Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner6
    Thanks Mr. Peabody, you have lifted my spirits (). I'm a Poly-Sci major and get overloaded at election time with all the political talk.

Seriously, my new plasma it is going on a stand. I have it set up now and going thru a break-in routine. In a few weeks I'll hopefully have time to hook up a blue ray, test it and give my feedback. The frame is very attractive and so far I'm pleased with the picture.

RR6
    Don't forget the pics Mr. 6! We need pics. We like pics!

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    Oh, a voyeur!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by RoadRunner6; 10-08-2008 at 02:08 PM.

Suspended
    I don't know what a yoyeur is.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    +1
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

OK, it's corrected. So I have a little Arthur Itis in my fingers. Give the old fart a break. My wife thinks it's sad. She says my fingers are the only stiff parts on my body!

RR6

PostScript,

Houston, we have a problem. I just looked at the keyboard on my laptop. The "v" key and the "y" key are two rows apart and separated by the f, g and h keys. Is this consistant with a diagnosis of early onset mental decline rather than the earlier diagnosis of Arthur Itis disease?
    Last edited by RoadRunner6; 10-08-2008 at 04:49 PM.

nightflier

That's about right for most qwerty keyboards, but...

PostScript,

Houston, we have a problem. I just looked at the keyboard on my laptop. The "v" key and the "y" key are two rows apart and separated by the f, g and h keys. Is this consistant with a diagnosis of early onset mental decline rather than the earlier diagnosis of Arthur Itis disease?
    ...we can only hope you're using a single HDMI cable between components.

Cool

that is a YOYO master of course.
    Have to explain everything to ya!
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Suspended
    Lieutenant Ohura... Ahuro... can't remember her name...

Nevertheless, she had all them aliens under control with her translation skills. Romulians, Klingons, fuzzy talkin' balls n' all that kinda sh!t. Remember? And a healthy rack to boot.

Cool

Lieutenant Ohura... Ahuro... can't remember her name...

Nevertheless, she had all them aliens under control with her translation skills. Romulians, Klingons, fuzzy talkin' balls n' all that kinda sh!t. Remember? And a healthy rack to boot.

COMMUNICATIONS skills. She had skills?
    I think it was the great rack that had everybody under control:!:
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

nightflier
    Nothing like a black woman who could even put Shatner in his place, to get white boys to shout: baby got back!

So Pix, still no luck on that Vincent Audio babe?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    Nothing like a black woman who could even put Shatner in his place, to get white boys to shout: baby got back!

So Pix, still no luck on that Vincent Audio babe?
    NOPE.
    Sorry.
    Heres yet another consolation prize
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

News clip from Sound and Vision Magazine

October 10, 2008
    Boomtime for Plasma
    Even with the global economy on increasingly shaky ground, a new study out of China shows that — not only are plasma sales booming as LCD sales fall — plasma sales are actually hitting historical highs.

While you can debate on which is better/cheaper/blacker/thinner/sexier/brighter, it seems plasma sales are going strong, according to a report from DisplaySearch, a market research firm.

Is it technology-driven, or an effect of the economy?

Part of it's simple supply and demand. Samsung and LG both shipped more plasma units recently. As a result, the prices for similar sized screens favor plasma over LCD, by about 25%. In this economy, who doesn't want to save 25%?

In most viewing rooms, plasma works fine, and with better prices, why wouldn't sales be booming? —Leslie Shapiro

RR6

nightflier
    RR, if only that were true for all brands, but Pioneer is still way higher. But yes, Panasonic and LG do seem to have come down a bit. Of course, so have comparably-sized LCDs, which apparently are over-stocked as well. The tigers my not like us very much, but when we stop consuming, guess who cries wolf?

Cool

News clip from Sound and Vision Magazine

October 10, 2008
    Boomtime for Plasma
    Even with the global economy on increasingly shaky ground, a new study out of China shows that — not only are plasma sales booming as LCD sales fall — plasma sales are actually hitting historical highs.

While you can debate on which is better/cheaper/blacker/thinner/sexier/brighter, it seems plasma sales are going strong, according to a report from DisplaySearch, a market research firm.

