Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a

Pulled The Trigger ... 50" Plasma

I told my wife when the 50" Panasonic plasmas got below $1000, I wouldn't be able to control myself. Well, yesterday I saw the Panasonic TH-C50HD18 (768p) for $999 at Costco. Today it's sitting in our garage (yes it does fit in the trunk of a Honda Accord). I have to wait until my wife gets home from Japan in two weeks for help lugging it upstairs.

This is the same exact TV as the Panasonic TH-50PX80U (768p) (except for only 2 HDMI inputs). The model TH-C50FD18 (1080p), was still $1599 at Costco. The extra $600 was not worth it for me. As you might know, past about 8 feet or so most people cannot detect any difference. Our main seats are at 9 and 12 feet. These are this years entry level models with Panasonic. They have slighly fewer bells and whistles but nothing important for me except they lack the pro picture tweaks. They also have the anti-relfective screen and are suppose to be brighter and have improved contrast over the previous Panny models. The finish is a nice satin black. Thank God none of that reflective piano black like on the Pioneers and the Samdungs. I love the piano gloss black on my speakers but not for my TV!

For $999 I'm sure it will be fine. By biggest concern when I hook it up will be the PQ on SDTV. My 42" JVC plasma (480p EDTV) in the bedroom has an excellent picture on SD. With the latest high quality broadcasts deamed for HD such as the Super Bowl and the Olympics it is really impressive. Just goes to show that the resolution spec is not the most important part of a TV's PQ.

These new Panasonics now have an estimate of 100,000 hours! At 6 hours per day that is 45.6621004564 years (I would be the oldest man in Seattle). I know Pixelthis says that plasmas are dead. However, I'll be long gone before this one is even slighly down in brightness. Oh, btw, Panasonic has the best repair record according to CR with only a 2% repair history. The leaking gas BS is only for those who eat beans while watching TV. Visual Apex has a video showing a metal ball hitting a Panny plasma screen quite hard with no damage. My cardiologist won't let me drink anymore so there should be little chance of putting my empty head thought the screen!

I checked out all the reviews on many forums for the equivalent TH-50PX80U and read lots of praise. The nice thing about Costco is that I get a 3% rebate and it has a two year warranty and a 90 day return policy. I'll let you know if I find any problems. I know it's not a Vizio but I'll just have to suffer.

RR6

PICTURE QUALITY RATING: 95 (on the 75U)

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/p...th50px80u.html

Good one, 'Runner

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner6
    I told my wife when the 50" Panasonic plasmas got below $1000, I wouldn't be able to control myself. Well, yesterday I saw the Panasonic TH-C50HD18 (768p) for $999 at Costco. ...

PICTURE QUALITY RATING: 95 (on the 75U)

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/p...th50px80u.html
    Thank you for your detailed comments -- much appreciated by a poverty-stricken hold-out who hopes to go HDTV some day soon.

At this point I'd absolutely go plazma myself. Yeah, maybe LCD will eventually "win out" but plazmas are still selling pretty well. I'm inclued to believe the very slightly lower price of LCD and much lower weight of these units are big factors, but in reality its just another marketing triumph over the gulible consumer, (much like a McCain/Palin election victory would be -- as I have often pointed to my kids, half people in the world are of below average intelligence: scary).

In our case we'll probably go for a 46" or 47" since we'll need to sit about 8-9' from the screen and I think the slightly smaller size will be big enough. On the other hand I'm going 1080p. This will be not so much for the higher video quality from DVDs (or Blu-ray eventually), but because of the possibility of the use of the unit as a computer monitor where every pixel is bonus, IMO.

Congrats on a great choice.
    Last edited by Feanor; 09-20-2008 at 05:12 AM.

Suspended
    Man, how are you going to wait 30 days? Won't your girlfriend help

Looks like you've done your home work, suffer in peace. Heck, you almost sold me one and I don't even need it. I was just pricing some of the larger Plasma and LCD's, 60", give or take, and you can still spend some big dollar there. I guess I will try to get a bit more use out of my DLP.

Thanks Guys,

Feanor, I have found that the same sized plasmas of high quality actually run slightly less in price versus a comparable LCD. However, as the prices fall this is becoming almost a mute point anyway. The LCD's are lighter but no problem for me once it is in place. I'm not sure if this is a race to the death because each type has its own advantages. For my watching of TV and movies in a non-bright to dark room with the best PQ and off angle viewing as priorities the plasma is a no brainer for me.

