Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Cool

If that one doesnt get me a "greenie"....
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    QUITE allright, I get quite abrasive sometimes I guess, you're a decent chap and all, just lay off of the "inbreeding" stuff okay?
    Thats a bit over the line.
    The referee is leaving the field, let the rotten tomatoes start flying again!
    Did Richie hit a nerve?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    I think I did. I was just reminded of that family of what I thought were... well... kinda looked a little off when I was in my local grocery store.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    I think I did. I was just reminded of that family of what I thought were... well... kinda looked a little off when I was in my local grocery store.
    We have those types of families up here too. It's not limited to the south. All you have to do is walk into the Wal-Mart up in Monticello NY for proof. Whoa boy! I started hearing the banjo playing in the back of my head. Couldn't get out of there fast enough. Even wifey was asking me why everyone looked so funny in there.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended

Funny stuff GM!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    We have those types of families up here too. It's not limited to the south. All you have to do is walk into the Wal-Mart up in Monticello NY for proof. Whoa boy! I started hearing the banjo playing in the back of my head. Couldn't get out of there fast enough. Even wifey was asking me why everyone looked so funny in there.

He didnt hit a nerve, its just that, while there are spots all over the place
    where that sort of thing happens, its just a cheap shot, and for some reason the south gets a lot of that crap, even tho some parts of the north resemble an X-FILES episode.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Cool

But back on topic, to whoever "pulled the trigger"(cant remember now)
    really, I dooo hope you enjoy your plasma for however long(how long does a fruitfly live?) that it lasts.
    AND THAT YOU COME UP WITH SOME CONSTRUCTIVE
    use for the carcass after it dies.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

He didnt hit a nerve, its just that, while there are spots all over the place
    where that sort of thing happens, its just a cheap shot, and for some reason the south gets a lot of that crap, even tho some parts of the north resemble an X-FILES episode.
    Fair is fair. You never let a chance slip by to call us Yankees. Too bad you haven't figured out that we don't mind it (except for those from Boston).

As far as plasma life goes, I'm betting that his new plasma will last long enough to make it into a second room when he upgrades this room again.

Cool

Fair is fair. You never let a chance slip by to call us Yankees. Too bad you haven't figured out that we don't mind it (except for those from Boston).

As far as plasma life goes, I'm betting that his new plasma will last long enough to make it into a second room when he upgrades this room again.

Why should you mind it?
    Mind it when I call you DAMN yankees.
    Yankees is what you are, mearly a description, not an insult.
    Why you think it should be an insult is curious tho.
    Something wrong with being a "yankee"?
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Why should you mind it?
    Mind it when I call you DAMN Yankees.
    Yankees is what you are, mealy a description, not an insult.
    Why you think it should be an insult is curious though.
    Something wrong with being a "Yankee"?
    Nothing wrong with it at all. In fact, in the UK you would be called a Yankee too. Just don't call anyone from Boston a Yankee.
    But from the context you use it it, it's clear that YOU think it's an insult.

Suspended
    That's right pix. It's all in the way you use it. My understanding is that a "Damn Yankee" is someone who moves to the south and stays. Not a big deal to me. I'm staying here for a lot of reasons. And I must say there's a lot about living in the south that just makes me shake my head in amazement when I see the things I see. Frankly, I think "that Southern Hospitality" is an urban legend. People on the highways down here seem to take driving personally instead of just practicing the defensive driving theory, for instance. And even though there are idiots everywhere it seems to be the norm rather than the exception in Texas. Some very rude people here.

Suspended
    ...Yankees is what you are, mearly a description, not an insult.
    Redneck is what you are, merely a description, not an insult.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I'll never forget my first week at school in Atlanta...I ate at some horrible dinner on the highway that was a glorified truck stop. The lady waitress came to me with rotten teeth and a cigarette hanging on her lip and took my order, then asked in the longest southern drawl I've heard
    "Where y'all frum, y'all have the fuhhhhniest ax-ssssents..."
    Being from North Dakota, I was used to rednecks, but I'll never forget Dixie...

nightflier
    Getting back to Plasmas:

Wooch, I'm curious, why did you buy the bottom-of-the-line model from Costco? I figured you for someone who would want the added features and better picture of Panasonic's higher-level monitors.