Is it technology-driven, or an effect of the economy?

Part of it's simple supply and demand. Samsung and LG both shipped more plasma units recently. As a result, the prices for similar sized screens favor plasma over LCD, by about 25%. In this economy, who doesn't want to save 25%?

In most viewing rooms, plasma works fine, and with better prices, why wouldn't sales be booming? —Leslie Shapiro

RR6

A lot of it is marketing.
    Plasma 720p undercuts LCD and a lot arent interested in 1080p.
    My brother wasnt, bought a 720p samsung 42".
    But 1080p does make a diff, quite a diff, really.
    Actually I like the idea that there are a lot of plasma buyers out there,
    when you get tired of the news crawl from fox overlaying your movies,
    when the gas escapes, when the high voltage rectifier burns out,
    you're gonna be in the market for a real monitor, I'll be ready to sell to a former plasma owner tapped out from his last purchase.
    certified check only please
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    when the gas escapes
    RR6

Cool

RR, if only that were true for all brands, but Pioneer is still way higher. But yes, Panasonic and LG do seem to have come down a bit. Of course, so have comparably-sized LCDs, which apparently are over-stocked as well. The tigers my not like us very much, but when we stop consuming, guess who cries wolf?

OR FOX
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Wow...after reading all the vitriol in the four pages of this thread I need a brain relaxant!

First things first...Congratulations RR6! I'm sure you'll enjoy your new tv...Plasma has a great picture quality that is unmatched by anything. I'm looking at a short list of three plasmas: Panasonic 50PZ800U, Samsung PN-50A550, Samsung PN-50A650. Just can't quite decide between them.

We are 500 trillion in debt, how will we pay that with no serious manufacturing base?
    Well, Pixelthis, I now see that you take liberties with all data, not just those of plasma and LCD tv specs.
    Klipsch RB-35 fronts
    Klipsch RB-5 rears
    Klipsch RC-62 center
    Klipsch LF-10 sub
    Onkyo TX-SR606 AVR
    Panasonic TH-50PZ800U TV
    Panasonic DMP-BD35P BD Player

Suspended
    When looking for a great plasma Pioneer should be on that list. The Elite will cost more but the picture quality improvement will be obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Wits
    Wow...after reading all the vitriol in the four pages of this thread I need a brain relaxant!

First things first...Congratulations RR6! [SIZE=4][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3] [FONT=Tahoma]I'm sure you'll enjoy your new tv...Plasma has a great picture quality that is unmatched by anything. I'm looking at a short list of three plasmas: Panasonic 50PZ800U, Samsung PN-50A550, Samsung PN-50A650. Just can't quite decide between them.
    The new Samsungs have improved in a lot of areas. My understanding is that the Pannys have superior brightness levels compared to the Samsung plasmas, while some people prefer the Samsungs' color balances. Last year, the Panny picture quality was clear step up, but this year it's supposedly more of a toss up.

As Peabody mentioned, the Pioneer plasmas probably have the best picture quality among all HDTVs, and the Elite models come with the most comprehensive picture controls available to the end user -- useful if you do your own calibration using a calibration disc or external device.. But, they are also the most expensive sets on the market.

Only by moving up to the TH-50PZ850U (which is another $500 higher) do you get a similarly comprehensive set of controls on the Pannys.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Wits

First things first...Congratulations RR6! I'm sure you'll enjoy your new tv...Plasma has a great picture quality that is unmatched by anything. I'm looking at a short list of three plasmas: Panasonic 50PZ800U, Samsung PN-50A550, Samsung PN-50A650. Just can't quite decide between them.

Well, Pixelthis, I now see that you take liberties with all data, not just those of plasma and LCD tv specs.
    Yeah you're right, I am UNDERESTIMATING things a bit.
    Truth is , with unfunded libilities we are a lot deeper in debt than 500 trillion.
    And THATS just the govt!
    Never mind the 1.4 QUADRILLION in dirivatives, or the one trillion in credit card dept.
    Not to mention that what left of our auto industry is about to pack it in.
    Sorry for lowballing things so badly
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

nightflier
    The cost per sq. inch for a Plasma is now a bit less than LCD, from what I can find online. Another factor I wasn't aware of is that for the larger screens at least, the watts used both in operation and at idle (when power is off and it's on standby) is actually very low, often lower than many LCDs. This certainly raises Plasma on my Green-O-Meter.

