Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Talking pulled the trigger on an AVR-3808CI

just got her home, unboxing as we speak.

pics (and impressions) to come
    Home Theatre:
    50" Panasonic TH-50PZ77
    Denon AVR-3808CI
    B&W 603 S3
    B&W LCR600 S3
    Paradigm Cinema ADP v.3
    SVS PB12-NSD
    Xbox 360 250GB
    Playstation 3 60GB
    Explorer 8300HD PVR 320GB
    Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ 8TB
    Harmony One

2-Channel:
    Paradigm Studio 20 v.5
    NAD C320BEE
    NAD C521BEE

Lucky SOB

crap, already have a problem...my spades dont fit!!!

Suspended
    Congrats F0rge. I'm sure you'll get that straightened out. Don't know much about Kimber cables, but I think you'd get as sturdy and as well sealed a connection with the method I used with banana plugs, provided you've got enough room back there.

yeah i'm just cutting the spades off and going straight wires for now, at least until i can get some banana plugs on there.

so far i'm pretty super impressed

the fact that i can use my laptop over the network to do ALL the setup including renaming and re-assigning inputs to whatever i want is pretty amazing...

here's the pics i promised

new in the box

just out of the box

the back

everything connected, making sure it all works

now i just gotta put the stereo stand back together and do some speaker setup...all in all not too hard

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    The most important thing I see in your photos are three little words on the lower right back of the receiver.........."MADE IN JAPAN"..........

Holy Cow! I'm impressed! Even my last Nikkor lens is made in China (although the optics are still made in Japan). I hope Denon has improved their translation in the owner's manual over what they did in my old Denon AVR-3200. My wife is Japanese, if there is anything you can't figure out let us know (ha, ha .....I've had many big laughs trying to read some of my Japanese made product owner's manuals over the years....for a good laugh see www.engrish.com)

You've asembled a very fine system there. You got some great bang for the buck equipment including your Panny plasma.

Enjoy!
    RR6

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner6
    The most important thing I see in your photos are three little words on the lower right back of the receiver.........."MADE IN JAPAN"..........

Holy Cow! I'm impressed! Even my last Nikkor lens is made in China (although the optics are still made in Japan). I hope Denon has improved their translation in the owner's manual over what they did in my old Denon AVR-3200. My wife is Japanese, if there is anything you can't figure out let us know (ha, ha .....I've had many big laughs trying to read some of my Japanese made product owner's manuals over the years....for a good laugh see www.engrish.com)

You've asembled a very fine system there. You got some great bang for the buck equipment including your Panny plasma.

Enjoy!
    RR6

You beat me to the punch with that three little words comment.
    I have had two denons, hope yours is as nice as mine were.
    If I may be so bold, how much?
    AND does it have USB ?
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    You beat me to the punch with that three little words comment.
    I have had two denons, hope yours is as nice as mine were.
    If I may be so bold, how much?
    AND does it have USB ?
    i was pretty shocked about the japan thing too actually, and the manual is actually decent, but the OSD and internet-based setup are pretty slick, i didn't even need the manual

it has 2 usb ports, one front and one back, but you can only use one at a time

and you'll probably cringe at the price, but keep in mind I'm in Canada, MSRP was $1799, i paid $1390. i know i could have done ~$200 better in the states, but i'm pretty sure i would have gotten murdered on duty/customs. best i could do on Rich's rx-v3800 was $1370 and onkyo was either $799 for a 605 (that's right 605, $799) or $2499 for a 905, couldn't find an 805/875 to save my life.

Suspended
    $1370 for the Yammie's not bad. Other than the deal I got NOBODY was going lower than $100 off of MSRP, IIRC. Of course that was a couple of months ago...

So do you program the receiver through that "Denon Link" I see on the back? Looks like an RJ45 jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    So do you program the receiver through that "Denon Link" I see on the back? Looks like an RJ45 jack.
    nah through the ethernet jack, i just hooked it up to my router, fired up my laptop, typed in the receiver's IP into the address bar and voila! full control over the whole unit, including operation and setup (minus on/off functionality). it's really easy and faster than the GUI. plus you can save your setups onto your PC when you get everything done in case you lose your settings.

the denon-link is for other denon products, allows them to "talk" to each other i think.
    Home Theatre:
    50" Panasonic TH-50PZ77
    Denon AVR-3808CI
    B&W 603 S3
    B&W LCR600 S3
    Paradigm Cinema ADP v.3
    SVS PB12-NSD
    Xbox 360 250GB
    Playstation 3 60GB
    Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ 8TB
    Harmony One

2-Channel:
    Paradigm Studio 20 v.5
    NAD C320BEE
    NAD C521BEE

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Very nice purchase...and I look forward to some sound impressions.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Suspended
    Well, that's one up for the Denon then. I'm still trying to understand where the receiver's looking when it finds music on my computer.

