• 09-22-2007, 04:01 PM
    Hank
    Picture Frame around Plasma
    I am upgrading my Home Theater (new Piioneer Pro150FD 60") placing it over a lowered fireplace mantel. I see on the web options to hide/conceal/dress-up your flat panel. I am considering a frame of some type. I know that you have to provide enough room to dissipate the heat. Most frames for the plat panel looks as it they cover a small area of the front of tv and extend down the side about 2-1/2" to 4-1/2". A question would be how do you get to the edge controls with the frame in the way? With this type of frame it looks to me like you will be able to see the mounting bracket behind. Not desirable. My alternative is to build a frame out away from the wall so the it extends to the top of the tv (about 7" in my cast) and has a decorative frame on top. The frame would not touch the tv. There would be 3" of clearence around the frame to tv. The top and bottom of the box portion of the frame would be open for air circulation. I am woundering if any of you out there have looked into frames and what you think of my approach from both a heat and aesthetic point view.
  • 09-22-2007, 04:30 PM
    musicman1999
    Sounds like a bad place to put an expensive television.It will be to high in the air,there will be heat issues and issues with running wires.

bill
  • 09-23-2007, 04:12 AM
    Hank
    Thanks for youre comments.

The mantel has been remodeled, lowered rendering an acceptable viewing height (only 12" higher than current). While remodeling a separate power and HDMI wire runs were added. The components are immediately next to fireplace. And we don't use the fireplace.
  • 09-24-2007, 02:06 AM
    pixelthis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hank
    I am upgrading my Home Theater (new Piioneer Pro150FD 60") placing it over a lowered fireplace mantel. I see on the web options to hide/conceal/dress-up your flat panel. I am considering a frame of some type. I know that you have to provide enough room to dissipate the heat. Most frames for the plat panel looks as it they cover a small area of the front of tv and extend down the side about 2-1/2" to 4-1/2". A question would be how do you get to the edge controls with the frame in the way? With this type of frame it looks to me like you will be able to see the mounting bracket behind. Not desirable. My alternative is to build a frame out away from the wall so the it extends to the top of the tv (about 7" in my cast) and has a decorative frame on top. The frame would not touch the tv. There would be 3" of clearence around the frame to tv. The top and bottom of the box portion of the frame would be open for air circulation. I am woundering if any of you out there have looked into frames and what you think of my approach from both a heat and aesthetic point view.

Sorry, but not much.
    If you do go this route get a ready made one, as there are all sorts of pitfalls.
    Like what happens when you cover up the infra red remote control port?
    A better alternative is a set with detachable speakers, this leaves a black frame around the picture. Sony sets sometimes have a piece of oversized glass, (or plexiglass) over the screen, looks really nice.
    And they sell heat dissapation mats that help with fireplace mounted TV sets, handy as this is a popular mounting option, so the heat problem has been looked into:1:
  • 09-24-2007, 04:16 AM
    Hank
    Thanks for the comments Pixelthis. Every little bit helps.

Speaking to covering up the infra red port, etc. My plan is to allow 3" of clearence between the tv and the frame all aroound, a custom made. I am doing this (which is different form the ready made) because the Pioneer Elite pro 150FD has controls and input/outputs located on the lower left side edge. May nee to get to them some day. Also the infra red port in this case will be wide open. Also, for clarity, my concern about heat is not from the firepalce (will not be used) but rather the heat intrapped by framing in the tv. In my earlier explanation I spoke to leaving both the top and bottom of the frame open to allow heat to escape.

Thanks again for the comments.

Any one else?
  • 09-26-2007, 11:49 PM
    pixelthis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hank
    Thanks for the comments Pixelthis. Every little bit helps.

Speaking to covering up the infra red port, etc. My plan is to allow 3" of clearence between the tv and the frame all aroound, a custom made. I am doing this (which is different form the ready made) because the Pioneer Elite pro 150FD has controls and input/outputs located on the lower left side edge. May nee to get to them some day. Also the infra red port in this case will be wide open. Also, for clarity, my concern about heat is not from the firepalce (will not be used) but rather the heat intrapped by framing in the tv. In my earlier explanation I spoke to leaving both the top and bottom of the frame open to allow heat to escape.

Thanks again for the comments.

Any one else?

Yeah, good luck.
    Some will try to deter you, don't think that is the place for a TV, but its popular for a reason,
    it looks cool.
    BUT it will look kinda weird when you play the yule logs during Christmas:1: