jpl
    Forum Regular

Sanyo 42" plasma?

Hi all, I've been lurking for a while, finally joined, and now have a question. I just purchased a Sanyo 42" plasma:
    http://www.sanyo.com/entertainment/t...productID=1245
    and love it, the price seemed cheap ($1497.00), but plugged it in and WOW ! Great! IMO. What can you guys tell me, if anything, from the specs? Does it seem like a good unit, I'm new to this so any info would help, thanks in advance!

From the specs (what specs?), you can tell almost nothing. No offense, but why are you starting to research after you've already bought something? If you like what you see, what else is left to do?

jpl
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by edtyct
    From the specs (what specs?), you can tell almost nothing. No offense, but why are you starting to research after you've already bought something? If you like what you see, what else is left to do?
    # Native Panel Resolution
    1024 x 768 pixels (WXGA)
    # Digital Scanning Display Format
    720p (all signals converted to 720p display)
    # Television Systems
    NTSC & ATSC
    # RF Antenna Input
    Analog - (UHF,VHF,CATV )75ohm
    Digital - 75 ohm
    # Audio Video Input Jacks
    Video Input 1:
    Composite Video or S-Video and Audio (R/L)
    Video Input 2:
    Component (Y,Pb,Pr) Video and Audio (R/L)
    Video Input 3:
    Component (Y,Pb,Pr) Video and Audio (R/L)
    HDMI Input:
    19-pin connector (Picture/Sound with HDCP)
    # Audio Output Jacks
    1-optical digital
    1-analog (R/L) fixed
    # Speakers
    Two (front) 6 x 12 cm
    # Sound Amplifier
    Built-in 5 W/Ch
    # Power
    120v AC, 60hz
    # Power Consumption
    351 Watts
    # Size (W x H x D)
    47.5 x 28.2 x 9.8" ( w/o stand 47.5 x 26.7 x 4.5")
    &
    contrast ratio: 5000:1

And, I'm not doing "research" after the fact, just asking your opinions, that's all, I do have 90 days to return it, as well if for whatever reason, so I figured let me find out if this a good unit or not or if there's something that I'm obviously missing. This is all new to me. Thanks.

jpl,

The feature set is all standard fare. You can't tell anything about picture quality, or any other performance-related characteristic, from it. The valuable background information, in addition to price, involves external information like what the TV's environment will be (viewing distance, typical amount of light in room, usual type of material), as well as such inside dope as accuracy and adjustability of color decoder and greyscale, how good the tuner is, how good the processing of non-HD material is (detection of 3:2 pulldown for films and motion adaptation for interlaced video), how deep the black level is and how well it stands up to brightness, how accessible the inputs/outputs are, how effectively it can withstand burned images, how uniform the quality of the picture is across the entire screen, whether the TV has any undefeatable edge enhancement, whether the HDMI input has any handshake issues with other devices or any other disabilities, whether the component inputs behave as well as the HDMI input (and vice versa), and whether the set holds up over time. None of this information can be gleaned from anything but a combination of serious firsthand scrutiny, third-party testimony, and a bit of comparative knowledge about what's on the market.

The big three plasma makers at this point are Panasonic, Pioneer, and Hitachi. All of their plasmas tend to do most everything well; thus do they provide a benchmark of performance for the rest of the field. The plasmas on the lower tiers often do certain things well (like features, brightness, or price) but usually miss out on other factors (like black level, signal processing, tuner, color/greyscale fidelity). One unfortunate rule of thumb is that the lower the price of a set relative to known commodities, the more likely it is to skimp on other parameters, if not all of them. If general performance is an issue--let's say a bigger issue than price--the legwork from ground zero can be daunting. You need to know what to look for and where to look for it (which isn't an easy proposition, despite the presence of most sets on someone's showroom floor). But the amount of review material in print can reduce the chance of egregious error quite a bit, as can the testimony of other purchasers.

I'm not trying to bust your chops; I'm just trying to convey the kind of itches that people on sites like this one like to scratch. Certain questions are nearly impossible for everyone to answer, but those who like to stick their noses into such matters can usually find out enough to make a rewarding purchase. I haven't seen anything about the Sanyo plasma. Bargain components that have a lot to offer usually don't escape the video community. You might seach the AVS plasma forum for discussion about your particular model.

Ed

jpl
    Forum Regular

42"

Thanks for the info, that was great, one other thing I found online was this press release:
    http://eet.com/press_releases/prnews...80&CompanyId=1
    Also, it does have a feature on it that prevents picture burn in, called "picture rotation", so far so good though, the picture is awesome, the sound is not great, only two controls, volume & tone! LOL

Zoran has a long history, much of it concerned with providing chips that multi-task. One benefit of its strategy is cost-effectiveness, thus extending technologies into price points that might otherwise evade them. But a drawback is that all-in-one IC solutions rarely perform their individual tasks with uniform success. Zoran has been known to provide budget gear with good enough performance for many applications, but their video deinterlacing often leaves something to be desired--no suprise, since such processing is demanding, arduous, and expensive to do with a high degree of accuracy. Zoran was also a major source of the Chroma Upsampling Bug, which plagued many DVD players over the years. But the proof is in the pudding. As I said in response to your first post, if you like what you see, then you made a good purchase. If you want to compare it with other plasmas that may, or may not, show a greater degree of refinement in those areas that I mentioned above, you may or may not have the same reaction. You have me at a disadvantage there, because I've never seen a Sanyo.

