AR Newbie Registered Member

hdmi/dvi interface

I just bought a pana. s97 dvd player and when I connected it to my sanyo z2 projector with a hdmi/dvi adapter I couldn't get the player to output 720p/1080i.Panasonic are trying to tell me that I wont get HD images from the player when using a HDMI/DVI interface.All other people I have spoken to say that what panasonic are telling me is incorrect and I tend to agree with them.Has anyone else used the S97 with a DVI interface and have they had the same problem?

Forum Regular
    beejay

not that familiar with that player,but you will not get a hd feed from any of the outputs,all you can hope for is an upconverted signal,which may or may not look better than component input.depending on you display.
    hd dvd players have not come to market yet and will be much different than your panasonic.

thanks
    bill

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

musicman is on it

You will never get HD signals (or else blue-ray would be redundant, eh) but you can get upconverted signals. Some of these will be greatly improved, some will actually emphasize flaws in the film. And it will be totally dependent on source material--yet another A/V crapshoot.
    I don't own the S97 but I can tell you that my upscaler requires that both hdmi and components be hooked up and one must scroll through the menu to access proper set-up.You might want to consult your manual.
    From what I have read, the S97 has some respectable audio capabilities.I think there are some Burr Browns somewhere in the signal path?
    Anyway, good luck. I hope you get it functioning.

Quote Originally Posted by Beejay 66
    I just bought a pana. s97 dvd player and when I connected it to my sanyo z2 projector with a hdmi/dvi adapter I couldn't get the player to output 720p/1080i.Panasonic are trying to tell me that I wont get HD images from the player when using a HDMI/DVI interface.All other people I have spoken to say that what panasonic are telling me is incorrect and I tend to agree with them.Has anyone else used the S97 with a DVI interface and have they had the same problem?
    As the others have said, Panasonic is right here. If you want true HD through your HDMI input, then buy an HD-DVD player when they come out at the end of this month (3/28), or wait for Blu-ray which should be out a couple months later (the competing HD format)...

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    Rotel RB-985 5 X 100 Watt Amp
    2 Tyler Acoustics 2 Piece Linbrook Signature System
    1 Tyler Linbrook Signature Center Channel
    3 Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
    Panasonic BDT-210 + 350 Blu-ray
    Consonance Droplet CDP-5.0
    Sony 55NX-810 1080p 3D-LED HDTV

Office:
    Opera Audio Consonance CD-120
    Jolida 1301A 2 X 30 Watt Int. Amp (Sovtek Tubes)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Speakers

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Sorry everyone.I should have made myself clearer.When I refered to "HD" images I actually meant upscaled images (720p/1080i).These are sometimes called (incorrectly I admit) "HD".Panasonic were saying upconversion is not possible through a hdmi/dvi interface and of course they are wrong as I am now geting upscaled images passed beautifully via an el cheapo samsung dvdhd 850 to my dvi projector.There is still some sort of issue there though with hdmi/dvi as I tried 3 different denon models and 2 worked and 1 did'nt with the salesman having no clue as to why -- very strange.

As I told you a few weeks ago, Panasonic support was off-base. I'm glad that you were able to get a signal from other DVD players, as I suggested. I don't know which Denon gave you trouble, but as I said before, the difficulty is probably a failed HDCP handshake, which can be temperamental.

Ed

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Beejay 66
    Sorry everyone.I should have made myself clearer.When I refered to "HD" images I actually meant upscaled images (720p/1080i).These are sometimes called (incorrectly I admit) "HD".Panasonic were saying upconversion is not possible through a hdmi/dvi interface and of course they are wrong as I am now geting upscaled images passed beautifully via an el cheapo samsung dvdhd 850 to my dvi projector.There is still some sort of issue there though with hdmi/dvi as I tried 3 different denon models and 2 worked and 1 did'nt with the salesman having no clue as to why -- very strange.
    Is it any good, The Samsung 850, thinking of buying it. Pls help. Currently useing a Pioneer 45A.

Thread Information