Forum Regular

Talking Pronto remote - program it myself ?

I'm about to leap over the edge with technology and was wondering if anyone would like to comment on this aspect of it.

If you have a Pronto remote, did you program it yourself ?
    The sales person at Tweeter says that everyone that tries that comes back.

They want $889 for the remote with complete programming of all my other remotes (what about 6-8 of them).

What happens if/when I add a new device, who programs that in ?

Where do I get all of the codes for each of the individual remotes ?
    I will want the Pronto to have the capablity of execting every function of every remote that I have.

Would I be better off buying this online (lower cost) and doing all the programming myself ? Or would this be looking for trouble ?

What are the opinons on the best way to approach this aspect of Home Theather ?

Thanks in advance for any inputs,
    Mike

Forum Regular

it's simple...

Check out remotecentral.com...they've got an excellent collection of pronto related stuff. You can probably find files there that have your dvd player/tv/etc and just cut and paste as you go. I'n the ~2 years I've been using my pronto, that website has been invaluable.

You can do this yourself--it's not a big deal.

Good luck!

Forum Regular
    [QUOTE=samgupta]Check out remotecentral.com...they've got an excellent collection of pronto related stuff. You can probably find files there that have your dvd player/tv/etc and just cut and paste as you go. I'n the ~2 years I've been using my pronto, that website has been invaluable.

You can do this yourself--it's not a big deal.

Good luck![/QUOTE

Sam - Thanks for the vote of confidence, I was thinking that I could indeed do this, but was sure that I needed some pointers such as the URL you pointed me to.

Thanks !

What do you think about where to buy one, and what would be a good price ?

Thanks

Forum Regular

Question Factory Reconditioned ??? Worth the Risk ??

What do you think of this ...... they offer a 90 day warranty through Philips ..... go for it ??

Philips Pronto Pro TSU6000 Factory Reconditioned

I still have reservations about doing all the programming on this.

I went to the REMOTECENTRAL.COM site .........weeeeeee, blew my little mind I'll tell ya ..... Got lost in the first 5 minutes, seemed overwhelming .... but most 'new' things we get exposed to always seems that way at first

Thanks for any ideas !!
    Last edited by omikey; 03-19-2004 at 12:50 PM. Reason: typo

Forum Regular
    Looks like a good deal to me...one advantage to buying reconditioned is that you'll get a warranty with it. Back when I bought I did the same thing. The piece of mind is worth it.

The software for the pronto is pretty simple...after a few tries you'll have it all down. Getting started is the hardest part.

Good luck--and let us know how you like it after playing around for a few weeks!

Forum Regular

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by samgupta
    Looks like a good deal to me...one advantage to buying reconditioned is that you'll get a warranty with it. Back when I bought I did the same thing. The piece of mind is worth it.

The software for the pronto is pretty simple...after a few tries you'll have it all down. Getting started is the hardest part.

Good luck--and let us know how you like it after playing around for a few weeks!
    Thanks Sam, I'll get back here when I have some experiences to share with you. Looks like I'll buy the Ultimate Pronto Guide ... seems like a good solid investment of $17 !

If you haven't bought yet and don't need a color remote, you might want to look into the Sony RM-AV3000. It's a LOT cheaper ($110apx from B&H Photo online) and does everthing you need a remote to do. All of the programming codes come with it and you can customize the buttons to do what you need them to do. It also has a ton of programmable macro buttons. For example, I programmed the System 1 button to turn on my tv, put it into component input mode, sat on, avr on and in DPL2 mode. It will even dim yout lights if you have remote lights. It's so easy my 2 year old knows how to turn it on and off. Programming is a piece of cake. It's not color but if I want to see something in color, I'll watch tv. One other major concern, it doesn't eat batteries. Batteries last about 6 months. A lot of these remotes go thru batteries like water so look for that unless that Pronto has a charging base.

