AR Newbie Registered Member

Pioneer Stereo Reciever SX-255R and a question about A/B Speakers

Im very new to the home theatre set up so excuse my lack of knowledge please.

For Christmas I am buying my mother a new reciever as hers is 20 years old. THe model that I am currently looking at is in the title. Now my first question is has anyone any experience with the model, is it any good? The full list of specs given is quoted at the end of this post.

My second question has to do with A/B speakers (of which I know nothing about), on the specs given for it on the website I am looking at, at the moment, it lists it's capabilities as having "A + B Speakers". My question is this, does that inherrently mean that if I set up two sets of speakers, one in the main room and one in an ajacent room I will be able to choose which speakers are playing be that just the A set, just the B set, and both or does it imply something else entirely? Thank you for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

Main Features
    Stereo AM-FM receiver

Remote control

40-Station AM/FM Random Preset Memory

Tone controls

A/B speakers

Power output @ 6 ohms 2 x 70 watts

Frequency response 20Hz - 20kHz

Distortion 0.9%

General
    Power AC 240Volts 50-60Hz

Power consumption 120 Watts

Demensions (W)420mm x(H)140mm x(D)298mm

Weight 6.6Kg

Quote Originally Posted by FIzban1397
    My question is this, does that inherrently mean that if I set up two sets of speakers, one in the main room and one in an ajacent room I will be able to choose which speakers are playing be that just the A set, just the B set, and both or does it imply something else entirely? Thank you for your help, it is greatly appreciated.
    Yes you are correct you can just play A speakers or just B speakers or both at the same time.
    Note: that when you want to listen to surround sound you must unselect the B speaker so just the A speakers are playing. otherwise the rear speakers will not play.
    I know that is the way Pioneer does it but can not say that for all receivers.
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Forum Regular
    Yes, the A/B speaker selector allows you to play either A or B speakers, or to play them both at the same time. Since this is a Stereo receiver and not a Home Theater receiver, you don't need to worry about how the A + B speaker function effects rear speakers, because there aren't any. But, you do need to know that the A/B speaker select button is in fact a means of wiring a two sets (pairs) of speakers to the same amplifier in parallel. That means that the effeciency and impedance of the speakers used is important.

Wiring two sets of 4 ohm speakers to this receiver and trying to run them both at the same time will result in an effective 2 ohm load, which the receiver will most certainly NOT be able to handle; it will probably go into protect mode or destroy itself. The receiver may not even be able to handle driving two sets of 8 ohm speakers if they are fairly ineffecient. Of course, the overall sound levels will play a factor in this as well... if mom doesn't listen at relatively loud volume levels, the receiver will have an easier time keeping up.

Do you have any information about the speakers which she plans to use with this receiver? The receiver will do what you want it to do, but at this point, the specifics of the speakers are more important than the specifics of the receiver.

Q

Thread Information