I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar

Pioneer VSX-815 update

Just an update on the VSX-815 that I mentioned purchasing last week. I know for most this unit is considered a budget/entry level unit but for the those on a tight dollar this unit should be considered.

I recently purchased this unit as an upgrade for my Panasonic HE-75. This unit is considered an entry level model especially at this price point but one of things that got my attention was the features that come with this unit. An automated speaker calibration function with microphone is just not something you get at this price. The microphone does not come with a stand but I used a bar stool and the adjustments it made to my set-up was remarkable. For those who prefer to calibrate their own set-up that option is available. For the novices like me the automated feature and quick set-up button on the front panel did the trick in getting my speakers set up with the unit in about 5-10 minutes. I will continue to tweak as I become more familiar with it. By allowing me to set my x-over to 80 for the first time this unit highlighted why I need a SW upgrade next.

Spec wise here is what you get;

Power Amplifier Design: Thermal Compensation Transistor

Surround Power: 100 watts x 7 (1kHz; 1% THD @ 8-ohms) 700 Watts total system power

Stereo Power: 100 watts x 2 (20Hz-20kHz; 0.7% THD @ 8-ohms) 200 Watts total system power

Digital Decoding & Processing: Double-precision 48-bit Motorola DACs; 192kHz/24-bit DACs, 96kHz/24-bit ADCs

DSP: Dolby Digital 5.1/EX, DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete, DTS 96/24/Neo6, Pro Logic IIx/Game Mode, WMA9 Pro, 9 Advanced Surround modes, 7-chanel stereo, Virtual surround back

Inputs: 4 audio/video/s-video, 5 digital ins (2 optical/1 front optical/2 coax), 5.1 multi-channel input, 3 component video, front AV inputs (including optical)
    Outputs: 1 component, 2 audio/video/s-video, headphone output, 7.1 preamp outputs (includes subwoofer)

Room EQ: Auto/Manual MCACC (including 5-band EQ),

Additional Features: Sleep timer, dimmer option, multi-way loudspeaker binding posts, AM/FM tuner

Remote: Preprogrammed with manufacturer codes and 1-line 8-character LCD

Dimensions: 16 9/16 " W x 6 1/4" H x 15 13/16" D
    Weight: 22 lbs. 4 oz.
    Warranty: 1 year parts & labor

The unit is set up in my 16x20 Family Room and this unit fills it nicely even though my front speakers are not in optimally listening position. I currently have an all Bose set up (201's front-161's rear and a VCS-10 center)My old Panasonic really struggled to get clear dialogue out of the VCS-10 and so I had to bump the level up 4-6db to get good sound. The VSX-815 has given all of these speakers new life! I was watching LOTR-Fellowship with my son (for about the 100th time!)and we both heard sounds that just were not there before. Obviously some of this is due to having the surround sound calibrated to the room correctly for the first time but also I think it is due to its ability to deliver increased power to the speakers over the previous Panasonic even though they are both rated at 100w.Unit produces excellent sound especally for music. I have the unit connected to my HD box and now listen to the digital music channels provided by Cox cable. The Sports DSP is also a plus when watching football and I am sure you NASCAR lovers will appreciate this feature on race day!

The only weaknesses I have uncovered at this point are the rather busy remote which some people may find cumbersome. The front panel display is small and so it is difficult to see your input source unless you are right on top of the unit.The owners manual could be little more user friendly but my perception may be based in part on my relatively simple Panasonic. With all the features included with this unit they may not have had a choice.

If you want further confirmation and a more detailed review of this unit please take a look at what Audioholics and Sound& Vision had to say about it.
    Bottom line this is a pretty good unit and for the money IMO it is a great unit.

http://www.audioholics.com/productre...verReview1.php

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...&page_number=1
    Last edited by thekid; 12-24-2005 at 12:49 PM.

Forum Regular
    thekid,

Thanks for the great review. I was very much looking forward to your review as I am anxiously awaiting my unit on the 27th. Of course I dont get to play with my new yoys until February when we move into our new home. I am glad you like it so well and I can appreciate the auto speaker feature because I am very much a novice myself.

Best of luck.

Forum Regular
    Great review. I just ordered an 815 (as they were out) from Rex, a local dealer for a grand total of $285. Can't wait to play!

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Entry level isn't fair....A few years back a receiver like this would have run $600-$800 easy. Looks like another solid value from Pioneer...good for them and congrats to you!!!

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Entry level isn't fair....A few years back a receiver like this would have run $600-$800 easy. Looks like another solid value from Pioneer...good for them and congrats to you!!!

Thanks Kex.
    I am still grinning about my decision on this one!

As one review mentioned they are not sure how Pioneer is doing all of this at this price but they do not seem to be sacrificing at the sound and quality level. Perhaps this is just a flat out attempt to grab market share. As people become happy with Pioneer at this price point they may be more willing to move up to the pricier Elite series.

The nice thing about this unit is that besides the features it does produce a pretty clean powerful sound. Even if you are not a fan of Pioneer I think you will appreciate them as your preferred manufacturer is going to have to try and come up with something that meets this model and other Pioneers on the price/feature level, so it should benefit everyone in the long run. Heck they are now offering a THX certified model for not much more than this one and it was not long ago that you could not touch THX except around the 1k price range.

Let the price wars begin!!!!

Forum Regular
    The 815 sounds pretty darn good. Just as of last year, one had to drop $400-$500 to get an automatic set-up feature.

It's nice to see Pioneer come out with a receiver like this.

Thread Information