Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Cool

[QUOTE=BadAssJazz]Congratz!

I think you've made a great choice...as long as you're comfortable knowing that it's not 1080p. The thing is, as long as you don't have a reference plasma sitting side by side your TV, you really won't be able to distinguish between a 768 or 1080p at your viewing distance.
    But if you're anything like me, just knowing that there is more to be had in the market will cause you never ending consternation. It will slowly eat at you each time someone mentions 1080p. It will haunt your conversations. It will cause the hairs on your back to stand on end when you load your 1080p Blu Ray player. 1080p. 1080p. 1080P!!!!
    [QUOTE]Seriously, enjoy the new plasma. I'm just waiting for the prices to come down a bit more before I pull the plug on a bigger screen myself. (No, 42" isn't enough.)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

GTF
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    GHOD you are so funny! First you say that a RPTV is better than LCD, which even the most ardent hater of LCD WOULDNT SAY,
    even if drunk.
    SO plasma is the "correct" TV?
    Tell that to the people I work for, they wont talk about what happened to that Samsung plasma that was in the waiting room, the maintenence
    guy just mumbled something about "catastropic" failure and shambled off.
    Or what about the ones who suffered from burn in? Or a dead set when the gas leaked out?
    What about the increased chance of failure from excess heat,
    or the increased energy usage?
    HOPE you dont have kids, hate to think about that big chunk of glass near a bunch of rugrats, or dogs.
    Truth is, producing a video picture by shooting 30,000 volts through an unstable gas is about the dumbest way to make a TV ever invented.
    Its kinda like building a space shuttle to get to the stop and rob down the street.

You need to slow down.
    Your making a mistake.
    I "NEVER" said RPTV is better then LCD.
    I would rather have an LCD over a RPTV any day.

But I would also take a Plasma over any LCD.
    The only thing that counts is what's important.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF
    You need to slow down.
    Your making a mistake.
    I "NEVER" said RPTV is better then LCD.
    I would rather have an LCD over a RPTV any day.

But I would also take a Plasma over any LCD.
    The only thing that counts is what's important.
    These, I'm afraid are concepts that do not compute in his brain, GTF

It will be a LCD with another twenty years of life left in it
    Why would someone plan on keeping an LCD for over twenty years?

Perhaps it's my post that was construed as saying RPTV is better than LCD. I did say it looks as good. My reason for saying that is that I've really sat for extended sessions and watched a top-of-the line Panasonic HDTV rear-projection HDTV set on an HD cable box and I've watched for extended sessions some of the cheap off-brand LCD TV sets that are so popular. Maybe it's like the comparison between analog audio and digital...I don't really know. But it's not because of the argument one likes what he's used to (although there's merit to that argument). I'm used to my Sony.
    Last edited by 02audionoob; 09-28-2008 at 12:15 PM.

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    Lifespan
    There has been much misinformation about the longevity of today’s plasma
    TVs. Like all other display devices, there are two parts to a television. The first
    is the internal electronics. Modern circuit designs are extremely reliable and
    all televisions, including plasma’s circuits, are designed to provide extremely
    long life. The second part is the section of the television that produces light.
    In plasma, it is the phosphors within the glass panel. Phosphors are used to
    produce an image in standard picture tube (CRT) televisions as well, and in
    three-CRT rear projectors.
    Television manufacturers base the projected life of all TVs on “half
    brightness,” meaning the time it takes for the display to create an image
    that’s only half as bright as when the TV was new. The three-CRT rear
    projector is generally rated at 15,000 hours until half-brightness. Direct-view
    CRTs are generally rated to 30,000 hours. Panasonic plasmas have a half
    brightness rating of 100,000 hours – more than six times the life of CRT rear projection.
    This equates to more than thirty eight years at seven hours a day viewing,
    around the average daily TV viewing time per U.S. household. With its
    inherent high brightness, a Panasonic plasma will likely retain its image
    quality for many years.

and futhamore:

While a CRT direct-view television is an analog device that uses a picture
    tube and the plasma is a digital device, there are many similarities between
    the two technologies. Each display uses phosphors to create light.
    While a direct-view picture tube operates in a vacuum, and the plasma
    screen uses inert gases, both are completely sealed. There is no possibility
    of the gas leaking out (barring physically breaking the panel), and there is
    never a need to “recharge” or “refill” the plasma panel. Conversely, there is
    no possibility of moisture leaking in, it can never “fog up” like a car windshield
    and, unlike an incandescent light bulb, a plasma panel doesn’t suddenly
    “burn out.”

