Thread: Quick Question

Forum Regular

Quick Question

Hi all, new here and just have a quick question to ask..

i have an onkyo ht-s680...which i bought on a clearance sale and love it...but i recently moved in with a friend who has already wired his "theater" room for his old kenwood 5.1 system.

i want to show him what a much better system can sound like but since he only wired for 2 rear speakers, and doesn't really want to run more wires just for this temporary arrangement, i was wondering if i can safely run mine without the rear center hooked up?

also how will it effect the sound? i don't think much actually comes through the rear center...but i may not have it adjusted right either...still new at adjusting them properly...

thanks all

You're serious?
    I have a 7.1 Integra (basically an onkyo) and , except for the time I powered
    a sub with one, and trying out the rear center when I first got it, I have never
    hooked up these two useless channels that I cant understand why the receiver companies are making us pay for.
    Run one speaker, two, three, doesnt matter, especially those two useless
    rear centers that (IMHO) don't make any difference anyway.
    WHY CAN'T those of us that don't want to waste our money get a 5.1 receiver
    anyway? I would switch to them in a minute
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo1450
    Hi all, new here and just have a quick question to ask..

i have an onkyo ht-s680...which i bought on a clearance sale and love it...but i recently moved in with a friend who has already wired his "theater" room for his old kenwood 5.1 system.

i want to show him what a much better system can sound like but since he only wired for 2 rear speakers, and doesn't really want to run more wires just for this temporary arrangement, i was wondering if i can safely run mine without the rear center hooked up?

also how will it effect the sound? i don't think much actually comes through the rear center...but i may not have it adjusted right either...still new at adjusting them properly...

thanks all
    Hook things up the way you want then listen and decide for yourself. You are the only one who can answer your question. Not using a rear center speaker will not hurt anything. Configure your system for no rear center and don't worry.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Forum Regular
    yea i didn't think it mattered..just wanted to make sure...i'm one of those people who like to be reassured

thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo1450
    yea i didn't think it mattered..just wanted to make sure...i'm one of those people who like to be reassured

thanks
    Well, consider yourself "assured".
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Thread Information