Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

question for Sir T and any 3D owners

how can you tell if a 3D blu-ray movie will work with a active shutter system? One of my early-adapter customers purchased the 55" Sony HX800, glasses, transmitter, 3D capable blu-ray player, and audio gear. He picked-up "national geographic Sea Monsters in 3D" only to find out it does not work with the Sony gear (playback is fine, just not in 3d). After a service call I found out that the disc came with its' own glasses (polarized) and explained the difference to him. I then showed him how to simulate the 3d effect with the movie playing in 2d, not quite the same but he was OK with it. Anyway, how can this be avoided in future movie purchases? Skip the ones that come with their own glasses?

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AVMASTER
    how can you tell if a 3D blu-ray movie will work with a active shutter system? One of my early-adapter customers purchased the 55" Sony HX800, glasses, transmitter, 3D capable blu-ray player, and audio gear. He picked-up "national geographic Sea Monsters in 3D" only to find out it does not work with the Sony gear (playback is fine, just not in 3d). After a service call I found out that the disc came with its' own glasses (polarized) and explained the difference to him. I then showed him how to simulate the 3d effect with the movie playing in 2d, not quite the same but he was OK with it. Anyway, how can this be avoided in future movie purchases? Skip the ones that come with their own glasses?
    This is a really good question!

When looking for titles for that set, look for titles that say

To watch this movie in Blu-ray 3D, you will need a 3D-capable television that comes with active-shutter glasses and a 3D-capable Blu-ray player.

as in this example:

http://www.amazon.com/Cloudy-Chance-...1824102&sr=8-3

as opposed to the ones that say

This 3D disc requires red-and-blue 3D glasses and will play on non-3D enabled electronics. You do not need a 3D TV or 3D Blu-ray player to view this disc.

as in this example:

http://www.amazon.com/National-Geogr...1824102&sr=8-1

One works with any set(the old 3D technology), and the other works with active shutter glasses, like the ones that come with your friends set.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Forum Regular

thank you

thank you Sir; my customer brought the NG disc on Amazon, he's pretty understanding when it comes to consumer electronics and I am sure he would have seen that "disclaimer" Amazon is listing with their offering; do you think Amazon just started adding that info?
    By the way, I'm not a big fan of 3D but in your infinite wisdom, who would you say does the best job of it?

thank you Sir; my customer brought the NG disc on Amazon, he's pretty understanding when it comes to consumer electronics and I am sure he would have seen that "disclaimer" Amazon is listing with their offering; do you think Amazon just started adding that info?
    That might be the case as I can see the confusion it would create if they didn't. However, sometimes folks don't always pay close attention, and that can be part of the equation as well.

By the way, I'm not a big fan of 3D but in your infinite wisdom, who would you say does the best job of it?
    Cameron so far has the only full 3D production out there right now, so I don't think there is anything that can compare to Avatar yet.

When it comes to animation, so far the 3D champ in these eyes is Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaur. Out of the four 3D releases I own, that is the most problem free fully featured 3D disc out there. 3D with 7.1 sound is an unbeatable combination technically.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Cool

Infinitely small amount of wisdom.
    3D is just as screwed up in its current incarnation as its other failed attempts. And
    now it turns out that the "standard" is anything but.
    There is one classic truth, if the message is worthwhile, you will be able to convey it in 2d,
    B&W, color is nice, but "3D" is an unnecessary frill, great for a video game based piece
    of fluff, but you don't need it for a real movie, and why not wait until you have, oh, I
    don't know, a standard maybe? So you don't pay several grand for gear, and not
    have everything play on it?
    3D, like its previous efforts, is not ready for prime time, might not be for awhile, and
    3D watchers will have the headache, eyestrain, and non-compatible equipment to prove it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    Infinitely small amount of wisdom.
    3D is just as screwed up in its current incarnation as its other failed attempts. And
    now it turns out that the "standard" is anything but.
    There is one classic truth, if the message is worthwhile, you will be able to convey it in 2d,
    B&W, color is nice, but "3D" is an unnecessary frill, great for a video game based piece
    of fluff, but you don't need it for a real movie, and why not wait until you have, oh, I
    don't know, a standard maybe? So you don't pay several grand for gear, and not
    have everything play on it?
    3D, like its previous efforts, is not ready for prime time, might not be for awhile, and
    3D watchers will have the headache, eyestrain, and non-compatible equipment to prove it.
    What wisdom can a person who has not seen any current 3D presentation whether it be in a theater or at home can add to this discussion? Nothing, no experience should equal no opinion...unless your pixel who has opinions on everything, but knows nothing.