RR6

Suspended
    "life span", not to mention if you have an accident plasma may be used to increase your life span

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner6
    Lifespan
    There has been much misinformation about the longevity of today’s plasma
    TVs. Like all other display devices, there are two parts to a television. The first
    is the internal electronics. Modern circuit designs are extremely reliable and
    all televisions, including plasma’s circuits, are designed to provide extremely
    long life. The second part is the section of the television that produces light.
    In plasma, it is the phosphors within the glass panel. Phosphors are used to
    produce an image in standard picture tube (CRT) televisions as well, and in
    three-CRT rear projectors.
    Television manufacturers base the projected life of all TVs on “half
    brightness,” meaning the time it takes for the display to create an image
    that’s only half as bright as when the TV was new. The three-CRT rear
    projector is generally rated at 15,000 hours until half-brightness. Direct-view
    CRTs are generally rated to 30,000 hours. Panasonic plasmas have a half
    brightness rating of 100,000 hours – more than six times the life of CRT rear projection.
    This equates to more than thirty eight years at seven hours a day viewing,
    around the average daily TV viewing time per U.S. household. With its
    inherent high brightness, a Panasonic plasma will likely retain its image
    quality for many years.

and futhamore:

While a CRT direct-view television is an analog device that uses a picture
    tube and the plasma is a digital device, there are many similarities between
    the two technologies. Each display uses phosphors to create light.
    While a direct-view picture tube operates in a vacuum, and the plasma
    screen uses inert gases, both are completely sealed. There is no possibility
    of the gas leaking out (barring physically breaking the panel), and there is
    never a need to “recharge” or “refill” the plasma panel. Conversely, there is
    no possibility of moisture leaking in, it can never “fog up” like a car windshield
    and, unlike an incandescent light bulb, a plasma panel doesn’t suddenly
    “burn out.”

RR6
    Yes it does.
    And when does that happen? NOBODY KNOWS.
    That 100,000 hour estimate is , quite frankly, rediculous.
    They were never able to get a much less complicated CRT to last half that long.
    And has plasma tech been around 38 years?
    Of course not! This is based on (very optimistic) computer models.
    As for teh gas escaping, they had a real problem with this awhile back,
    but they "think" they have fixed the problem..
    But if teh pic was significantly better than LCD than it would be worthwhile if it only lasted ten years, the point is that its not.
    Longevity has to do with PQ also, how will the pic look after a few years, a decade?
    They never would have developed plasma if they had thought that LCD would take off like it did, that caught everybody by surprize.
    Now they have an expensive tech that is not nessesary, they have to get developement cost paid for, etc, and they were quite high.
    But in the long run plasma will be dead even in the short run it will
    start to fade, nobody is going to put up with its inherent problems for
    some imagined pq improvement that is very slight if it exists at all.
    Panny, normally a quite conservative company known for building
    quality products, is pushing plasma hard, if anybody can get it to work,
    they can.
    BUT that is the point, no one will ever get it to work
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    "life span", not to mention if you have an accident plasma may be used to increase your life span
    Like a plasma TV falling off of a wall and glass going everywhere.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Forum Regular
    Congrats on the purchase, and SO glad to hear you didnt buy a hunk of junk Vizio lcd.
    Plasma trumps lcd in every way.

Quote Originally Posted by Duds
    Congrats on the purchase, and SO glad to hear you didnt buy a hunk of junk Vizio lcd.
    Plasma trumps lcd in every way.
    That's not entirely true. Plasma is only better in regards to the picture quality. LCD's rule in all the other categories.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    LCD's generally have better speakers.

Forum Regular
    Silly me. i forgot LCDS dont fall on people and kill them, and dont leak gas. i'd rather have that than an awesome picture. BWAHAHHAHAHA!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    That's not entirely true. Plasma is only better in regards to the picture quality. LCD's rule in all the other categories.

And they weigh less. Don't leave that out. That's always been my top concern when picking out a TV. I have often asked the guy at Best Buy to let me pick up any TV I'm looking at.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular
    ahhh yes i forgot about that. that must mean my Marantz reciever is junk because its pretty heavy right? should i buy a new one that doesnt weigh as much?

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    And they weigh less. Don't leave that out. That's always been my top concern when picking out a TV. I have often asked the guy at Best Buy to let me pick up any TV I'm looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by Duds
    ahhh yes i forgot about that. that must mean my Marantz reciever is junk because its pretty heavy right? should i buy a new one that doesnt weigh as much?
    Yes, and then donate any equipment you have that is too heavy. I'll give you the address & pay the freight to ship your receiver, speakers, etc. Go get yourself a Bose.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Congrats! I have last year's model (...75U) and love it. I'm waiting for the chance to replace the old crt in the bedroom now.

nightflier

Some thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner6
    seven hours a day viewing, around the average daily TV viewing time per U.S. household.
    Not that it should surprise me, but jeez, that's a lot, especially when you consider how many TVs there are in this country.

My observation is that Plasmas are now noticeable less expensive than LCDs. And with the economy the way it is, I expect there to be a lot of pressure on retailers to move this year's stock before x-mas, so as long as some of you still have some money left over, there should be some great deals around the corner, indeed.

