PS3 slim supposed to do bitstream. Worth it?

I currently have the regular PS3 as my Bluray player and it send the audio via HDMI in LPCM format to my Onkyo 606 receiver. That receiver will decode the new formats itself. What sort of benefit would/could I gain by getting the new PS3 slim and sending the bitstream to the receiver? Basically is there an advantage to having the receiver do the processing instead of the PS3?

Thanks
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Onkyo TX-SR606
    PS3 Bluray
    Denon DVD-1920
    Panasonic TH-50PZ80U Plasma
    HR21 HD DVR
    Paradigm Esprit (front), Focus (rear), CC270 (center)

2 - 15" Dayton HF subwoofers
    Two Soundstream M1 monoblock amps for the subwoofer

Quote Originally Posted by JeffKnob
    I currently have the regular PS3 as my Bluray player and it send the audio via HDMI in LPCM format to my Onkyo 606 receiver. That receiver will decode the new formats itself. What sort of benefit would/could I gain by getting the new PS3 slim and sending the bitstream to the receiver? Basically is there an advantage to having the receiver do the processing instead of the PS3?

Thanks
    Yeah, you get the pleasure of seeing the words DTSMA/TrueHD flash across your Onkyo screen

I wouldn't waste my money unless you had already planned on picking up a 2nd PS3.

Forum Regular
    L.J. is exactly right...the bitstream feature won't give you anything the normal PS3 doesn't already give you...just you'll get to see the exact name of the decoding feature on your receiver. That's it.

I had a feeling that was going to be the case. Thanks for confirming it.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Onkyo TX-SR606
    PS3 Bluray
    Denon DVD-1920
    Panasonic TH-50PZ80U Plasma
    HR21 HD DVR
    Paradigm Esprit (front), Focus (rear), CC270 (center)

2 - 15" Dayton HF subwoofers
    Two Soundstream M1 monoblock amps for the subwoofer

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    Yeah, you get the pleasure of seeing the words DTSMA/TrueHD flash across your Onkyo screen

I wouldn't waste my money unless you had already planned on picking up a 2nd PS3.
    Bingo!

I have done literally dozens of comparisons both in my hometheater and at work, and I still cannot hear a difference between bitstreaming and player decoding as a transcoded PCM signal through HDMI. Now if you use the players 7.1 or 5.1 analog outputs, the ballgame changes.

The PS3 decoding is extremely accurate, and probably the best you can get until the high end community starts supporting the format. Unlike most players that use a decoding chip, the PS3 has a software solution designed by both Dolby and Dts for their codecs.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Bingo!

I have done literally dozens of comparisons both in my hometheater and at work, and I still cannot hear a difference between bitstreaming and player decoding as a transcoded PCM signal through HDMI. Now if you use the players 7.1 or 5.1 analog outputs, the ballgame changes.

The PS3 decoding is extremely accurate, and probably the best you can get until the high end community starts supporting the format. Unlike most players that use a decoding chip, the PS3 has a software solution designed by both Dolby and Dts for their codecs.
    The new PS3 has 7.1 analog outputs? That would be great for my HDMI-less AVR.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    The new PS3 has 7.1 analog outputs? That would be great for my HDMI-less AVR.
    No...he was referring to players that decode and output via analog vs pcm over HDMI(PS3).

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    No...he was referring to players that decode and output via analog vs pcm over HDMI(PS3).
    Missed by THAT much.

Thanks
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Thread Information