Good news and info regarding HD-DVD

Click here for some good info without the confusion and hype. Explains compatability ie, viewing HD-DVD on a 480 or 720p native projector. Also explains "motion blur" and it's relation to 24fps and it's relationship to HD-DVD, as well as explaining other improtant issues regarding HD-DVD.

Robert
    Projector: JVC DLA-SX21U (LCOS 1.5m Pixel)
    Lens: Panamorph PSO-SX21
    Screen: 133" 16:9
    AVR: Denon (Flagship) 5800
    LRC-Mains: Definitive Technology (Flagship) BP3000-TL
    Surrounds: Atlantic Technology (Flush-Mount) System 20eSR
    LFE-Subwoofer: Sunfire True Subwoofer
    HD Satellite / DVR: VIP DVR622 Receiver (30+ Hrs of HD)
    HD VCR: JVC SR-VD400US Pro D-VHS (True 1080i transmission via Component)

Dedicated Home Theater Specs & Pics

That's a good article and hard to disagree with anything in it, though I think that the point about motion blur at 24fps is overstated. I can't ever remember seeing it, and I'm willing to bet that I'm not in the minority. But I'm happy to stand corrected.

Also, if I pull out my cynic's hat (which I wear only on special occasions), some of it reads like a retailer's viewpoint. I don't know of anyone who's been willing to make a case for both HD DVD and Blu-Ray surviving in the market. The position would seem attractive only to someone with an investment in both--a rare bird. Whatever. It certainly would be fun for anyone interested to buy a Toshiba now and/or a Sony down the road if necessary, but how many even interested parties with typical budgets are willing to make that kind of commitment?

That's great news. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by robert393
    Click here for some good info without the confusion and hype. Explains compatability ie, viewing HD-DVD on a 480 or 720p native projector. Also explains "motion blur" and it's relation to 24fps and it's relationship to HD-DVD, as well as explaining other improtant issues regarding HD-DVD.

Robert
    Rob,
    This article goes into great lengths about the video. My problem with both formats has never been the video side, its the audio side. The spec's for getting Dts-HD and Dolby TrueHD are not even finished, so from the audio side, at least early in the game, you are not going to get all that you can out of these formats. The Toshiba will only output a 2 channel version of Dolby TrueHD, and if you only have analog intputs for 5.1(like most have), you will not be able to take advantage of either HD format at a 7.1 level.

I MAY buy the cheaper model of HD-DVD, however there is no doubt in my mind that I will be purchasing a BluRay player once HDMI version 1.3 is in the players, and the connection type is established.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Rob,
    This article goes into great lengths about the video. My problem with both formats has never been the video side, its the audio side. The spec's for getting Dts-HD and Dolby TrueHD are not even finished, so from the audio side, at least early in the game, you are not going to get all that you can out of these formats. The Toshiba will only output a 2 channel version of Dolby TrueHD, and if you only have analog intputs for 5.1(like most have), you will not be able to take advantage of either HD format at a 7.1 level.

I MAY buy the cheaper model of HD-DVD, however there is no doubt in my mind that I will be purchasing a BluRay player once HDMI version 1.3 is in the players, and the connection type is established.
    Excellent point regarding the audio side Terrence. I have been scratching my head regarding the whole audio thing so far anyway ex. HDMI only, or digital in also, how bout decoders?

I'll certainly not be the first "on-board" but will be soon to follow.........
    Robert
    Projector: JVC DLA-SX21U (LCOS 1.5m Pixel)
    Lens: Panamorph PSO-SX21
    Screen: 133" 16:9
    AVR: Denon (Flagship) 5800
    LRC-Mains: Definitive Technology (Flagship) BP3000-TL
    Surrounds: Atlantic Technology (Flush-Mount) System 20eSR
    LFE-Subwoofer: Sunfire True Subwoofer
    HD Satellite / DVR: VIP DVR622 Receiver (30+ Hrs of HD)
    HD VCR: JVC SR-VD400US Pro D-VHS (True 1080i transmission via Component)

Dedicated Home Theater Specs & Pics

As Terrence mentioned, it seems that HD-DVD has been released to market before finalizing the video AND audio specs, AND without the HDMI 1.3 spec that will be needed to carry these digital signals together. Just all the more reason to wait until things settle down, because right now the whole HD video disc race feels like a giant beta test, with paying consumers as the guinea pigs who will help these companies work the bugs out.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

I am also going to side with Blu-ray since the better studios seem attached to it and also seems like the better format....can't wait for the new HDMI to take place. Hurry!!!

Thread Information