Forum Regular

Question Need some help......speakers, receivers and wattage

My father just bought a new set of speakers (Klipsch Cinema 8s). The speakers are rated at 60 watts a piece (the center 75 watts). My question is how many watts can actually run to these speakers. The reason I ask is because I haven't seen too many receivers that are rated at 60 watts a channel anymore. I never had to think about this when I bought my HT setup, all my speakers are rated over 110 watts. I don't want him to blow up his new speaker setup, could you guys give me some help? Thanks!

Cole

You can safely send a lot more watts to a speaker than it says if you use common sense. In fact, you're better off sending them more than less because forcing an amp into distortion by trying to squeeze every last drop out of it can cause severe distortion, which can cause more damage to speakers than a few extra watts.

the golden rule to follow here is simply :

"If it starts to sound distorted, something is straining. Turn it down NOW!

Forum Regular
    Thanks, I just wanted to make sure that these speakers wouldn't get an overload and fry up on him. Do you have a recommendation on the maximum wattage that he could use? Thanks again. Also, He has an older Tecnics receiver (still works great and sounds amazing) that doesn't have any digital audio inputs but has the 6 channel input option. We have been tossing around a couple of ideas. One of those is to update his receiver and the other is to get a DVD player that has a dedicated 6 channel output. I have been messing around with my setup. My DVD player has the option of either doing digital surround or using the 6 channel output. My receiver is completely capable of receiving both variations. I have A/Bing the two different sounds and as far as I can tell they sound very similar. The digital seems to be a bit louder and fuller but that might just be my receiver processing the sounds. So my question to you all now is should he get a new receiver or get a DVD player with the dedicated 6 channel output? Thanks again

Cole

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    markw gave you good advice. The only thing I could add is that speaker ratings usually refer to the electrical capacity of the voice coils of the drivers, but their actual mechanical capcity is often much lower at certain frequencies...if you crossover to a sub there's less to worry about. You'll know if you're pushing them too hard if you hear distortion, or hear the woofer "bottom out". I'm guessing you won't even listen that loud though. The speakers won't "fry" or anything. You'll get plenty loud.

If your father is looking at an upgrade, a modern a/v receiver with all the processing and digital features is definitely a must.

Forum Regular
    I think the receiver would be the best choice. I was trying to give him some ideas on how to get actual surround sound without having to pay out too much. He does have a subwoofer and his speakers are rated down to 92 Hz and I suggested setting his crossover at 110 Hz. What are the benefits of using digital over analog. He isn't looking for the most current sophisticated HT setup and is easily satisfied with sound if it sounds good. The receiver he has wasn't cheap when he bought it ($600) and it sounds great. He bought it roughly around 1999. He wanted to still use his record player so he got this one, Home Theater wasn't a concern then it was mainly just music. Knowing this would you still recommend him getting a new receiver? I think he would be just fine with a new DVD player, but then again I the sound of digital surround and I imagine he would too. He likes my setup Thanks!

Cole

Thread Information