My concern with Plasma deal more with the intangibles: energy consumption, extra heat, weight, toxic waste, and the troubling fact that a Plasma TV has to stay upright. Now all the "green reasons" aside, that last point is important because not all shippers will honor the "this side up" label. I suppose if you buy the Plasma from a store, then chances are it came in a bundle of several TVs and they were all kept straight up. But if you're buying that sucker from an eBay shipper who doesn't know this and searches out the cheapest USPS shipping option, you're bound to be disappointed.

I haven't completely ruled out Plasma, but the "green reasons" are important to me. Oh, and while I may be the only one here to say it, I have no problem keeping a TV for 10-20 years. I've kept my CRTs until they died and I expect to keep my Plasma or LCD just as long. I keep my cars, appliances, A?V equipment and everything else as long as possible too - nothing wrong with that. As a matter of fact, I use a 23 year old Dynalab FM tuner and it's still going strong. I also have a pair of PS Audio amps that are from 1981, and%2
    Last edited by nightflier; 09-29-2008 at 03:30 PM.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    Not that it should surprise me, but jeez, that's a lot, especially when you consider how many TVs there are in this country.

My observation is that Plasmas are now noticeable less expensive than LCDs. And with the economy the way it is, I expect there to be a lot of pressure on retailers to move this year's stock before x-mas, so as long as some of you still have some money left over, there should be some great deals around the corner, indeed.

My concern with Plasma deal more with the intangibles: energy consumption, extra heat, weight, toxic waste, and the troubling fact that a Plasma TV has to stay upright. Now all the "green reasons" aside, that last point is important because not all shippers will honor the "this side up" label. I suppose if you buy the Plasma from a store, then chances are it came in a bundle of several TVs and they were all kept straight up. But if you're buying that sucker from an eBay shipper who doesn't know this and searches out the cheapest USPS shipping option, you're bound to be disappointed.

I haven't completely ruled out Plasma, but the "green reasons" are important to me. Oh, and while I may be the only one here to say it, I have no problem keeping a TV for 10-20 years. I've kept my CRTs until they died and I expect to keep my Plasma or LCD just as long. I keep my cars, appliances, A?V equipment and everything else as long as possible too - nothing wrong with that. As a matter of fact, I use a 23 year old Dynalab FM tuner and it's still going strong. I also have a pair of PS Audio amps that are from 1981, and%2

When they first started making plasmas they had to ship them in steel cases, and they still had a high rate of breakage.
    When I predicted that HDDVD is dead I got a lot of heat, even tho it was an eazy prediction.
    Now I have "dud" ( name fits) following me around like some kind of stalker (peruvian skies the II?) poor chap is obviously "simple" or something.
    But its worth the aggravation if I can save one person from making a mistake.
    For instance, "DUD" loves plasma, isnt that reason enough to stay away?
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by nightflier

How did I know that? Plasma's contribute to global warming right guys (Feanor)?

Forum Regular
    The smart people who want the best picture (isnt that why you buy a tv) are the people who buy plasmas. The people who listen to the saleskids in best buy, etc (who dont know the facts and make up sh*t about LCD being better, much like Dixie does) are the people who buy LCD.

When they first started making plasmas they had to ship them in steel cases, and they still had a high rate of breakage.
    When I predicted that HDDVD is dead I got a lot of heat, even tho it was an eazy prediction.
    Now I have "dud" ( name fits) following me around like some kind of stalker (peruvian skies the II?) poor chap is obviously "simple" or something.

Suspended

This one's turn...

SOP when shipping to test labs.
    Quote Originally Posted by pix
    As a member of the forums, this is what pix lives for. Say it long enough and eventually (insofar as A/V is concerned) it'll come true. Pix has been a member here for more than a year now.
    No, that's "Duds". Like the clothes, but I guess in your neck of the woods farmer overalls are only known as daywear.
    And herein lies the problem pix. Because of your posting style (or perhaps "demeanor" is a better word), IMO people tend to discredit you, so how exactly is anyone better off? I've said in the past that the name calling is sometimes humorus, but really, how does that help your stock and therefore the chance anyone's going to take you seriously? See my point?
    Not really. The occasional passerby doesn't know jack about Duds, but when they read this kind of thing with your username next to it, who do you think is going to get the *credibillity award*?

Plasmas and LCDs both have their plusses and minuses. Why can't we be just as happy for anyone who picks up a new toy no matter which one they ended up with?

I'll be buying plasma

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    How did I know that? Plasma's contribute to global warming right guys (Feanor)?
    Environment be damned.

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    You can take my plasma ... when you pry it from my cold dead hands!

RR6

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Environment be damned.
    The sun came up today, so Richie gets to play another day.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information