As it stands, I'm still looking to replace my (now sold) CRT TV. Plasma is definitely getting to be more attractive, but this brightness thing does bother me. After 6 years, it looses 10% (probably negligible), but after 12 years it's down 20% and after 18 years it's 30%, that nearly 1/3 less bright. Considering that Plasma are already less bright than LCDs, that does give me pause. Does a less bright Plasma require me to turn up the power-consumption? If energy prices continue to go up, that's not a good thing.

What I actually most like about Plasma is actually the smooth motion. Even the best LCDs look more choppy, jittery and pixelated during action scenes and scenes requiring smooth, extended flows of motion (like a flag waving). The only LCD that did OK in that department is the Olevia 747i, but i'd have to give up a lot of shadow detail and blackness. Besides, the 747 is getting a bit long in the tooth (and also hard to find apparently). Of course, at $1K, that's a price that's hard to beat. What it does not have is 24fps, which I've noticed can help a lot on the right TV (some actually look worse).

For my TV room, we'll be sitting 9-10' from the screen (if I don't want the couch against the back wall), so a minimum of 46" is necessary and detail is noticeable at that distance. People may say that contrast ratio, 24fps, and noise are no big deal, but I doubt they're sitting that close when they downplay them. Anyhow, if anyone has some thoughts, please chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    Getting back to Plasmas:

Wooch, I'm curious, why did you buy the bottom-of-the-line model from Costco? I figured you for someone who would want the added features and better picture of Panasonic's higher-level monitors.
    Add a baby, subtract half my wife's income, throw in an uncertain economy, and that equates to a reduced TV budget. With the Pannys, the picture quality of their plasmas is uniformly good across their entire lineup. You're not giving up a lot in the way of picture quality between the top of the line and entry level 1080p models. The top of the line models give you the single pane panel design and additional picture adjustments. I already know from reviews that the Cinema mode is already close to the reference levels and only requires minor adjustments to optimize the picture quality.

I decided on the 1080p Panasonic plasmas quite a while ago, and the choice was between one of the higher line 42" models or an entry level 50". When we rearranged the room and pushed the sofa back a few feet, we opted for the larger screen size. Once the price point went down to $1,400 at Costco, we opted to order one from them because of their 90-day return guarantee and standard doubling of the factory warranty (on a Panasonic that means you get a 2-year warranty, on an LG the warranty gets lengthened to 4 years).

As it stands, I'm still looking to replace my (now sold) CRT TV. Plasma is definitely getting to be more attractive, but this brightness thing does bother me. After 6 years, it looses 10% (probably negligible), but after 12 years it's down 20% and after 18 years it's 30%, that nearly 1/3 less bright. Considering that Plasma are already less bright than LCDs, that does give me pause. Does a less bright Plasma require me to turn up the power-consumption? If energy prices continue to go up, that's not a good thing.
    How long do you actually intend to keep this TV? You just sold a CRT TV that's only a few years old. We just got rid of an 11-year old TV, and my other TV broke down after 10 years. That brightness curve is just an extrapolation, I would doubt that the rate of brightness decline is a straight line.

I've said before that in a bright room, you should at least give LCD a look, since the white output is where its performance is strongest. My TV room is not a dark room by any stretch, and the recommended settings on the Panny are not too dark at all. But, you have to remember that I'm used to looking at a calibrated TV, so I know what the reference level is supposed to look like.

The typical default LCD TV setting is way above the calibrated reference level, and to my eyes that bright a picture in a typical living room gets fatiguing in a hurry. If someone's used to the torch setting, then plasma will look dark by comparison. Evaluating a LCD TV requires adjusting the picture settings so that it's closer to the reference levels so you can evaluate the overall picture quality, which includes a lot more than just the brightness.

Like I said before, plasmas will use a lot less energy after you calibrate the TV to reference settings. Panasonic's new plasma lineup will be announced at CES in January, and they supposedly will be a lot thinner and use less energy than this year's models.