Panasonic has introduced 4 models of 46" 1080p plasmas this year. The three higher models all have PC inputs as does the 50" 1080p (mine does not). I see the 46" TH-46PZ85U (1080p) goes for $1379 at BuyDig. Sounds like one of those should be right up your alley. Vizio has just introduced a new 32" plasma. Panny's has new 46 and 65 inchers. Plasma is dead ???

Mr Peabody, There seems to be a huge jump in prices when you go from the 58" Panny's to their new 65." The 58's seem to be running in the high $2000's. I talked a friend at work into the 58" 600U (768p) plasma that Costco sold out last spring at just over $2000. It has the finest PQ of any plasma I have seen including 1080p's. Plasma Buying gave it a 97 rating on picture.

I have to be very careful and keep my girlfriend a secret. My wife has only been in the US for 12 years now and she is very good at Fujitsu (woops, I mean Jujitsu). Recently I was dreaming and called out in my sleep "I love Suzie" (that's the name of my girlfriend). The next morning my wife was all smiles. She said she was so happy that I had yelled out in my sleep "I love sushi". Man, that was close!

RR6

Suspended
    LOL, and not to mention you want her to keep the Ginsu knives in the kitchen.

Cool

I told my wife when the 50" Panasonic plasmas got below $1000, I wouldn't be able to control myself. Well, yesterday I saw the Panasonic TH-C50HD18 (768p) for $999 at Costco. Today it's sitting in our garage (yes it does fit in the trunk of a Honda Accord). I have to wait until my wife gets home from Japan in two weeks for help lugging it upstairs.

This is the same exact TV as the Panasonic TH-50PX80U (768p) (except for only 2 HDMI inputs). The model TH-C50FD18 (1080p), was still $1599 at Costco. The extra $600 was not worth it for me. As you might know, past about 8 feet or so most people cannot detect any difference. Our main seats are at 9 and 12 feet. These are this years entry level models with Panasonic. They have slighly fewer bells and whistles but nothing important for me except they lack the pro picture tweaks. They also have the anti-relfective screen and are suppose to be brighter and have improved contrast over the previous Panny models. The finish is a nice satin black. Thank God none of that reflective piano black like on the Pioneers and the Samdungs. I love the piano gloss black on my speakers but not for my TV!

For $999 I'm sure it will be fine. By biggest concern when I hook it up will be the PQ on SDTV. My 42" JVC plasma (480p EDTV) in the bedroom has an excellent picture on SD. With the latest high quality broadcasts deamed for HD such as the Super Bowl and the Olympics it is really impressive. Just goes to show that the resolution spec is not the most important part of a TV's PQ.

These new Panasonics now have an estimate of 100,000 hours! At 6 hours per day that is 45.6621004564 years (I would be the oldest man in Seattle). I know Pixelthis says that plasmas are dead. However, I'll be long gone before this one is even slighly down in brightness. Oh, btw, Panasonic has the best repair record according to CR with only a 2% repair history. The leaking gas BS is only for those who eat beans while watching TV. Visual Apex has a video showing a metal ball hitting a Panny plasma screen quite hard with no damage. My cardiologist won't let me drink anymore so there should be little chance of putting my empty head thought the screen!
    I checked out all the reviews on many forums for the equivalent TH-50PX80U and read lots of praise. The nice thing about Costco is that I get a 3% rebate and it has a two year warranty and a 90 day return policy. I'll let you know if I find any problems. I know it's not a Vizio but I'll just have to suffer.
    POOR DEPRIVED LITTLE THING.
    Ever occure to you as to why plasmas are selling so cheap?
    And the guy who figured out the "lifespan" of your set, he used to work
    at Ford motor, came up with the 7500 mile oil change.
    A gas envelope is a lot more complicatated than a CRT, and if one of those lasted more than a decade you were lucky, and most conked out after five years.
    AND my Vizio is already hanging on its pole, because it only weights 48 LBS.
    One last "dig", 1080p does matter, a lot more than I though it would, really.
    This is like when they were pushing EDTV 480p plasma, because the tech couldnt compete with LCD screens, they were saying that 1080i
    didnt matter...
    AND the piano black is beautiful, btw, NO glare really.
    And that is all of the "digs' I will lay on you, don't want to spoil your
    Christmas and all.
    Enjoy your new toy, hope you surrive operating it!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Man, how are you going to wait 30 days? Won't your girlfriend help

Looks like you've done your home work, suffer in peace. Heck, you almost sold me one and I don't even need it. I was just pricing some of the larger Plasma and LCD's, 60", give or take, and you can still spend some big dollar there. I guess I will try to get a bit more use out of my DLP.
    You need 1080p is what you need, and fast.
    Really nice, I have run outta movies at Blockbuster and am starting on Movie gallery, even crap on this TV looks great.
    and my 5.1 is working, and MAN what an experience
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Thank you for your detailed comments -- much appreciated by a poverty-stricken hold-out who hopes to go HDTV some day soon.

