nightflier

Pre-pro died again - well, almost. It's still breathing, but geez!

OK, the pre/pro is acting up again. I had to return my PS Audio multi-channel amp, so I reconnected my standby Outlaw 7125 amp. While it was down, I also decided to install the Mapleshade cable and run some conduit. This necessitated a few days of everything being disconnected. When I re-connected everything it sounded horrible. It's as if the dialog on movies is warbled or sounds like it's coming from the sides. I have to turn up the volume and the center channel to even hear anything, but when there's an explosion or other loud effect I have to rush back and turn it down again.

So yes, my first thought was that %$#@# Mapleshade wire! Well I disconnected it and went back to my Kimber wire, which is now sitting on the tv room floor. But it still sounds horrible. Then I thought it was some processing mode I had somehow turned on. This was a good guess because analog sources (radio and CD) sounded just fine. But I really don't know more except that anything digital sounds warbled. I have a call into Outlaw, but now that it's out of warranty, I may be stuck with this brick. What worries me is that this sounds a lot like a what happened when the caps were leaking and I had to send the unit back, but this time it's less pronounced and only affecting digital and/or processed sound.

Certainly doesn't make me all that confident about that new 997 pre/pro (that is still not yet here). Onkyo, NAD and Emotiva and looking better and better, but I keep thinking that what I really need to do is simplify things. All that digital processing is way too complicated to do correctly for a smaller shop like Outlaw (or Emotiva) at an under-$1500 price-point.

Suspended
    Spearitsound has some pretty good deals on "demo/trade" surround processors. They had one of the original Krell HTS that cost new around $8k for only $899.00 but it would have really old technology, I'd have to check to see if it had component. It would make some one a killer 2 channel preamp though accept it's pretty large. Some Rotel that would be not so out dated. I think even a NAD Master series.

You sound like you have a pretty good collection of amps, if you wanted to I bet we could work a trade. I'd rather have a power or integrated in my collection than a A/V preamp. It's not like i would switch it in and out like an amp.

Sorry to hear about the problem.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    OK, the pre/pro is acting up again. I had to return my PS Audio multi-channel amp, so I reconnected my standby Outlaw 7125 amp. While it was down, I also decided to install the Mapleshade cable and run some conduit. This necessitated a few days of everything being disconnected. When I re-connected everything it sounded horrible. It's as if the dialog on movies is warbled or sounds like it's coming from the sides. I have to turn up the volume and the center channel to even hear anything, but when there's an explosion or other loud effect I have to rush back and turn it down again.

So yes, my first thought was that %$#@# Mapleshade wire! Well I disconnected it and went back to my Kimber wire, which is now sitting on the tv room floor. But it still sounds horrible. Then I thought it was some processing mode I had somehow turned on. This was a good guess because analog sources (radio and CD) sounded just fine. But I really don't know more except that anything digital sounds warbled. I have a call into Outlaw, but now that it's out of warranty, I may be stuck with this brick. What worries me is that this sounds a lot like a what happened when the caps were leaking and I had to send the unit back, but this time it's less pronounced and only affecting digital and/or processed sound.

Certainly doesn't make me all that confident about that new 997 pre/pro (that is still not yet here). Onkyo, NAD and Emotiva and looking better and better, but I keep thinking that what I really need to do is simplify things. All that digital processing is way too complicated to do correctly for a smaller shop like Outlaw (or Emotiva) at an under-$1500 price-point.

Its called outsourcing.
    Very few do their own chips, and most use standard designs for circuits and form factors,
    or they do a colaboration, like Sherwood and outlaw.
    I WAS THINKING ABOUT AN Outlaw prepro but after your experience , no way in hades.
    Thanks for being a lab rat, saved me a few bucks.
    Knew you liberals had to be good for something
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Dang I hate to hear about the problems. My Outlaw stuff has been rock solid and will be getting a 997 soon because the 990 is so well built. Next time tell them you want the 'gremlin free' model!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    Dang I hate to hear about the problems. My Outlaw stuff has been rock solid and will be getting a 997 soon because the 990 is so well built. Next time tell them you want the 'gremlin free' model!
    They are probably like Volkswagen, they put all of the bugs in one vehicle.
    Don't mess up too often, but when they do...
    Kinda like hitting the anti-lottery.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

nightflier
    Well the tech support has been very good. The last email told me that they will see this through until the problem is resolved. Maybe I just got stuck with the one that fell off the truck.

That said, there is no resolution yet. The problem is definitely with the digital processing. Analog works just fine. What is strange is that 5-channel stereo (which is a type of audio processing), is also working just fine. I'm hoping someone will be able to isolate what the problem is. One other detail is that while the problem is consistently there, it seems to fluctuate in intensity so that sometimes the sound is much more warbled than at others, even when watching the same scene again.