What I actually most like about Plasma is actually the smooth motion. Even the best LCDs look more choppy, jittery and pixelated during action scenes and scenes requiring smooth, extended flows of motion (like a flag waving). The only LCD that did OK in that department is the Olevia 747i, but i'd have to give up a lot of shadow detail and blackness. Besides, the 747 is getting a bit long in the tooth (and also hard to find apparently). Of course, at $1K, that's a price that's hard to beat. What it does not have is 24fps, which I've noticed can help a lot on the right TV (some actually look worse).
    The plasma image to my eyes is more natural looking, and better approximates what good film projection looks like. Interesting observation on the Olevias -- were those 120 Hz models? The120 Hz models typically do better with motion.

For my TV room, we'll be sitting 9-10' from the screen (if I don't want the couch against the back wall), so a minimum of 46" is necessary and detail is noticeable at that distance. People may say that contrast ratio, 24fps, and noise are no big deal, but I doubt they're sitting that close when they downplay them. Anyhow, if anyone has some thoughts, please chime in.
    My TV distance with a 50" TV is less than 9' and that's a lot longer than the 6.5' minimum distance that Panasonic recommends for a 50" 1080p set. A lot of the recommended viewing distances were originally developed for lower resolution TVs. At 1080p, you don't notice the pixels until you get very close to the TV.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Cool

One reason the "brightness" of a plasma isnt as great.
    They fade on and off!
    Put a video camera on one and watch it.
    When watching a ntsc monitor on a LCD screen the picture rolled,
    because the scan rates didnt match.
    Watching an LCD screen on camera, on an LCD screen, the pix looks
    fine.
    But watch the plasma on an LCD screen, it starts out bright, then slowly fades to almost completely off!
    And then slowly comes back on!
    This would reduce the average brightness a great deal.
    Strangest thing I have ever seen, probably some anti-burn in scheme.
    These were Panasonic plasmas, BTW.
    This "throbing" wasnt visible to the naked eye, but it would decrease average brightness by a large margin.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Getting back to Plasmas:

How may 18 year old TV's do you have in service now?

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer

My TV distance with a 50" TV is less than 9' and that's a lot longer than the 6.5' minimum distance that Panasonic recommends for a 50" 1080p set. A lot of the recommended viewing distances were originally developed for lower resolution TVs. At 1080p, you don't notice the pixels until you get very close to the TV.
    You can run into what I call the tennis match syndrome. That's where it become hard to take in the whole picture without turning your head, or at least moving your eyes. Kind of like sitting in the front row at the movie house. Nothing wrong with it if that's what you like. Saw The Empire Strikes Back that way. Felt like I was in the movie.

You can run into what I call the tennis match syndrome. That's where it become hard to take in the whole picture without turning your head, or at least moving your eyes. Kind of like sitting in the front row at the movie house. Nothing wrong with it if that's what you like. Saw The Empire Strikes Back that way. Felt like I was in the movie.
    Front row at a movie house?! Remember that the screens at the larger theaters are upwards of 60' to 80' wide, which is about twice as wide as a tennis court!

The rationale behind the 2.35:1 widescreen ratio was to envelop a theatergoer's peripheral vision, so that like you said, the audience would feel like they were in the movie.

A 46" or 50" 1080p TV with a viewing distance of 9' to 10' doesn't come close. I was watching the Wall-E Blu-ray last night and I actually extended the TV further from the wall and pulled the sofa closer up because so much of the detail got obscured at the longer distance. I actually think that Panasonic's 6.5' viewing distance recommendation on a 50" 1080p TV is spot on. That gives you a large picture, but you're still far enough away that the individual pixels aren't visible.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Front row at a movie house?! Remember that the screens at the larger theaters are upwards of 60' to 80' wide, which is about twice as wide as a tennis court!

The rationale behind the 2.35:1 widescreen ratio was to envelop a theatergoer's peripheral vision, so that like you said, the audience would feel like they were in the movie.

A 46" or 50" 1080p TV with a viewing distance of 9' to 10' doesn't come close. I was watching the Wall-E Blu-ray last night and I actually extended the TV further from the wall and pulled the sofa closer up because so much of the detail got obscured at the longer distance. I actually think that Panasonic's 6.5' viewing distance recommendation on a 50" 1080p TV is spot on. That gives you a large picture, but you're still far enough away that the individual pixels aren't visible.
    WHOA! That is way bigger than anything I've seen around here. Was that a drive-in?

Sounds like you've found the perfect ratio for you. I am about 19' away from a 106" screen in the living room and 12' away from a 92" in the bedroom. But both of those are 720p. The bedroom screen views a little larger than the living room does.
    I think Kex is in the 10' range from a 100+ screen. Must look huge.

