Question about Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, and the Movie Studios

Are there any movie studios (aside from maybe Sony) that are EXCLUSIVELY releasing their films on either of the next generation formats? Most current status and maybe a link would be cool..

gracias
    eric

Warner and Paramount have released DVDs for both formats.

Universal Pictures has so far announced it will release only HD DVD titles.

All other major studio's are backing Blu-Ray, though some (most notably Disney) are holding back on any releases.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by elapsed
    Warner and Paramount have released DVDs for both formats.

Universal Pictures has so far announced it will release only HD DVD titles.

All other major studio's are backing Blu-Ray, though some (most notably Disney) are holding back on any releases.
    You are right on everything except Disney. Disney, through Buena Vista Home Entertainment is releasing the following on September 19.

Dinosaur*
    Eight Below*
    Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
    The Great Raid

On October 17

Glory Road*
    Haunted Mansion*
    Gone in 60 Seconds*
    Dark Water
    The Brothers Grimm
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by elapsed

Great question, ericl.

Seems every time I see this question asked, or a BluRay/HD-DVD debate erupt, I find conflicting responses...I've largely ignored the whole format war because it's:
    1. Boring
    2. Stupid
    3. Too early for me to buy a player

But lately I've seen some decent prices on hardware and I'm getting the itch.

Anyone know how many of "All other major studio's" that are backing BluRay aren't also hedging their bets and simultaneously preparing HD-DVD, even as a 2nd choice? It's one thing to "support" BluRay as the preferred format, it's another to practice what you preach.

Curious, too...Of the "Big 6", Sony and Fox are on the BluRay exclusive side (for now).
    Disney was until CEO ,Bob Iger, announced at the annual meeting Disney will play both sides, with preference for the BluRay format. Whatever that means.

Universal likes HD-DVD for whatever reason, and Warner and Paramount seem (to me at least) to have more HD-DVD titles available, though that may be just because of player availabilty for BluRay being a tad behind at first, and not be a show of preference?

I'm no Hollywood analyst, but looking at V8's market research, Warner, Paramount and Universal represent just over 50% of sales and rentals YTD 06, up from 05.. Fox, BV/Disney, and Sony just under 38%. Universal itself is over 2/3 of Sony and Fox in the exclusive camps, so their fairly close, and too small to influence the outcome themselves...looks like the fence-sitting Studios and therefore ultimately the consumers will end up deciding this. And that could take years.

I suppose in the end the Studio alignment is irrelevant to all but speculators, even Sony will follow the sales if it so happens HD-DVD was to emerge a clear dominant favorite.

Wonder if PS3/xbox 360 will have any impact at all for movies?

I could see Toshiba compromising on this stare-down, the license revenue split is too small..on 2005 $15.73 Billion DVD sales, license revenue was under $30 million, split between 7 companies. I don't know to what extent the split is, but I think equitably would be very close, if not correct. Under $4.5 million. That's a negligible accounting error to Toshiba, which stands to profit far more off selling the hardware, whether it be HD-DVD or BluRay, though the hardware licensing revenues are welcomed, and could be a small revenue source to fight for from Toshibas POV. Though Toshiba won't lose money on propriety just to win if there's more money in losing.
    Sony on the other hand, likes to fight to the bitter end on these things.

Thanks guys, here's an interesting link I found

Fox Announces Its Blu-ray Slate

Thread Information