I will say this, having a touch screen isn't all it's cracked up to be. You can't do anything just by touch now. Instead, you have to look down and make sure you push exactly the right area. It can be a distraction.

I dunno, $500 for a remote seems excessive when that amount of bank will buy one helluva nice cd or dvd player. Still, if you've got the reserves, far be it from me to keep anyone from their toys !

Have fun!

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    If you haven't bought yet and don't need a color remote, you might want to look into the Sony RM-AV3000. It's a LOT cheaper ($110apx from B&H Photo online) and does everthing you need a remote to do. All of the programming codes come with it and you can customize the buttons to do what you need them to do. It also has a ton of programmable macro buttons. For example, I programmed the System 1 button to turn on my tv, put it into component input mode, sat on, avr on and in DPL2 mode. It will even dim yout lights if you have remote lights. It's so easy my 2 year old knows how to turn it on and off. Programming is a piece of cake. It's not color but if I want to see something in color, I'll watch tv. One other major concern, it doesn't eat batteries. Batteries last about 6 months. A lot of these remotes go thru batteries like water so look for that unless that Pronto has a charging base.

I will say this, having a touch screen isn't all it's cracked up to be. You can't do anything just by touch now. Instead, you have to look down and make sure you push exactly the right area. It can be a distraction.

I dunno, $500 for a remote seems excessive when that amount of bank will buy one helluva nice cd or dvd player. Still, if you've got the reserves, far be it from me to keep anyone from their toys !

Have fun!
    Speed - Thanks for the tips, haven't bought yet, and don't have to have color either.

As far as looking down at the remote versus the tv I was concerned about that a bit ..... however I also know that no matter how much I think I know my remote buttons, in the dark I often hit the wrong button (and it always seems to be just at the wrong time :-)) So I'm not so sure (for me anyway) that having to look at the remote will be a negative ..... I need to have something to implement that will make using the WHOLE system easy for the entire family to use. As it is, mostly I'm the person that has to always set everything up and run it, therefore others don't use it as they would if they could just put in a DVD and push one button :-))

I'll go look at the one you have pointed me to, THANKS !!!

Forum Regular
    topspeed brings up a good point...one thing that I find frustrating with the pronto is the lack on hard buttons. It's pretty lame when you have to poke around for 10 seconds to find the TV power icon when it's a no-brainer on the TV remote.

There are ways you can get around it--the pronto has a few hard buttons that you can assign for your own use...but if this is likely to bug you, take a look at the other options before spending your $$.
    Last edited by samgupta; 03-22-2004 at 10:13 AM. Reason: type

***** Lurker

Thumbs down Pronto Remote . . . Not pleased.

Had very unpleasant experience with this product. Never did work that way it was advertised and actually caused a few problems with my computer. Not pleased at all.

Forum Regular

Still Deciding on the Pronto

Quote Originally Posted by samgupta
    topspeed brings up a good point...one thing that I find frustrating with the pronto is the lack on hard buttons. It's pretty lame when you have to poke around for 10 seconds to find the TV power icon when it's a no-brainer on the TV remote.

There are ways you can get around it--the pronto has a few hard buttons that you can assign for your own use...but if this is likely to bug you, take a look at the other options before spending your $$.
    Thanks Sam .... currently here's my new thoughts. I was considering that I'd buy a Denon 3803 and was going to go with the Pronto.

NOW I think that I'm going to purchase a Denon 3805. I'm going to download the manual today and read all about that new programable remote that they have with the 3805, it's supposed to be capable of macros and such and can learn your entire system. So I'm going to wait on the Pronto ..... if in fact I get the 3805 I'll try it out on all my equipment ... if it can satisfy my needs then I can save a buch of time and money by not getting the pronto.

Not to mention the other nice new features of the 3805 ..... what the heck is $300 more dollars.

Anybody seen this new remote ?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Last edited by omikey; 03-23-2004 at 05:49 AM. Reason: typos

Thread Information