WHOA! That is way bigger than anything I've seen around here. Was that a drive-in?
    Nope, just the screen sizes on some of the single-screen theaters I used to frequent when I lived in L.A. The famous Chinese Theater has a 60' wide screen, as does the two-deck Village Theater in Westwood. The Cinerama Dome is an 80' wide screen (I think the actual edge-to-edge width is around 70' because of the deep curve on the Cinerama screen). The largest screen at one of the newer stadium multiplexes is usually around 40' wide (in a stadium seating configuration, you can get away with a smaller screen size because more of the audience sits closer to the screen, although IMO the surround effect sounds worse in a stadium-style theater).

Sounds like you've found the perfect ratio for you. I am about 19' away from a 106" screen in the living room and 12' away from a 92" in the bedroom. But both of those are 720p. The bedroom screen views a little larger than the living room does.
    I think Kex is in the 10' range from a 100+ screen. Must look huge.
    19' away?! No wonder why you brought the tennis match effect, you can almost put a tennis court between your sofa and the screen!
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

nightflier

What about Mitsubishi?

How may 18 year old TV's do you have in service now?
    I have a TV in a wooden cabinet in the garage. I have no idea how old it is, but it still works and lets me catch the game when I'm working there. Believe it or not, it was just sitting by the side of the road back when I was in college, so we put it in the truck, and it actually worked, so it's been with me ever since. I can't tell you that it looks new or even in-home-acceptable anymore, but it still works. My wife refers to things I've kept from that long ago as belonging to my "caveman days" and the garage is my "man-cave," (although that's also what she calls any room that has too much A/V gear in it). In the kitchen we have a 19" CRT that's also getting long in the tooth. Don't know how old it is, but it's got to be at least 15 years old.

I guess you could say we hold onto things longer than the average family. The HT room CRT we sold because it was just too big - it was 25" deep and 44" wide. Just getting it down the stairs required three people, lots of straps, and a near-death experience. I've got all my other gear in the same room too, so it's all a bit snug in there right now. Someday... when we buy a new home... (when the finances change), maybe I'll get my 2-channel room back.

In any case, the next TV I buy I will likely want to keep for as long as it stays operable. By the way, I was just told that Olevia filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy protection and that they fired all their sales reps last week. So I guess my choices are being made for me. It's going to be Samsung if it's LCD or Panasonic if Plasma. I really like the Panasonic BluRay player, so maybe I'll let that sway my decision - the Samsung BluRay player isn't quite as attractive to me.

...Now let's just hope these guys stay in business and and Plasma sticks around for a little while longer.

Anyone seen the new Mitsubishi laser TVs yet? They are supposed to weigh less, use half the energy that LCDs use, and have none of the picture issues that LCD or Plasma have. The only caveat is that you can only buy a 65" sized TV and it costs a whopping $6-7K. It's pricey, of course, but that was how Plasma and later LCD started out too, so I'm hoping that it will come down in price soon enough. So is it everything it's claiming to be? Has anyone seen it yet?

Cool

I have a TV in a wooden cabinet in the garage. I have no idea how old it is, but it still works and lets me catch the game when I'm working there. Believe it or not, it was just sitting by the side of the road back when I was in college, so we put it in the truck, and it actually worked, so it's been with me ever since. I can't tell you that it looks new or even in-home-acceptable anymore, but it still works. My wife refers to things I've kept from that long ago as belonging to my "caveman days" and the garage is my "man-cave," (although that's also what she calls any room that has too much A/V gear in it). In the kitchen we have a 19" CRT that's also getting long in the tooth. Don't know how old it is, but it's got to be at least 15 years old.

I guess you could say we hold onto things longer than the average family. The HT room CRT we sold because it was just too big - it was 25" deep and 44" wide. Just getting it down the stairs required three people, lots of straps, and a near-death experience. I've got all my other gear in the same room too, so it's all a bit snug in there right now. Someday... when we buy a new home... (when the finances change), maybe I'll get my 2-channel room back.