At this point I'd absolutely go plazma myself. Yeah, maybe LCD will eventually "win out" but plazmas are still selling pretty well. I'm inclued to believe the very slightly lower price of LCD and much lower weight of these units are big factors, but in reality its just another marketing triumph over the gulible consumer, (much like a McCain/Palin election victory would be -- as I have often pointed to my kids, half people in the world are of below average intelligence: scary).

In our case we'll probably go for a 46" or 47" since we'll need to sit about 8-9' from the screen and I think the slightly smaller size will be big enough. On the other hand I'm going 1080p. This will be not so much for the higher video quality from DVDs (or Blu-ray eventually), but because of the possibility of the use of the unit as a computer monitor where every pixel is bonus, IMO.

1080P does make for a great computer monitor.
    And its not a question of "fooling" anybody, there used to be some
    small penalty in PQ in buying LCD, but not anymore, especially with a 1080p/24p source.
    Also regardless of what you pick you might want to go 42", the picture is quite larger than you might think.
    Its quite sufficent, really
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Cool

sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Cool

yep, you "pulled the trigger " alright.
    JUST HOPE YOU WERENT PLAYING RUSSIAN ROULETTE
    WHEN YOU DID SO.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Hey Pixelthis and Everyone, what do you guys make of the new Vizio 32" plasma?

http://www.vizio.com/productDetails....=1404&pid=1506

Man, that really came out of left field. It's the first plasma I've heard of below 37". After I thought about it for awhile I guess it's not a bad idea for a bedroom, kitchen or bathroom for those who just insist on a plasma. Very interesting move. I'll be curious to see how it sells.

RR6

Congrats on the new plasma. I'm with the others though. How can you buy it and then let it sit in the garage for weeks? I'd have moved a recliner and the stereo to the garage by now. The car can live outside for a while. It's not like it's snowing out.

All kidding aside, I'm sure you'll love it for many years. The newer plasmas don't have the same problems as the old ones. Burn in is all but gone, and the only ones that leak are the ones Pixie has dropped from the second floor.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    Congrats on your Plasma purchase RR6, and condolences on the loss of your drinking priveledges.

I was in a Walmart the other day buying some Mobil 5000 (mile) motor oil and I saw quite a few Vizio's on display next to the $5.00 DVD Bargain Bin (I'm not kidding). I couldn't really get far away enough to get a good view, but needless to say I suppose they fit the bill for the type of clientel Walmart serves.

Watch this...
    Quote Originally Posted by pix
    1080P does make for a great computer monitor.
    You need 1080p is what you need, and fast.
    I wonder how much longer before he starts criticising and flaming 720p owners?

Thanks for the belly laughs!

Talking

Congratz!

Hopefully by now, you've either found a good hand truck or a kind neighbor to help you move that TV into the house. I've only moved around 42" Panasonics, but they're not heavy by any means IMO. Option B would be to check the yellow pages for a moving service. Option C would be the slightly riskier finding a day laborer to lend a hand. 2 weeks seems awfully long to wait to see if the thing works or not.

I think you've made a great choice...as long as you're comfortable knowing that it's not 1080p. The thing is, as long as you don't have a reference plasma sitting side by side your TV, you really won't be able to distinguish between a 768 or 1080p at your viewing distance.

But if you're anything like me, just knowing that there is more to be had in the market will cause you never ending consternation. It will slowly eat at you each time someone mentions 1080p. It will haunt your conversations. It will cause the hairs on your back to stand on end when you load your 1080p Blu Ray player. 1080p. 1080p. 1080P!!!!