Any thoughts/ideas?

I assume you double-checked the polarity or your speaker connections. Reversed polarity can make sound come out sideways.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    Well the tech support has been very good. The last email told me that they will see this through until the problem is resolved. Maybe I just got stuck with the one that fell off the truck.

That said, there is no resolution yet. The problem is definitely with the digital processing. Analog works just fine. What is strange is that 5-channel stereo (which is a type of audio processing), is also working just fine. I'm hoping someone will be able to isolate what the problem is. One other detail is that while the problem is consistently there, it seems to fluctuate in intensity so that sometimes the sound is much more warbled than at others, even when watching the same scene again.

Any thoughts/ideas?
    Not surprizing that your five chan stereo is working, probably on a different chip,
    or a completly different circuit.
    IF YOU were thinking about buying a new prepro go ahead and junk this one.
    BUT be warned, the latest prepro from outlaw is new, so its' likely to have
    some "ironing out" to do.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

When I was pushing things through my Newcastle receiver, every now and then the sound would stray: vocals would fade and re-emerge; channels would drift; and at times it would spin on its axis and spit green soup. The problem could be remedied by either rearranging the interconnects or giving them a slight jostle.

Check to make sure your lines and interconnecting plugs are intact and that you have laid everything out as usual: interconnects away from power lines, etc.

Failing that, call a priest. Holy Water is getting expensive, but the real stuff does wonders. If he throws Poland Spring or Evian on your Outlaw, you'll be in real trouble.

nightflier
    Kevio,

Yes, I checked the polarity. Everything is as it should be.

Auric, ever notice when Evian is spelled backwards? And the the French market it to pregnant women....

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    When I was pushing things through my Newcastle receiver, every now and then the sound would stray: vocals would fade and re-emerge; channels would drift; and at times it would spin on its axis and spit green soup. The problem could be remedied by either rearranging the interconnects or giving them a slight jostle.

Check to make sure your lines and interconnecting plugs are intact and that you have laid everything out as usual: interconnects away from power lines, etc.

Failing that, call a priest. Holy Water is getting expensive, but the real stuff does wonders. If he throws Poland Spring or Evian on your Outlaw, you'll be in real trouble.
    Especially if its' plugged in.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Suspended
    Holy cable babble batauricle

That reminded me of a bad optical cable I had one time. NF, are you using an optical cable? This was like my first HT set up I got a bad optical cable and it was acting some what like NF is describing. I had forgotten all about it until Auric said something. I called my dealer and apparently it happened before because they knew what it was, I was in doubt personally, but exchanged the cable and sure enough the problem was cured.

PIX: Always the understated one, eh?

NF: Geeze, I never thought of that! Hmm....You're hurtin' mah head, man!

Mr. P: Swapping out could help. My cables will need to be replaced sooner or later. Seems like every time I pull out a pair, they're covered with cobwebs and a wolf howls in the distance.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    PIX: Always the understated one, eh?

NF: Geeze, I never thought of that! Hmm....You're hurtin' mah head, man!

Mr. P: Swapping out could help. My cables will need to be replaced sooner or later. Seems like every time I pull out a pair, they're covered with cobwebs and a wolf howls in the distance.
    So the "pair" is covered in cobwebs eh?
    Need to get out more often.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    So the "pair" is covered in cobwebs eh?
    Need to get out more often.
    That's cold, but Aa did set you up nicely.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

nightflier

I hadn't thought much about cables....

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Holy cable babble batauricle

That reminded me of a bad optical cable I had one time. NF, are you using an optical cable? This was like my first HT set up I got a bad optical cable and it was acting some what like NF is describing. I had forgotten all about it until Auric said something. I called my dealer and apparently it happened before because they knew what it was, I was in doubt personally, but exchanged the cable and sure enough the problem was cured.
    I don't use optical cables, but I do use Coax. I'll swap some thing this weekend and see what comes up.

By the way Mr.P., AA is offering a trade-in deal on the new PS Audio DAC (and the transport as well), up to $1000 so that might be a worthy deal for that AudioNote DAC:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PSPWDAC

Of course, I have an ulterior motive in that I would really like to read a review of that new PS Audio DAC/Transport combo. For most people the price point is a bit up there, especially in this economy, but this offer might bring it more within reach for some.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    That's cold, but Aa did set you up nicely.
    I hated to but it was too easy.
    Blow Bambis brains out if you get the shot.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Suspended
    Even with $1k off that's a pricy package and it looks complex, I still haven't figured out everything on my processor.

Suspended
    Maybe AA needs to sit a spell on one of those golf ball washers.

Thread Information