AVMASTER is asking for informed answers, not ones pulled from ones bum.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Suspended
    I've seen the 3D version of Ice Age and it is the best 3D available. I haven't heard it in 7.1, since I was in a video test environment.

This weekend Best Buy advertised a Samsung 50" Plasma 3D TV, 3D Blu-ray player, 3D Starter Kit with two additional pairs of glasses for $1799. For someone in the market for a TV, this isn't a bad deal. The Starter Kit usually runs $349 with additional glasses $149/each. Deals like this can make going 3D much easier.

Forum Regular
    3D TVs are getting cheaper, even MY favorite Philips LED LCDs are available with the 3D ready capabilities.....and in the future, most will come with this capabilities built in...then its up to us whether we want to use them or not.
    For the first time here in Portugal, there are places where one can check out these 3D TVs with the cable 3D channel contents and not the usual commercial 3D pushing stuff. There was a big queue, so I passed on that one.
    So, whats the difference in 3D images when the HDMI cable used is the 1.3 version instead of the recommended 1.4 version?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    What wisdom can a person who has not seen any current 3D presentation whether it be in a theater or at home can add to this discussion? Nothing, no experience should equal no opinion...unless your pixel who has opinions on everything, but knows nothing.

AVMASTER is asking for informed answers, not ones pulled from ones bum.
    Then where do you come in?
    I have seen 3D TV and am not impressed, and from another post on this thread , 3D is
    already selling at firesale prices, a record even for this storied format.
    Trying to sell even established formats in this economy is difficult, so would 3D be fun to have around as the gimmick of the week? SURE.
    But don't count on it.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Then where do you come in?
    I have seen 3D TV and am not impressed, and from another post on this thread , 3D is
    already selling at firesale prices, a record even for this storied format.
    Trying to sell even established formats in this economy is difficult, so would 3D be fun to have around as the gimmick of the week? SURE.
    But don't count on it.
    Nobody asked for your opinion, the OP is looking for ANSWERS to his question. Save your opinions for when somebody asks for it. And please hold your breath until they do.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

I have seen 3D TV and am not impressed, and from another post on this thread...
    I'm certainly not surprised since you place little priority in what many find to be a more realistic depth perspective when it comes to audio systems either. Only time will tell. As for me, I think Cameron changed the game. Just as early stereo *established* itself with somewhat hokey ping-pong effects, a lot of early 3D film tries too hard. I'm convinced that it is only a matter of time that 3D will evolve as did stereo into providing a simply more realistic perspective than flat film (mono sound).

rw

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    I'm certainly not surprised since you place little priority in what many find to be a more realistic depth perspective when it comes to audio systems either. Only time will tell. As for me, I think Cameron changed the game. Just as early stereo *established* itself with somewhat hokey ping-pong effects, a lot of early 3D film tries too hard. I'm convinced that it is only a matter of time that 3D will evolve as did stereo into providing a simply more realistic perspective than flat film (mono sound).

rw
    HE CHANGED the "game" maybe, but not the liability laws.
    Limited viewing of 3D in a theater is one thing, but extended viewing is another.
    Even a few hours can cause headaches, I CAN IMAGINE what happens when the kids
    of this country spend hours in front of the tube, as is their tendency.
    Every ambulance chaser in the country is salivating like a GERMAN SHEPARD
    looking at a kitten, some are probably pricing beach houses.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Even a few hours can cause headaches
    Speak for yourself. I've watched quite a few hours of current 3D content and don't share your malady.

rw

HE CHANGED the "game" maybe, but not the liability laws.
    Limited viewing of 3D in a theater is one thing, but extended viewing is another.
    Even a few hours can cause headaches, I CAN IMAGINE what happens when the kids
    of this country spend hours in front of the tube, as is their tendency.
    Every ambulance chaser in the country is salivating like a GERMAN SHEPARD
    looking at a kitten, some are probably pricing beach houses.
    Too much coffee is not good for you
    Too much water is not good for you
    Too many vitamins are not good for you
    Too much noise will give you a headache
    Too much high volume music will give you a headache
    Too much of anything is not good for you.