Seriously, enjoy the new plasma. I'm just waiting for the prices to come down a bit more before I pull the plug on a bigger screen myself. (No, 42" isn't enough.)
    *Panasonic 60" Plasma HDTV
    *Marantz AV7005
    *Marantz MM7055
    *Oppo Digital BDP-95
    *Silverline Audio Sonatina MK II
    *Silverline Center Stage
    *Silverline Audio SR11
    *SVS SB12

http://www.panasonic.com
    http://www.marantz.com
    http://www.oppodigital.com
    http://www.silverlineaudio.com
    http://www.svsound.com

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssJazz
    Congratz!

Hopefully by now, you've either found a good hand truck or a kind neighbor to help you move that TV into the house. I've only moved around 42" Panasonics, but they're not heavy by any means IMO. Option B would be to check the yellow pages for a moving service. Option C would be the slightly riskier finding a day laborer to lend a hand. 2 weeks seems awfully long to wait to see if the thing works or not.

I think you've made a great choice...as long as you're comfortable knowing that it's not 1080p. The thing is, as long as you don't have a reference plasma sitting side by side your TV, you really won't be able to distinguish between a 768 or 1080p at your viewing distance.

But if you're anything like me, just knowing that there is more to be had in the market will cause you never ending consternation. It will slowly eat at you each time someone mentions 1080p. It will haunt your conversations. It will cause the hairs on your back to stand on end when you load your 1080p Blu Ray player. 1080p. 1080p. 1080P!!!!

Seriously, enjoy the new plasma. I'm just waiting for the prices to come down a bit more before I pull the plug on a bigger screen myself. (No, 42" isn't enough.)

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..........

You are killing me.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Thanks, I appreciate the comments, both serious and humorous, (ILMAO)!

About a year and a half ago the JVC 42" went upstairs to the bedroom when I bought a new Panasonic 50" 768p Commercial Monitor (the Panny UK series) from Visual Apex (great online dealer). I did buy a stand since I didn't want to wall mount it. My wife thought it was very classy looking but unfortunately didn't care for the fact that it had no speakers. She didn't like using the surround system just to watch her daytime cooking and talk shows. I told her we would get a 50" consumer model when the prices dropped.

Last May my son decided he wanted to buy a similar Panny to wall mount. So I gave him ours (next three years X-mas present) and the JVC came back downstairs (the 27" Sony back to the bedroom from the garage...musical TV's) . So don't feel sorry for me, that old JVC really has a great picture. I go down to the garage several times a day so the new one doesn't get too lonesome.

I have 90 days for a no questions asked return from Costco if necessary. Before then I'll beg, borrow, or steal a Blu-Ray to do some test viewing. Later, I'll either wait for the Panny BD50 to drop another hundred or more (it's down to $499 now) or be patient and wait and save for the OPPO; probably the latter. I like companies that don't rush into the market and do it right the first time. Of course, I'll still wait a few months until they get most of the bugs out.

Anyway, if for any reason I'm not 100% satified at 768p then I'll return it and get the 1080p. I figure in three months (just before Christmas) the price on the 1080p will be down from the current $1599 to about $1199-$1299 and I'll be a winner either way.

I still feel the native resolution is not as important as color accuracy, contrast, black levels, scaling and processing in choosing a display. I would take a 768p Panny or Pioneer any day over a budget 1080p. My usual viewing distance for movies on the sofa is at 11 feet. The recliner is at 9 feet, but that is where my wife sits (she knows Jujitsu, remember?). If I do upgrade it will be due to the Blu-Ray of course.

It reminds me of when I tell friends that I've bought a new digital camera. The first questions they all ask is how many megapixles? The quality of the optics, quality of the digital processing and quality and size of the sensor are more important. All things being equal, extra megs are nice especially for large blow-ups and cropping (which I do on almost all of my shots). Sorry, I'm rambling on here.

RR6
    Last edited by RoadRunner6; 09-23-2008 at 11:23 AM.

The plasma trash talk from Pixelthis is emotionally and phsychologically tramatic and devastating to me as I'm sure it might be also to many of you. (I might have to go in for counseling)

However I do like to give credit where it is due. I must say that some of his photos really crack me up. The ceiling cat and the Pope are two of my favorites. Being subjected to seventeen years of Catholic education I especially appreciate the Pope photo. (OK, no smart ass better come on here and ask me if I had to do fourth grade twice).

RR6
    Last edited by RoadRunner6; 09-23-2008 at 05:02 PM.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssJazz
    Congratz!

Actually that is quite true.
    1080p started coming out right after I got my 720p, and its bugged me ever since.
    When I got a Blu player the fate was sealed on my 720p.
    AND yes there is a difference!
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Cool

[QUOTE=GMichael]Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..........