Cool

The cost per sq. inch for a Plasma is now a bit less than LCD, from what I can find online. Another factor I wasn't aware of is that for the larger screens at least, the watts used both in operation and at idle (when power is off and it's on standby) is actually very low, often lower than many LCDs. This certainly raises Plasma on my Green-O-Meter.

THIS is great if you want to use your TV for a paperweight, or some kinda sculpture.
    IF YOU ACTUALLY WANT TO WATCH IT, it will consume twice
    what an LCD does, it takes power to create a plasma in a glass tube,
    about 30,000 volts, actually.
    The one thing I do like about plasma is that it sticks it to the "green nazis", anything that pisses off those idiots is okay in my book.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Suspended
    You should be thankful for "green nazi's" and all who become concerned enough over an issue to speak out. There needs to be balance in all things and with out some one standing up and shouting "hey!" to bring the rest of our attention to an issue that is being over looked the greedy (______, insert foul adjective of choice) in power and control would run this country and us into the ground. In this day and age with all the communication we have available, probably too much, it is easy for something to go unnoticed until it is too late. With that being said it is also common for over reaction or take things to such an extreme that a good thing soon becomes negative in people's perception. As an example, I'm all for ethical treatment of animals and people but what does that have to do with breast milk in my ice cream.

I personally feel when the majority of consumers go to look for a TV that power consumption is probably way down the list of priorities to look for if at all. It could some day if electricity was extremely expensive, or perceived that way, the way gasoline is today. The jump in gas prices over the summer was a rude awakening to those who still cling to SUV's and 8 bangers. Some come down on the U.S. auto makers for not mirroring the foreign imports, and they probably should have at least kept up with the technology, but they sold the product the public was buying. If SUV's and muscle cars were sitting on the lots with no where to go, do you think Detroit would have been still pumping them out? Detroit can't change until the consumer changes. There has to be a demand for a product or at least a strong indication that the public would welcome it before making it available. After all the idea is to make money and sales.

nightflier
    Actually, Pix, I did a little research on that, and some of the newer Panasonic Plasmas have lower energy usage than comparable LCD. Sony seems to make the most energy efficient LCDs, but Toshiba, Pioneer and lesser known brands like Westinghouse and Olevia are real energy hogs. Some of the Panasonic plasmas use only about 280 watts while in use (compared to some LCDs that require up to 600 watts) and can use as little as .05 watts when off (compared to 2 watts for some Toshibas). I know that last figure is only a fraction of the on-energy-use, but if you consider how much more often the TV will be off in most homes, it all does add up.

Granted, the average Plasma does use more, but there are a few models that use less and for those who care about this (here in SoCal we care about it perhaps a bit more than elsewhere), that's significant. If you also consider the many advantages in picture quality that a Plasma offers, it becomes a tough sell to pay as much as 20% more for the same size LCD if the latter also uses more energy and gives off more heat. I know I'm in the minority when it comes to being green about this, but when it's coupled with a better experience, then why not get the better overall package?

For the record, the most energy efficient LCDs are Sonys, and the most energy efficient Plasmas are Panasonics. Many Sony & Panasonic models are more energy efficient by a wide margin from other barnds, and the Panasonic Plasmas typically have lower usage than LCDs from manufacturers other than Sony.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    When looking for a great plasma Pioneer should be on that list. The Elite will cost more but the picture quality improvement will be obvious.
    That's why Pioneer isn't on my final list. With everything else I have to buy I absolutely must stay below $2k on the television.
    Klipsch RB-35 fronts
    Klipsch RB-5 rears
    Klipsch RC-62 center
    Klipsch LF-10 sub
    Onkyo TX-SR606 AVR
    Panasonic TH-50PZ800U TV
    Panasonic DMP-BD35P BD Player

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread Information