You ever heard of doing things in moderation?

I have watch four straight hours of 3D content, nothing negative happened. No headaches, no dizziness, and no eyes crossed. Since all manufacturers of 3D TV have warnings against extended use, the ambulance chaser will just suffer dry mouth.

Either you need to go actually see a 3D movie, or you need to shut the hell up on the issue - you don't know what you are talking about, and this ain't the 50's
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Cool

Too much coffee is not good for you
    Too much water is not good for you
    Too many vitamins are not good for you
    Too much noise will give you a headache
    Too much high volume music will give you a headache
    Too much of anything is not good for you.

You ever heard of doing things in moderation?

I have watch four straight hours of 3D content, nothing negative happened. No headaches, no dizziness, and no eyes crossed. Since all manufacturers of 3D TV have warnings against extended use, the ambulance chaser will just suffer dry mouth.

Either you need to go actually see a 3D movie, or you need to shut the hell up on the issue - you don't know what you are talking about, and this ain't the 50's
    Ever see those dump trucks that say "stay back 300 feet" on the back?
    THAT was put there as a dodge against paying for windshields, but has no
    legal standing, and they still pay for windshields.
    AND you outta know this aint the "fifties", you went to jr high there.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Wasn't it "The Jerk" who invented glasses that made everyone go crosseyed?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Ever see those dump trucks that say "stay back 300 feet" on the back?
    THAT was put there as a dodge against paying for windshields, but has no
    legal standing, and they still pay for windshields.
    AND you outta know this aint the "fifties", you went to jr high there.
    Even if you are 300 feet back, a rock can still hit your windshield and crack it. That warning was never meant to cover rocks, but turns and sudden stops.

When the manufacturers created their warning on 3D, they specifically covered themselves against liability for people who watched too much 3D in a short period of time, watched 3D while drunk of pregnant, or let their kids watch 3D unattended(and several other conditions). They knew that if you watched 3D under those conditions, there is a chance you could get sick, or damage your sight. Since there are so few condition that can make you sick or damage your eyes, then you would have to violate the conditions of the warning to have it happen to you, which nullifies any claim you would have against the manufactuers.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Forum Regular

Opinion

My opinion of 3D so far is the quality within the TV is exceptional, best picture I've ever seen (my preference Samsung) with the new LED LCD tv's which are 3D capable.
    But i must admit 3D is awesome to watch movies on the occasion as something new and different. I have not had any side effects from watching 3D just the pain of my uncomfortable couch.
    Also as with all technology in the world today and 3D is no exception it can only be improved to give a more life like and realistic experience.
    Sony Bravia 46" 200hz
    Yamaha RX-V3900
    Klipsch ICON VF35
    Klipsch SW450 sub

Quote Originally Posted by SHIFTY23
    My opinion of 3D so far is the quality within the TV is exceptional, best picture I've ever seen (my preference Samsung) with the new LED LCD tv's which are 3D capable.
    But i must admit 3D is awesome to watch movies on the occasion as something new and different. I have not had any side effects from watching 3D just the pain of my uncomfortable couch.
    Also as with all technology in the world today and 3D is no exception it can only be improved to give a more life like and realistic experience.
    This is how I treat 3D...as a special event the whole family participates in.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Cool

This is how I treat 3D...as a special event the whole family participates in.
    AS LONG AS YOUR "family " consists of two people, as there are usually only two plugs for
    3D glasses.
    Guess you can take turns, or maybe buy one of those TOSHIBA sets that don't require glasses.
    OH WAIT, you already spent thousands on the set you have, the one where folks have to watch two by two.
    Nevermind.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Talking

Even if you are 300 feet back, a rock can still hit your windshield and crack it. That warning was never meant to cover rocks, but turns and sudden stops.