I'm pretty sure the Denon Link allows the manufacturer to talk to it or for the custom installer to attach his device (not sure what it's called) for setup. That's why I assumed that was what the RJ45 is for.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Well, that's one up for the Denon then. I'm still trying to understand where the receiver's looking when it finds music on my computer.

I'm pretty sure the Denon Link allows the manufacturer to talk to it or for the custom installer to attach his device (not sure what it's called) for setup. That's why I assumed that was what the RJ45 is for.
    Rich, I'm thinkin' that your 3800 may be able to do the same thing. You can use a laptop/PC to setup the 2700. I haven't bothered with it, but maybe it would interesting to get into

Suspended
    Well, I don't want to hijack f0rge's thread so I'll post a question in my "...Impressions" thread.

Forum Regular

3808ci

Very very nice, I hope down the road to replace my denon 4800 with the 2808ci. I cant wait to hear what you got to say about the sound of this receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Very nice purchase...and I look forward to some sound impressions.
    that might take another day or two, but i'll let you know how it goes
    Home Theatre:
    50" Panasonic TH-50PZ77
    Denon AVR-3808CI
    B&W 603 S3
    B&W LCR600 S3
    Paradigm Cinema ADP v.3
    SVS PB12-NSD
    Xbox 360 250GB
    Playstation 3 60GB
    Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ 8TB
    Harmony One

2-Channel:
    Paradigm Studio 20 v.5
    NAD C320BEE
    NAD C521BEE

Very nice receiver. I've alway been a big fan of the higher end Denon equipment. The OSD looks great! Was it easy to get the Denon to interface with the computer?
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    Very nice receiver. I've alway been a big fan of the higher end Denon equipment. The OSD looks great! Was it easy to get the Denon to interface with the computer?
    yeah it was super easy, for the setup part anyway, just plug the receiver into the router, lookup the IP in the receiver's GUI/OSD, then plug that into the address bar. it's all web based so no program to install or anything

it's pretty cool cause they also offer a PDA link that brings you to a PDA friendly page that lets you used your network connected PDA as another remote. works pretty well on my iphone.

man i cant wait to get home from work and finally do some listening, it was 10:30pm by the time i got everything hooked up last night so i couldn't play music with much volume at all.

i did notice one oddity that maybe LJ can help. i'm using my PS3 as a bluray player, and with the new firmware that dropped yesterday it doesn't let you only pick PCM, but now gives you a whole list of values. i looked through it but just picked auto, assuming the ps3 and receiver would figure it out together.

now when i played a bluray (i am legend) which has Dolby TrueHD, the receiver said just "multi ch input".

is that how it's supposed to work cause the PS3 can only output PCM and not actual TrueHD? or did i do something wrong?

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by f0rge
    yeah it was super easy, for the setup part anyway, just plug the receiver into the router, lookup the IP in the receiver's GUI/OSD, then plug that into the address bar. it's all web based so no program to install or anything

it's pretty cool cause they also offer a PDA link that brings you to a PDA friendly page that lets you used your network connected PDA as another remote. works pretty well on my iphone.

man i cant wait to get home from work and finally do some listening, it was 10:30pm by the time i got everything hooked up last night so i couldn't play music with much volume at all.
    Ya know, I never even thought to try that. I wonder what'll happen...

doing some more fiddling, and oh my god, this must be the worst remote in the history of the universe...either i completely dont understand how to use it, or it cant even do something as simple as switching inputs...i mean come on...it's a remote, how hard could it be to figure out how to switch inputs???

well i cant figure it out...i wish i had my yamaha remote from my old receiver...yeah it's that bad...

Does it really help the sound to use fancy terminations?

Quote Originally Posted by f0rge
    yeah i'm just cutting the spades off and going straight wires for now, at least until i can get some banana plugs on there.
    How do expensive cables that claim to have a heavy special core material to handle bass and some other genuine or special alloy metal for the outer strands for treble work? It seems to me that you still get down to a stamped/formed/plated piece of metal at the connection.

Not knowing the answer to this question, I just used 12 guage monster copper cables, stripped back and doubled over to make a good hefty contact/termination with my speaker and AV receiver posts. It sounds like the signal is thoroughly complete. Explain (anyone) how I will audibly notice a positive difference from what I am doing and, hey, I'd be interested in doing it. Kind of like, what good is shielded cable, if interference signals have unfettered entry into your system at the unshielded terminals, i.e. stripped wire, bananas, spades, etc.

As long as the cable has mass to prevent electron loss and the connection is solid and not weak: what more, hmmm?

Nice new piece of equipment fOrge. Congrats. Let us know, like Rich has with his new 3800, how it does.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information