AR Newbie Registered Member

Putting it all together - need help!

I recently purchase a Samsung LN46-A650 (arrives next week), Samsung Blu Ray BD-P2500 (arrived yesterday) and I one an Onkyo TX-DS787 receiver and use DISH DVR.

Can I use the Onkyo with my new equipment? Should I just connect the Blu Ray directly to the HDTV? Do I need to purchase a new receiver? Thanks for your help with this!

Quote Originally Posted by Real Novice
    I recently purchase a Samsung LN46-A650 (arrives next week), Samsung Blu Ray BD-P2500 (arrived yesterday) and I one an Onkyo TX-DS787 receiver and use DISH DVR.

Can I use the Onkyo with my new equipment? Should I just connect the Blu Ray directly to the HDTV? Do I need to purchase a new receiver? Thanks for your help with this!
    Welcome to AR,

You can use your Onkyo. You can run componet cables and an optical cable to the Onkyo from the BR and then run compont cables from the Onkyo to the HDTV. Some people prefer to skip the Onkyo with the component cables and just go straight to the HDTV. Either can be done (as long as your TV has enough inputs) and both have advantages over the other.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Okay. Thanks for the response.

Suspended
    For optimum performance of your new gear I'd recommend a different set up.

BD-P2500, very nice unit by the way, your new TV will do 1080p, the only way to view 1080p from the 2500 from Blu-ray discs and take advantage of the 2500's built in excellent standard DVD upsampling is to use HDMI. So take HDMI to your TV. You will also be able to take advantage of remote control features since both unit are Samsung and they will have some communication going on via the HDMI. I also recommend taking multichannel analog output from the 2500 and hooking it into the multichannel input of your 787 to take advantage of the 2500's built in decoding of HD audio (Tru-HD/DTS-MA). You'll want to set the 2500's internal audio output menu to multichannel PCM or it may just say "PCM". If using multichannel you will also need to set the speaker settings inside the 2500's menu. I hope they've improved over the 1200 as it had virtually none.

Dishnet claims 1080p on certain PPV channels. If you use them you should also use HDMI to TV. If not you could use component there as networks do not send a 1080p signal. At this point it's 1080i or 720p which component will do fine. And, use the optical output to 787's optical input. For viewing of non-surround TV you may want to also hook up a red/white analog audio for when the receiver is off. Or, you could go HDMI from Dish receiver to TV and just use an optical to receiver for surround audio.

The 787 looks to be a nice receiver just built before HDMI. If you needed an excuse to upgrade the Onkyo 806 would be comparible and you could use HDMI throughout the system.

Thread Information