When the manufacturers created their warning on 3D, they specifically covered themselves against liability for people who watched too much 3D in a short period of time, watched 3D while drunk of pregnant, or let their kids watch 3D unattended(and several other conditions). They knew that if you watched 3D under those conditions, there is a chance you could get sick, or damage your sight. Since there are so few condition that can make you sick or damage your eyes, then you would have to violate the conditions of the warning to have it happen to you, which nullifies any claim you would have against the manufactuers.
    NEVER been to court I See.
    IF ANYONE ever gets hurt from this crap, there will be a lawsuit, guarantee it.
    A no trespassing sign has never protected anyone from an attractive nuisance
    lawsuit, and no warning on these sets will stand up in court, especially since this is a new format, and the companies know the risks going in.
    THERE ARE WARNINGS all over cigarette packs, and the still got hit hard on lawsuits:
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

NEVER been to court I See.
    IF ANYONE ever gets hurt from this crap, there will be a lawsuit, guarantee it.
    A no trespassing sign has never protected anyone from an attractive nuisance
    lawsuit, and no warning on these sets will stand up in court, especially since this is a new format, and the companies know the risks going in.
    THERE ARE WARNINGS all over cigarette packs, and the still got hit hard on lawsuits:
    That's because there were no warnings on them about containing chemicals that would make you physically dependent on them.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

AS LONG AS YOUR "family " consists of two people, as there are usually only two plugs for
    3D glasses.
    Guess you can take turns, or maybe buy one of those TOSHIBA sets that don't require glasses.
    OH WAIT, you already spent thousands on the set you have, the one where folks have to watch two by two.
    Nevermind.
    Funny Pix, me and my two sons were enjoying Ice Age in 3D two weeks ago. So much for the only two people can watch at one time foolishness. It is called one plug handles one transmitter which handles more than one pair of glasses. Duh!
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Forum Regular
    I'm not a big fan of 3D. The last 3D film I saw was "How to Train Your Dragon" and I took the glasses off for half of it. However, I'm interested in having that capability with my next set. Are there sets being developed that do not use the glasses? Between the dog and the kids, I shudder at the thought of spending $150 a pair for shutter specs.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny B. Galt
    I'm not a big fan of 3D. The last 3D film I saw was "How to Train Your Dragon" and I took the glasses off for half of it. However, I'm interested in having that capability with my next set. Are there sets being developed that do not use the glasses? Between the dog and the kids, I shudder at the thought of spending $150 a pair for shutter specs.
    The manufacturers are working hard on a non glasses version 3D television set, but the first ones will be small(you have to get the viewing angle exactly right), and they will defiantly have a lower resolution than the shutter based 3D system current used. It presents the left/right eye images slight off axis of one another, and you have to sit right in the middle to get the best effect. That can be too confining for most folks, as you and somebody else would have to sit ear to ear to get the best 3D effect(boo on that!). 3D works better on larger LCD and Plasma screens that are 50" and over(seated at the proper THX specified distance), or on projection screens over 100".

By the time 3D is used in almost all set on the market, shutter glasses will be under $50. We are really early in the 3D game, and just like Blu ray, DVD, and various other new technologies, prices are high as manufacturers recoup their R&D costs. Prices are already falling as a result of manufacturing efficiencies, and lower prices on parts. The whole notion(as one poster puts it) of price cuts because the technology isn't selling is ludicrous. Samsung alone has sold almost half a million set world wide, and we have just started with 3D this year. Panasonic is also seeing decent sales of its 3D plasma's as well, especially in Japan.

Personally, I think 2011 will be a better year for 3D than this year if things improve economically world wide. 3D in the future will be as synonimous as HD in the future, as it is will become cheap to add that feature to sets 50" and over where the effect is most profound. I think 3D projection systems will also drive 3D, because that is IMO the best way to view 3D.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp