AR Newbie Registered Member

What am I doing wrong?

Just bought myself an Onkyo TX-SR603X and I am having problems getting any sound through my Bose(acoustimas 10) speakers. All connections seem Ok but I have to turn the vol to 40 to get any sound at all .Done all the setup and nothing seems to work. The tuner is also not delivering any sound. What am I doing wrong. Thanks for any suggestions/help.

Forum Regular

First Off

Assuming your receiver has a headphone input, plug your headphone in & see if proper sound is coming out. If not, then it is a problem with your speakers, if not, then it is a problem with other connections. If it is a speaker connection, 1. See that your speaker wires are connected correctly & not reversed 2. Then see what speaker setting you have it on. 3. Make sure you either don't have it set on mute or have it set on no sound coming out except your headphones. Also check your CD player, DVD player, TV connections including cables.

This will get you through the basics. If its still a problem, pay some high end stereo place or someone off Craig's list $75 or so to come over & fix it. Good luck.

First of all WELCOME to the forum!

I have an Onkyo and there are push buttons on the front that turn on speakers A and B. If these are not pressed your speakers will not be turned on, try looking at this FIRST, Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by ademolu
    Just bought myself an Onkyo TX-SR603X and I am having problems getting any sound through my Bose(acoustimas 10) speakers. All connections seem Ok but I have to turn the vol to 40 to get any sound at all .Done all the setup and nothing seems to work. The tuner is also not delivering any sound. What am I doing wrong. Thanks for any suggestions/help.
    I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days...Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days. I just refuse to have bad ones!!!, Jeff

Errrr.

I'f I'm not mistaken, the Bose Accoustimass series is "proprietary" in nature. That means that they only work when attached to the Bose Bass module or some such nonsense. I believe this is the case. If so, you just can't hook them up to a third party receiver and get sound.

Da Worfster

These speakers are proprietary within the speakers but CAN be hooked up to a non bose system, Jeff

I copied this from a Bose page...
    Five speaker arrays provide full 5.1-channel surround sound
    Acoustimass module provides full, rich bass at any volume
    System works with your existing stereo and home theater components

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    I'f I'm not mistaken, the Bose Accoustimass series is "proprietary" in nature. That means that they only work when attached to the Bose Bass module or some such nonsense. I believe this is the case. If so, you just can't hook them up to a third party receiver and get sound.

Da Worfster
    I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days...Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days. I just refuse to have bad ones!!!, Jeff

Yeah, if it's hooked up correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw
    These speakers are proprietary within the speakers but CAN be hooked up to a non bose system, Jeff

I copied this from a Bose page...
    Five speaker arrays provide full 5.1-channel surround sound
    Acoustimass module provides full, rich bass at any volume
    System works with your existing stereo and home theater components
    First off, ALL those teeny tiny little satellite speakers have to be connected to he Bose bass toaster as per the Bose instructions.

Next, the Bose bass toaster must be hooked up to the five speaker outputs on the receiver. Be very careful here. That's ten different wires and each one must go to the proper speaker output on the receiver. Check the Bose instructions on what goes where.

One good thing, though. You won't be using the LFE/sub out on the receiver.

Now, on the receiver, set the subwoofer to "off", or whatever the manual says you gotta do to accomplish this.

Now, if everything is hunky-dory, you should be getting the best sound that speaker system is capable of providing.

But, the guy was right. Does the radio work with headphones? Does you have some sort of antenna hooked up to the FM? Does anything work with the headphones?
    Last edited by markw; 08-11-2006 at 02:06 PM.

Welcome to AR.

It has come up in the past that Bose speaker systems don't always work and play well with others. Hopefully this is not the case with yours. Does your manual show instructions for hooking up to 3rd party receivers?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Thanks u all . I finally got it to work. It actually was working but I did not crank the vol up enough for these modern receivers (We used to call them amps and then with a small turn of the dial sound comes off. ) Now it shows about 35 approx. on the dial before any sound comes up) The listening level is about 50. That's all there was to it. Thanks

Thread Information