• 08-18-2006, 12:14 PM
    someguy03
    Projector has no HDMI/DVI, I'm screwed?
    For movies (and sometimes games) in my home theater room, I use a projector. It has VGA, S-Video, and Component inputs. I want to get an upscaling DVD player, but it uses HDMI output (and my projector doesn't have it). I also want to get a HD-player in the future, but I am aware that I need DVI or HDMI in order to avoid being screwed by HDCP protection. Am I already out of luck in both aspects? For the Upscaling DVD player, Would hooking it to a DVI-to-VGA converter cable work?
  • 08-18-2006, 01:27 PM
    N. Abstentia
    My neighbor actually uses a DVI-VGA convertor with his Samsung upscaling DVD player. Works pretty good.

What resolutions does your projector support though? Might want to make sure it will support 720 and 1080 first.
  • 08-18-2006, 02:29 PM
    edtyct
    N. Ab, he should be told that the conversion from DVI-D to VGA (analog) is a relatively expensive proposition, around $400--unlike the conversion from DVI-I (analog) to VGA (analog), which is relatively easy. And since a converter of this type is mainly for use with a computer monitor, it is unlikely to be HDCP-compliant and thus not work with the projector. If however, the DVI-D equipped DVD player isn't HDCP-compliant, as many of the early ones weren't, it should be okay. In any event, an HD disk player will certainly require HDCP via HDMI.