• 10-25-2005, 10:56 AM
    vxaudio
    Pioneer vsx-1015 vs 915 vs 815 please help
    i'm looking into these receivers and i need advice:

price for new +shipping
    1015: $400 120wx7
    915: $305 110wx7
    815: $255 100wx7

other than wattage which goes up by 10 watts per upgrade, (im pretty sure the 100w would suffice for me) do any of you pros know why i should should consider the 915 or 1015 over the 815? here are the listed specs: any differences to note? i payed 300 for an onkyo 6.1 that doesnt look like it compares to these. Is Pioneer for real, or too good to be true? also, does anybody know about their BASS management?> one more thing, what is tx vs k. in there lines?

Brand New Pioneer VSX-1015TX 7.1 Channel A/V Receiver
    Key Features:

840 Watts Total System Power - 120 watts x 7 channel
    Digital Engine Double Precision 48-Bit Motorola
    THX Select 2 Certification
    Dolby Digital 5.1
    Dolby Digital EX
    DTS 5.1
    DTS-ES Discrete 6.1
    DTS-Neo6
    Pro-Logic IIx
    WMA9 Pro
    8 Advanced Surround Modes
    Virtual Surround Back
    Mid-night Listening
    Dialogue Enhancement
    Loudness
    MCACC Auto w/ Microphone
    Digital Analog Conversion : 192kHz / 24-Bit
    3 Audio / 5 Audio Video Input
    1 Audio / 1 Audio Video / 1 Video Ouput
    5 Digital Inputs
    3 Optical In
    2 Coaxial In
    Optical Digital Output
    Headphone Output
    Front A/V Inputs
    Speaker A/B :Selectable
    Front Panel: Aluminum
    Direct Construction
    FL Dimmer
    On-Screen Display
    LCD Learning Remote
    Dimensions (W * H * D) 16-9/16 x 6-13/16 x 18-5/16
    Weight 33 lbs. 14 oz.

Brand New Pioneer VSX-915-K 7.1 Channel Receiver
    Key Features:

7.1 Channel A/V Receiver with S-Video Conversion Built-in DTS-ES Discrete/DTS 96/24/NEO:6/Dolby Digital EX/Dolby Pro Logic IIx Decoder
    110 Watts x 7 Channels (8 ohms), Stereo
    3 Component Video Inputs/1 Output, 4 S-Video Inputs/2 Outputs (Including Monitor Output)
    5 Digital Inputs (2 Coaxial, 2 Back Optical, 1 Front Optical)
    5.1-Channel Input
    Front A/V Inputs, 4 Audio Inptus, 4 Audio/Video Inputs
    Double-Precision 48-Bit Motorola DSP
    9 Advanced Surround Modes, Virtual Surround Back Mode, Midnight Listening Mode
    LCD Learning Remote
    Auto MCACC Set-Up (Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration System) with Microphone
    Advanced Quick Setup
    DVD-Audio and SACD Ready
    192KHz/24-Bit Audio DAC
    Pioneer Thermal Compensation Transistor Amplification
    Large Banana Speaker Terminals
    7-Channel Stereo
    Direct Construction
    9 Advanced Surround Modes (Including Movie, Music, Theater, TV Surround, Sports, Game)
    Preamp Output for All Channels (7.1)
    Windows Media Audio 9 (WMA-9) Professional Decoder
    Dialogue Enhancement
    Composite Video to S-Video Conversion
    Fluorescent Dimmer
    Sleep Timer
    5-Band Acoustic Equalization
    SR+ Control, Speaker A/B (B Speaker or Bi-Amp)
    Headphone Output
    Loudness Control
    Speaker Configuration

Brand New Pioneer VSX-815-K 7.1 Channel Receiver
    Key Features:

Built-in DTS-ES Discrete/DTS
    96/24/NEO:6/Dolby Digital EX/Dolby Pro Logic IIx Decoder
    100 Watts x 7 Channels (8 ohms)
    3 Component Video Inputs/1 Output, 4 S-Video Inputs/2 Outputs
    5 Digital Inputs (2 Coaxial, 2 Optical, 1 Front Optical)
    5.1-Channel Input (DVD)
    Front A/V Inputs with S-Video Input and Optical Digital Input
    Double-Precision 48-Bit Motorola DSP
    9 Advanced Surround Modes
    Pre-Programmed LCD Remote
    Auto MCACC Set-Up (Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration System) with 5-Band EQ
    WMA9 Pro Compatible
    DVD-Audio/SACD Ready
    192KHz/24-Bit Audio DAC
    Pioneer Hybrid Amplification
    Large Banana Speaker Terminals (L/R/C/LS/RS/SBL/SBR)
    7-Channel Stereo
    Direct Construction
    Balance Control (All Channels), Loudness, Electric Tone Controls
    Virtual Surround Back Mode
    30 Random Preset Stations
    Dialog Enhancement, Auto Surround, Midnight Listening Mode
    Fluorescent Display Dimmer
    DSS (Digital Satellite System) Control, DVD Control
    Preamp Output for All Channels (7.1)
    SR+ (Smart Remote) Terminal Output
    Audio (Tuner Included)/Video Inputs: 4A/4AV
    Audio/Video Outputs: 1A/1AV+1V
  • 10-25-2005, 11:27 AM
    vxaudio
    one other question
    currently i have a 6.1 setup, with a 7.1 can you use one back center channel or do you have to use 2 mono backs? just curious how you would wire one back center?
  • 10-25-2005, 12:21 PM
    BRANDONH
    Quote:

Originally Posted by vxaudio
    currently i have a 6.1 setup, with a 7.1 can you use one back center channel or do you have to use 2 mono backs? just curious how you would wire one back center?

