic
    Thanks for the advice on the Yamahas. I'm kind of perplexed when it comes to recievers...I haven't been able to tell much difference between the models I've been listening to...I guess my ears (or memory) aren't THAT critical yet...or something. Anyway, I'll probably either get a vrx740 or a denon 1804 depending on the speakers I get...and I can just upgrade in a couple years if I feel the need...or not. Would it be worth waiting to get an HTR-5760 with ProLogic IIx? Are there any component differences between the HTRs and the RX-Vs...or are they really the same models? I guess the new lower end RX-Vs aren't coming out until semptember or something, and I can't wait that long.
    I was looking at HKs too, but they are just too ugly...sigh, good recievers though.

The Studio40s I was looking at were the V.3s. I need to go back and listen to them with the grills on. I'm pretty much down to the Studio40s and the Boston VR2s. The only thing the VR2s have on the Studio40s is that they seem to have excellent staging ability. It's hard to tell exactly where the speakers are, yet the sound is still crisp and clear. The Studio40s are a bit easier to pick out, but still have above average staging and imaging. The big benefit of the 40s is thier bass is more pronounced than the VR2s, so I'd feel less need to get a sub right away.
    I'm just going to have to take a couple weeks scrutinize these two models. They posses two clearly different sounds, but both have attributes that I really like. The goal is to end up with the model that I determine to be the most neutral.

Thanks for the advice on the Yamahas. I'm kind of perplexed when it comes to recievers...I haven't been able to tell much difference between the models I've been listening to...I guess my ears (or memory) aren't THAT critical yet...or something. Anyway, I'll probably either get a vrx740 or a denon 1804 depending on the speakers I get...and I can just upgrade in a couple years if I feel the need...or not. Would it be worth waiting to get an HTR-5760 with ProLogic IIx? Are there any component differences between the HTRs and the RX-Vs...or are they really the same models? I guess the new lower end RX-Vs aren't coming out until semptember or something, and I can't wait that long.
    I was looking at HKs too, but they are just too ugly...sigh, good recievers though.

The Studio40s I was looking at were the V.3s. I need to go back and listen to them with the grills on. I'm pretty much down to the Studio40s and the Boston VR2s. The only thing the VR2s have on the Studio40s is that they seem to have excellent staging ability. It's hard to tell exactly where the speakers are, yet the sound is still crisp and clear. The Studio40s are a bit easier to pick out, but still have above average staging and imaging. The big benefit of the 40s is thier bass is more pronounced than the VR2s, so I'd feel less need to get a sub right away.
    I'm just going to have to take a couple weeks scrutinize these two models. They posses two clearly different sounds, but both have attributes that I really like. The goal is to end up with the model that I determine to be the most neutral.

I would actually expect that Yamaha's new entry level receiver line will arrive within the next two months. Typically, they update their entry level receivers in April and May. Nothing wrong with your hearing -- the differences between receivers, when comparing in the same room at comparable levels, are usually more subtle than obvious. It's with difficult speakers and/or at high levels that you can pick out more audible differences. But, under normal conditions, the differences between speakers and the effects of room acoustics matter a lot more than the receiver or digital components do.

Thread Information