• 12-22-2005, 06:55 AM
    Defshep
    Pioneer VSX-D912 vs. Pioneer VSX-815
    I can get a Pioneer 912 receiver for around $180, or an 815 for $250. Is the newer model worth the extra $70? The specs seem pretty comparable, and the 912 seems to have everything I need connection-wise. I realize the 815 is 7.1, but I really don't have the room for an extra speaker (above 6.1) to make a difference.
  • 12-22-2005, 07:14 AM
    L.J.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Defshep
    I can get a Pioneer 912 receiver for around $180, or an 815 for $250. Is the newer model worth the extra $70? The specs seem pretty comparable, and the 912 seems to have everything I need connection-wise. I realize the 815 is 7.1, but I really don't have the room for an extra speaker (above 6.1) to make a difference.

What's wrong with your current AVR? Just asking
  • 12-22-2005, 05:35 PM
    Defshep
    Nothing. Just getting the itch for a new toy. Had a Panasonic SAHE200, but it wasn't wife friendly enough! I really liked the way the 6.1 soundtracks sounded with it.
  • 12-22-2005, 06:10 PM
    L.J.
    Quote:

Nothing. Just getting the itch for a new toy. Had a Panasonic SAHE200, but it wasn't wife friendly enough! I really liked the way the 6.1 soundtracks sounded with it.

I would start off with the less expensive if it meets all your needs. If you don't like it, move on to the next.

When I upgraded from one AVR to the next I didn't gain much as far as sound goes. It was my speakers that made the difference. But, it may be worth it( extra ins/outs, 6/7 channel, auto setup, better remote).

Have fun shopping!
  • 12-23-2005, 05:16 AM
    Defshep
    The extra digital connections are the real reason for the upgrade. I plan on doing the speakers next year. I think the Pioneer 912 is the right price for all I'm getting. It's hard to justify the extra $$$ for the 815 if the only extras are 7.1 instead of 6.1, and pro-logic 2x over pro-logic 2. Online reviews are great for both models.
  • 12-23-2005, 05:57 AM
    champ
    I would wait for HD-DVD and Bluray to come out next year. They may have a new surround format that's better than DTS.
  • 12-23-2005, 08:40 AM
    L.J.
    Quote:

The extra digital connections are the real reason for the upgrade. I plan on doing the speakers next year. I think the Pioneer 912 is the right price for all I'm getting. It's hard to justify the extra $$$ for the 815 if the only extras are 7.1 instead of 6.1, and pro-logic 2x over pro-logic 2. Online reviews are great for both models.

Hey Def,
    If you plan on holding on to this unit for awhile and want to take advantage of SACD&DVD-A in the future, I would make sure the unit I chose has 5.1 inputs. Also preouts and the warranty are things to consider as far as the future is concerned. Video switching and conversion are also things to consider. If the cheaper Pioneer offers all these, you may be good to go.

As far as HD & BR goes, I wouldn't let that stop me. Enjoy yourself now and worry about that when you need to :)
  • 12-23-2005, 03:11 PM
    thekid
    Def

If you can get the 912 for $180 go for it. There is one on e-bay for that much and quick search indicates this unit retails for $350-$450. It does appear to have many of the same features of the 815. I just bought and 815 and the auto speaker speaker set up using the included microphone did a awesome job calibrating my speakers to the room accoustics. My deservedly maligned Bose VCS-10 center channel speaker actually has clear sound coming from it and the 815 actually set it at -2db! My old Panasonic HE-75 I had the same speaker at a plus +4-6db depending on music or HT. The only negative that I would say that both units will have is a busy remote compared to what I was used to with the Panasonic. Good luck!!
  • 12-24-2005, 12:59 PM
    Defshep
    Thanks! Not too worried about Hi-Def & Blu-Ray audio, as it won't be really affordable until it takes off. I ain't paying 1000 bucks for a receiver!
    Everyone have a Merry Christmas / Happy Holiday! Be safe!