Thread: what amp???

what amp???

my dad haves a 5.1 surround setup from B&W ( front: DM604 S3, center: LCR600 S3, rear: DM601 S3 subwoofer: asw600) he's concerned about his amplifier/receiver and want's to know what would be a better one in the 1000 to 2000$ price range. So I ask you guys, do you have any idea what would be a good surround amp/receiver. he now uses a yamaha rx-v1200RDS.

i hope you've got some ideas

thanks,
    Basite

Suspended
    He might consider the Nad T773 or T763. I have the 763 and I have come to appreciate its strengths. It has 6 channels with a honest 100 watts per. Not the last word in bells and whistles, but its basic performance is a large cut above the usual mass-market (Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer, etc...) receiver. It lists for $1399, but can be found for less if you look around. I got mine at DMC Electronics in Garden Grove, CA for considerably less. I'm pretty sure that they sell online

Happy Hunting!

Honestly, not sure what kind of improvement he'd get for $1k. I recently auditioned the 700 line, the bookshelf one (forget the number) and at one particular shop, the guy switched the amplification from B&K separates to a Yamaha receiver similar to what I own and I swear, I could not really tell a difference. What you might want to do is get a two channel amp for the towers and let the receiver handle the remaining channels. In that case, he could save some money and get a nice Rotel or Adcom amp. Folks around here praise Odyssey which I believe is an online operation. There's another member on this board (Shokhead) who runs 603s I believe from a Denon receiver, and he's never expressed doubt, that I remember, about the amplifcation quality.

golden ear
    basite, the electronics to perfectly match your BnW's could either be rotel or Classe. im just not sure if Classe would fit into your budget but choosing any between these 2 would make a perfect match for sure.

In that budget range you can easily get an Outlaw 990 pre/pro with a 5 or 7 channel amp that would kill any receiver in this range.

if he uses the yamaha as a temporarily pre-amp/signal processor, and a Rotel RMB-1077 as power amp (which it is), would that give good sound, or should he go for the rmb-1075??

golden ear
    Quote Originally Posted by basite
    if he uses the yamaha as a temporarily pre-amp/signal processor, and a Rotel RMB-1077 as power amp (which it is), would that give good sound, or should he go for the rmb-1075??
    the 604s are normal sized floor standers. the 70-wpc rotel power amps could easily drive them.

Thread Information