In any case, the next TV I buy I will likely want to keep for as long as it stays operable. By the way, I was just told that Olevia filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy protection and that they fired all their sales reps last week. So I guess my choices are being made for me. It's going to be Samsung if it's LCD or Panasonic if Plasma. I really like the Panasonic BluRay player, so maybe I'll let that sway my decision - the Samsung BluRay player isn't quite as attractive to me.

...Now let's just hope these guys stay in business and and Plasma sticks around for a little while longer.

Anyone seen the new Mitsubishi laser TVs yet? They are supposed to weigh less, use half the energy that LCDs use, and have none of the picture issues that LCD or Plasma have. The only caveat is that you can only buy a 65" sized TV and it costs a whopping $6-7K. It's pricey, of course, but that was how Plasma and later LCD started out too, so I'm hoping that it will come down in price soon enough. So is it everything it's claiming to be? Has anyone seen it yet?
    everything will be coming down in price soon.
    THE BANKRUPTCY of olevia is big, they were pretty popular.
    THIS SITE HAS BEEN A REFUGE from what is going on "out there",
    but you cant ignore it, they are talking depression on even mainstream
    channels.
    If they havent tooled up for the laser TV yet you might not see it...
    EVER.
    Especially since mitshu also sells cars, and nobody is buying those,
    even imports.
    I SAW A PIC OF THOUSANDS PARKED in a port in California,
    they are running out of places to put them.
    Things are getting rough.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/11/...ss/19ports.php
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Suspended
    I saw a laser DLP in a Crutchfield catalog, I didn't pay much attention to it at the time because I was just browsing. You may be able to see what it's about if you visit their website.

NF, you might want to take a hard look at the Samsung BD-P2500, they are around at $299.00 and loaded with features including on board HD audio decoding, Netflix compatible, BD Live and have the HQV Silicon Optix video chip.

Things are interesting, every day I keep watching the markets fall wondering if this will be the day that will be the bottom and maybe things start picking up. It don't look like that will happen for a while. On the other hand for some reason it looked like most of the city decided to shop at the grocery store today. I guess it was the sale or coupon day, hell I thought it might have been "free grocery day" the way the check out was lined up. A guy I know that works at one store said it was a 40 minute wait in line. That's crazy, I'm wondering if I missed some warning or something.

BTW, gas here was $1.56 a gallon at 7-11. Apparently, now, it's this deflation in prices that's our enemy. We can't win......

The bankruptcy apparently happened back in July. Olevia was the U.S. nameplate for Syntax-Brillian, one of the smaller LCD OEM suppliers. Unlike other lower priced off-brand TVs, all of Olevia's TVs were made by Syntax-Brillian. The problem for an off-brand player like Olevia depending on a single vendor is that the OEM market for LCDs has been in a massive shakeup for the past couple of years with several smaller manufacturers going under and market share consolidating with the larger players.

The CNET article I read indicates that the company was going to reorganize under the Olevia brand name. This likely means that they will function more as a virtual company like their other off-brand competitors, in which nearly all of the R&D and manufacturing are outsourced.

Samsung's the largest LCD OEM and retail supplier in the world (and the #2 plasma manufacturer), they're not going anywhere. Panasonic's the largest plasma supplier in the world, and they're not going anywhere either. The plasma market has grown by more than 30% this year with thinner and more efficient designs coming out next year, so it's not going away in the near future either.

Cut past the hype. That Mitsubishi laser TV is basically a DLP RPTV with a new backlight design. Using a laser is supposed to bump up the contrast ratio and light output, and bring out truer colors. Mitsubishi led the big screen market for decades when it was dominated by FPTVs and then RPTVs, but as the market evolved towards flat panels, they've fallen behind. Mitsubishi is trying to protect its stake in RPTV as much as they can, given that they have independent R&D and manufacturing capacity in RPTVs, but depend more on outsource partners for flat panels.

But, if you can get past the usual drawbacks shared with other RPTV designs (i.e., limited viewing angle, bulky cabinet size), then a laser-lit DLP at least has some promise in that it shares plasmas' high contrast ratio and motion resolution, and LCD's high light output, and uses less power than both of them in that large screen size. Problem is that at $7,000, you have other direct view flat panel options in that same size, and the primary market rationale for RPTVs has been larger screen size for less money than direct view flat panels.
    Last edited by Woochifer; 11-21-2008 at 12:28 PM.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information