Playstation 3 60GB
    Explorer 8300HD PVR 320GB
    Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ 8TB
    Harmony One

2-Channel:
    Paradigm Studio 20 v.5
    NAD C320BEE
    NAD C521BEE

Another upgrade? That's a lot of support!
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    So is it up to rev 100.100.10.10 now?

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Another upgrade? That's a lot of support!
    or they could have just but out something that worked properly in the first place...

seems like they're coming monthly these days
    Home Theatre:
    50" Panasonic TH-50PZ77
    Denon AVR-3808CI
    B&W 603 S3
    B&W LCR600 S3
    Paradigm Cinema ADP v.3
    SVS PB12-NSD
    Xbox 360 250GB
    Playstation 3 60GB
    Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ 8TB
    Harmony One

2-Channel:
    Paradigm Studio 20 v.5
    NAD C320BEE
    NAD C521BEE

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by f0rge
    or they could have just but out something that worked properly in the first place...

Gee, this one makes my purchase decision a whole bunch easier.

And now a word from L.J.

That's what I'm talking 'bout!!!!!!

Rich, you know you want one

BTW, I see the constant updates as excellent support. New features are added on a regular basis. latest update added ability to browse the net while streaming backgroung music, move folders from your PC HD to your PS3, create playlists for music, video, photo playback........you get my point. And if you haven't noticed....most BR owners on this forum use a PS3. Come on to the dark side baby

Nothing wrong with getting free upgrades to the latest and greatest available. When something new comes out, at least I know I'll be included. And it won't cost me a dime. All I have to do is turn the thing on and it asks me if I want to upgrade. A simple click of a button and I have what BR player owners will have to pay for.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    You MUST work in sales L.J. No doubt in my mind. If not, you're in the wrong business!

I do have a deep seated resentment for everything Sony but at this point, about the only reason I WON'T be buying one is if I'm no longer able to connect to this site from home OR from work.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by f0rge

I've felt this way about other products and would be more disposed to think this way in this case if Sony wasn't trying to serve two masters. I'd say Sony has done a pretty good job at meeting the needs of both gamers and systems guys, and have done so with a sense of urgency.

If I had to wait to be sent a disc in the mail or actually go somewhere and purchase upgrades I might be upset but, c'mon, I can handle walking the cable from the wall to the unit. Good stuff in my book.
    Last edited by bobsticks; 04-10-2008 at 08:04 AM.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    I've felt this way about other products and would be more disposed to think this way in this case if Sony wasn't trying to serve two masters. I'd say Sony has done a pretty good job at meeting the needs of both gamers and systems guys, and have done so with a sense of urgency.

If I had to wait to be sent a disc in the mail or actually go somewhere and purchase upgrades I might be upset but, c'mon, I can handle walking the cable from the wall to the unit. Good stuff in my book.
    i know i'm just ragging on sony, and i'm looking at it from a video game console standpoint, which falls behind my xbox in several areas.
    Home Theatre:
    50" Panasonic TH-50PZ77
    Denon AVR-3808CI
    B&W 603 S3
    B&W LCR600 S3
    Paradigm Cinema ADP v.3
    SVS PB12-NSD
    Xbox 360 250GB
    Playstation 3 60GB
    Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ 8TB
    Harmony One

2-Channel:
    Paradigm Studio 20 v.5
    NAD C320BEE
    NAD C521BEE

Yah, c'mon Rich. Wade on in the water is warm. I bought a PS3 for Blu-Ray and some gaming. I like the way it exceeded all of my expectations right from the get go and keeps on impressing. Not many things do that.

My son has a 1 yr old 360 that is dead. He's got to send it in for repair. He loved XBOX Live until he couldn't get them to turn the membership fee off (online gaming is free with the PS3 so far). Now he says he is getting a PS3. Why? To play BD movies.

I guess I'm a Sonyhead on this one. There is something very cool about them wagering their entire success on the success of the PS3 and winning the bet. For a minute there it looked like we could have possibly lost a true icon.

Dang, I gotta go back and watch all my BR with DTSMA tracks now

Good thing I waited for ID4....it's still in plastic....guess it'll be i'Robot....maybe X-Men 3.... or maybe....

