Forum Regular

Progressive Scan DVD for HD TV

Is it a requirement to hook up a Progressive Scan DVD player to a high def TV. Presently I am using a non progressive scan DVD player and when using the 16x9 setting the picture looks compressed vertically.

Audioholic
    No it is not, you tv Has converters to account for this. What type of display do you have, (crt, lcos, lcd, plasma....)? Because if it is a fixed pixel display it will be conerted to the tv's native resolution anyway.
    "I FEEL LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS"

Forum Regular
    Progressive scan DVD players are pretty cheap As you already have HD TV why don't you spend $50 or so on a progressive scan DVD player?

Forum Regular
    If you have HDTV, you can get clear picture with Progressive Scan DVD, But I suggest to go for Samsung Latest DVD Player, which upconverts Regular DVD to HDTV. I did not believe first. But I hooked up to HDTV month ago.. and you will see the difference. Cost : I paid $99 + Shipping from Costco.com.

Audioholic
    Yea I have a samsung hd 931 and if you have dvi or hdmi on your tv it makes a difference. I would recomend this player it has scored well in every torture test i have seen.
    http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...00000000005702
    "I FEEL LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS"

Quote Originally Posted by Mingus
    Is it a requirement to hook up a Progressive Scan DVD player to a high def TV?
    In my experience progressive scan DVD players usually do a better job of de-interlacing than the TV's upconversion circuitry. I wouldn't go too cheap on a new DVD player though, stick with a well known name brand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mingus
    Presently I am using a non progressive scan DVD player and when using the 16x9 setting the picture looks compressed vertically.
    Sounds like you have your DVD player set up for 4:3. Go into your DVD player's set up menu and change it to 16:9.
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Forum Regular
    Slosh, you are right I was in such a rush to make all connections that I forgot to make changes to the DVD player. I made the change and everything is fine. I plan on getting a better DVD player later on. The TV I purchase is the Samsung 50" DLP. The picture is fantastic.

Thanks for all the replies.

Thread Information