You can use one or two in the rear but the two are not mono, the Pioneer will allow you to set the levels for each of the 7.1 channels.
    I have an older system that requires a separate amplifier for the rear channels and mine is setup with two rears on my 7.1 and I love it!
    If you only have one rear then you can select that during the setup and on the back of the unit it will show you which output if you only want one.

Quote:

does anybody know about their BASS management?

The bass management sends a low frequency test tone to the subwoofer.
    If the speakers that are set to small or to the speakers that are set to large.
    When testing the Bass Manager you go up with the tone to the speakers limits not beyond.

Quote:

what is tx vs k. in there lines

I have no idea.
  • 10-25-2005, 03:00 PM
    kexodusc
    The TX I think is just arbitrary naming letters to signify it is THX certified (which is very nice, but not necessary). Basically it means that receiver did go through a rather grueling test that a lot of smaller receivers wouln't pass. Doesn't mean some of it's competitors, or smaller siblings couldn't also pass it.

I like the big bad 1015TX. It is loaded with power. When the company doesn't go cheap on power, you can bet it won't go cheap elsewhere. Truth is, most people I know who are Pioneer fans tell me this unit shares a lot in common with the $1000 Pioneer Elite model (that has more technical gadgetry, but not more power or better sound quality). I've played with this unit, and I like it every bit as much as my Yamaha RX-V1400, it sounded as nice as the H/K and Denon it was beside in the store. My local a/v shop is selling Pioneer these days like it's nobody's business.

Sound and Vision Magazine really liked the 815 compared to the Marantz SR-4500 at $430. Not bad praise at all.

Pioneer definitely has my attention. They've really made an effort in their receivers the last few years, and I think they have to be considered at least on par with the typical Japense brands and H/K. Except bench test show the Pioneers to have more real power.

You're right, 100 watts to 120 watts isn't a big difference, and you'll have more than enough. Consider this though, S&V mag's bench test showed the Pioneer 815 to put out a real 95 watts X 2, 70 watts X 5 and 61 watts X 7, all channels driven. The larger units will have more power left when all channels are driven. I'm guessing you won't need it that loud, but power is nice to have.

Nice to see Pioneer coming back.
  • 10-25-2005, 08:07 PM
    vxaudio
    thanks kex...
    i would love to get the pioneer 1015, but im on a budget and if i can save $150, i might go the 815 route. Unless, anyone knows any major disadvantages of this receiver vs any other receiver under 400 (including pio 1015). What other models can the 815 be compared to? it seems to have alot more features than say denon 1915, onkyos and yamahas in the same range. Please let me know what you guys think.
    ps. do prices typically fall between now and Christmas, or stay about the same, for receivers?
  • 10-26-2005, 04:05 AM
    kexodusc
    Quote:

i would love to get the pioneer 1015, but im on a budget and if i can save $150, i might go the 815 route. Unless, anyone knows any major disadvantages of this receiver vs any other receiver under 400 (including pio 1015). What other models can the 815 be compared to? it seems to have alot more features than say denon 1915, onkyos and yamahas in the same range. Please let me know what you guys think.
    ps. do prices typically fall between now and Christmas, or stay about the same, for receivers?

Gets to be a real balancing act when you ask yourself what you get for that extra $150. At this stage, not a night and day difference, then again, I don't think $150 will give you a night and day difference at any price point.

The 815, as I mentioned was compared strongly against the Marantz SR-4500. I've seen that Marantz compared to the Yamaha RX-V657 or HTR-5860.
    The 5860 is still my favorite budget receiver just because of all the gizmo's and sound quality it offers for the money. I'd put up more with the 1015 than the 815, it has a few more features you may or may not use, but you're gonna have to pay more too.

Dakmart.com sells the Denon AVR-1905 refurbed with warranty for $276. This is a $499 receiver with all the bells and whistles except for auto-setup. Great deal though.

These days I think it's pretty hard to make a bad choice.

I've never found prices to go down because of Christmas, they generally consistent. There's always previous years' models around,and of course after you buy your receiver you'll find a sale somewhere, but no sense losing sleep over that.
  • 10-26-2005, 05:32 AM
    ryk
    Yamaha RX V757 vs Pioneers 1015
    How does this measure up against the YAMAHA RX V757??? I had to return the Pioneer 1015. I have Paradigm 9se and they are 4 ohm speakers. Since the Pioneer only works with 6 ohm and above speakers, I returned it for the Yamaha. Is there any difference from the YAMAHA and Pioneer other than the 20 watt difference and the THX?????

The Pioneer sure sounded sweet...even though I only had it hook up for a couple of hours..It ran pretty hot due to the impedence. I did not want to loose anothet Receiver, and I sure as he** did not want to give up my Paradigm 9se's.
  • 10-26-2005, 06:18 AM
    kexodusc
    Better safe than sorry. 4 ohm speakers are usually conservatively rated but I like your thinking, don't chance it.

All that said, the Yammies recommend 6 ohms as well. The 1015 is beefier than the 757 (and my RX-V1400). I'd be surprised if it couldn't handle 4 ohm speakers. Heat would be the thing to watch for.
  • 10-27-2005, 11:08 PM
    evil__betty
    Good rule of thumb when buying a receiver:

buy one that has as many inputs/features that you need now plus a whole lot more.

What you may find yourself doing is saving a $150 right now, but in a year or so when you out-grow your receiver/get better speakers/want to use more features that your current receiver does not have, you will have to spend even more money then to replace it. Part with the money up front and I guarantee that you won't be dissapointed in the long run. You may not think that you will need all the extra features, but it sure is nice to have when you want/need to use them. Money well spent.