**LJ continues to walk down the hallway talking to himself**

Suspended
    On the other hand, why could I not just by wonna these... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827106225 for $140 bucks, buy a DVI to HDMI cable, drag my PC out into the media room and connect it to my receiver? My graphics card is HDCP compliant, can display 1680 x 1050 pixels, and my sound card has SPDIF output. And I'd also have a nice widescreen monitor to put on the coffee table for use with the Receiver Manager s/w. Seems like a much cheaper alternative, and I'd be utilizing equipment I already own.

Hmmm???

Well, one reason not to do that would be the inability of SPDIF to transmit all the latest audio codecs. You'd be stuck with regular, ol' DTS and DD.

Another reason would be the introduction of fan noise from your computer into the equation...

...yet another might be the potential for handshake problems between the DVI and HDMI, especially as HDMI continues to evolve.

Of course, the most compelling reason is because new toys are fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    On the other hand, why could I not just by wonna these... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827106225 for $140 bucks, buy a DVI to HDMI cable, drag my PC out into the media room and connect it to my receiver? My graphics card is HDCP compliant, can display 1680 x 1050 pixels, and my sound card has SPDIF output. And I'd also have a nice widescreen monitor to put on the coffee table for use with the Receiver Manager s/w. Seems like a much cheaper alternative, and I'd be utilizing equipment I already own.

Hmmm???
    Huh?

Suspended
    Shot down in flames.

Suspended
    Wouldn't an external sound card resolve those issues? I don't know what they feature these days but if they decoded True-HD & DTSMA, and were cheap enough they'd be a practical alternative to the $400 PS3 price tag.

Quo usque tandem abutere patentia nostra?

I suspect you'll find the availability of "an external soundcard that decoded Tru-HD & DTSMA" rather limited, at least from a stand-alone retail perspective.

You could always buy a PS3, remove the soundcard and put it next to your PC if that would make you feel better.

Suspended
    ...You could always buy a PS3, remove the soundcard and put it next to your PC if that would make you feel better.
    Thank you for driving the final stake through my heart my friend.

"patentia" means patience, would be my guess. You shouldn't lose patience with me 'cause you should know me by now.

Peace out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Thank you for driving the final stake through my heart my friend.

"patentia" means patience, would be my guess. You shouldn't lose patience with me 'cause you should know me by now.

Peace out.
    1) Good order it now. You really will be glad you did.

2) Yes, my friend, sometimes we have to rattle your cage to get you through the confusing times.

3) Peace back atcha brutha.

1) Good order it now. You really will be glad you did.

2) Yes, my friend, sometimes we have to rattle your cage to get you through the confusing times.

3) Peace back atcha brutha.
    New bundle packages on the way. I'd wait a few weeks.

Its all about the Blu-Ray friends. And logical progression. Why buy a stand alone when you get so much more with the PS3. She can introduce some fan noise though. I'm looking for a quiet console fan solution. Advice Sticks or anyone. If I could get her just a little more air she won't rev up her fan which is a bit loud depending on RPM's. She doesn't always rev up so I'm pretty sure just a bit more air will fix problem.

Quote Originally Posted by captjamo
    Its all about the Blu-Ray friends. And logical progression. Why buy a stand alone when you get so much more with the PS3. She can introduce some fan noise though. I'm looking for a quiet console fan solution. Advice Sticks or anyone. If I could get her just a little more air she won't rev up her fan which is a bit loud depending on RPM's. She doesn't always rev up so I'm pretty sure just a bit more air will fix problem.
    I've heard of this problem with the noisy fan. So far, I haven't heard a peep out of mine. A few people seem to think that the 40GB is quieter than the 80GB. Not sure if that truth or fiction though.

rich the other problem is that 1680 x 1050 is not 1920 x 1080.

when you're listening to movies the way they're meant to be listened to (ie LOUD) then you shouldn't hear any fan noise.

i have a 60gb PS3 and i haven't had any fan noise issues yet.
    Home Theatre:
    50" Panasonic TH-50PZ77
    Denon AVR-3808CI
    B&W 603 S3
    B&W LCR600 S3
    Paradigm Cinema ADP v.3
    SVS PB12-NSD
    Xbox 360 250GB
    Playstation 3 60GB
    Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ 8TB
    Harmony One

2-Channel:
    Paradigm Studio 20 v.5
    NAD C320BEE
    NAD C521BEE

No I haven't heard anything either. I sit maybe 11/12 feet from mine. Actually, I've never looked that direction due to any noise. My old Comcast cable box was really loud though....you could always hear it during quiet movie scenes...glad it's gone.

I have the 60g.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information