You are killing me.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

FYI.....Model numbers update:

Panasonic 50" 720p models:

TH-50PX80 (U If in the USA) = Regular Panasonic Model
    Has Front HDMI INPUT
    Frame: Gloss Black
    Speaker Section: Flat Black

TH-M50HD18 = Panasonic Model made for Wal-Mart
    No Front HDMI INPUT
    Frame: Flat Black
    Speaker Section: Flat Gray

TH-C50HD18 = Panasonic Model made for Costco
    No Front HDMI INPUT
    Frame: Flat Black
    Speaker Section: Flat Black

So the "C" in the TH-C50HD18 stands for Costco not Canada.

Otherwise these sets all have two rear HDMI inputs and are the same TV.

RR6

GTF
    Forum Regular

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    POOR DEPRIVED LITTLE THING.
    Ever occure to you as to why plasmas are selling so cheap?
    And the guy who figured out the "lifespan" of your set, he used to work
    at Ford motor, came up with the 7500 mile oil change.
    A gas envelope is a lot more complicatated than a CRT, and if one of those lasted more than a decade you were lucky, and most conked out after five years.
    AND my Vizio is already hanging on its pole, because it only weights 48 LBS.
    This is like when they were pushing EDTV 480p plasma, because the tech couldnt compete with LCD screens, they were saying that 1080i
    didnt matter...
    AND the piano black is beautiful, btw, NO glare really.
    And that is all of the "digs' I will lay on you, don't want to spoil your
    Christmas and all.
    Enjoy your new toy, hope you surrive operating it!

Just because you made a mistake buying a LCD TV instead of a Plasma TV,
    their is no need for you to take your error out on the folks who bought the coreect TV.
    A Plasma.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by GTF
    Just because you made a mistake buying a LCD TV instead of a Plasma TV,
    their is no need for you to take your error out on the folks who bought the coreect TV.
    A Plasma.
    GHOD you are so funny! First you say that a RPTV is better than LCD, which even the most ardent hater of LCD WOULDNT SAY,
    even if drunk.
    SO plasma is the "correct" TV?
    Tell that to the people I work for, they wont talk about what happened to that Samsung plasma that was in the waiting room, the maintenence
    guy just mumbled something about "catastropic" failure and shambled off.
    Or what about the ones who suffered from burn in? Or a dead set when the gas leaked out?
    What about the increased chance of failure from excess heat,
    or the increased energy usage?
    HOPE you dont have kids, hate to think about that big chunk of glass near a bunch of rugrats, or dogs.
    Truth is, producing a video picture by shooting 30,000 volts through an unstable gas is about the dumbest way to make a TV ever invented.
    Its kinda like building a space shuttle to get to the stop and rob down the street.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Cool

[QUOTE=Rich-n-Texas]Congrats on your Plasma purchase RR6, and condolences on the loss of your drinking priveledges.

I was in a Walmart the other day buying some Mobil 5000 (mile) motor oil and I saw quite a few Vizio's on display next to the $5.00 DVD Bargain Bin (I'm not kidding). I couldn't really get far away enough to get a good view, but needless to say I suppose they fit the bill for the type of clientel Walmart serves.
    like you, maybe?
    You can move to texas, drive a clapped out fireturd, shop at the walmart,
    even wear overhauls, but you will never be a "good ol boy",
    just a carpetbagger from Jersey

I wonder how much longer before he starts criticising and flaming 720p owners?
    And no flaming, maybe a cautionary warning, there is a bigger difference between the two than a lot think.
    I have two (one of each) LCDS. In home enviroments,
    and the diff is quite evident.
    I could never advise anybody to buy a 720p
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Cool

The plasma trash talk from Pixelthis is emotionally and phsychologically tramatic and devastating to me as I'm sure it might be also to many of you. (I might have to go in for counseling)

However I do like to give credit where it is due. I must say that some of his photos really crack me up. The ceiling cat and the Pope are two of my favorites. Being subjected to seventeen years of Catholic education I especially appreciate the Pope photo. (OK, no smart ass better come on here and ask me if I had to do fourth grade twice).

RR6

Its a long process, but we'll get you "readjusted".
    And when you're plasma goes, as the Brits say, "tits up",
    take a word of advice, and GO TOWARD THE LIGHT!
    GO TOWARD THE LIGHT!
    It will be a LCD with another twenty years of life left in it
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information