jpl
    Forum Regular
    As far as I can tell, this Sanyo is only at Wal-Mart, I know, I know, I hate Wal-Mart, I walked in to buy fertilizer and walked out with a plasma but I had an issue with the old 36" tube, and this solved the issue. So a little more insight, it will be used as an everyday tv, news, cartoons, sitcoms, and sports in hd, and after the first week of football, I thought I was looking out a window, very crisp, clear, outstanding colors, regular tv sometime comes in a little dark, IMO. I was an impulse buy, that why I'm asking questions now, worst case, it goes back in December, but so far, I love it. I walked into Best Buy and looked at theirs that was twice the price and said mine looks better, again, IMO. But I do not want the thing to crap out on me in January either, hence, the research now, and again, thanks for all the info!

jpl
    Forum Regular

jpl
    Forum Regular
    & even more stuff I Found:

* 42" Widescreen Plasma
    * 16:9 Aspect Ratio
    * Native Panel Resolution: 1024 x 768 pixels(WXGA)
    * Wide Viewing Angles:160+ H x 160+ V Degrees
    * Screen Saver feature to prevent burn in!
    * Integrated Digital ATSC + Analog NTSC Tuners
    * 181 Analog / 99 Digital RF channels
    * Receives ATSC signal formats (including 480i/p, 720p and 1080i)
    * 3D-YC Digital Comb Filter
    * MTS/SAP Stereo & Digital Audio
    * Two 6 x 12 cm speakers
    * Picture Shapes: 1-4 (w/remote control PIX Shape Key)
    * Picture/Sound Selections: Auto/Manual w/Tone
    * XDS-Extended data Service capability
    * V-Guide Parental Control
    * Trilingual Menus: English, Spanish, French
    * Closed Caption Compliant: NTSC-608, ATSC-708CC
    * Sleep Timer: 1/2 - 3 hours
    * Auto Channel Search
    * HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) input
    * 2 Component (Y-Pb-Pr with R/L audio) inputs
    * 1 S-Video Input (overides composite input)
    * 1 Composite Input (V,L/R)
    * 1 Optical Digital AUdio Output
    * 1 Fixed Analog Audio Out (R/L)
    * 1 ATSC-Digital RF Input (75ohm)
    * 1 NTSC-Analog RF Input ( 75ohm-UHF/VHF/CATV)
    * Detachable Bipedal Stand / Wall Mountable (with optional kit not supplied)
    * Dimensions w/stand: 47.5"W x 28.2"H x 9.8"D, 84.1 lbs

Specifications

Screen Size: 42 inch
    Brightness: 1100 cd/m 2
    Contrast: 10000:1
    Dimensions with Stand: 47.5"W x 28.2"H x 9.8"D
    HD-Ready: Yes
    DVI: No
    Widescreen: Yes
    Model No.: DP42746
    Shipping Weight (in pounds): 102.9
    Assembled in Country of Origin: MEXICO
    Origin of Components: Imported

None of this stuff is performance-related. The litany of features places the set squarely, and superficially, among its peers, but it doesn't reveal how well or conveniently anything works. You get what I mean, right? Nobody's mind should be made up, or changed, about the quality of this plasma based on this list or on the other material that you've posted. You really should consult harder-hitting sites--AVS, CNET, or some of the higher-end video magazine websites--for informed comments about the Sanyo, if any exist. Otherwise, assuming that you're still interested in understanding what's at stake, you'll have to buy a test disk like AVIA, Digital Video Essentials, et al., to examine such things as its ability to resolve, process, and display color and greyscale accurately. Then you might ask, How comprehensive is its menu scheme? Does it allow each input to be calibrated separately? Can you see strange blemishes or noisy artifacts on the screen sometimes or all the time? Is its HD picture soft compared to that of other displays at its price or in its category? Do its standard- definition images meet your viewing requirements or are they too bleary, soft, and lifeless? Can you zoom 4:3 material sufficiently to fill the screen in a manner that doesn't lose too much information around the edges or distort the center too much? These are questions that would occur to me. At this point, you appear to be the only person in position to provide any answers.

jpl
    Forum Regular
    Does it allow each input to be calibrated separately?
    No

Can you see strange blemishes or noisy artifacts on the screen sometimes or all the time?
    Only on grainy cable stations

Is its HD picture soft compared to that of other displays at its price or in its category?
    Softer on some hd channels, harder on other, controlled well w/ remote

Do its standard- definition images meet your viewing requirements or are they too bleary, soft, and lifeless?
    Good enough, like I said earlier, this is my everyday set, local news cartoons etc....

Can you zoom 4:3 material sufficiently to fill the screen in a manner that doesn't lose too much information around the edges or distort the center too much?
    It does have 2 zoom options, they seem fine to me, but I really do not see the need to use them.

Again, I feel this is a pretty good buy for my perticular application, I'm just wondering how good,I also think it's a new model and you will hear more about them as time goes on. I wish I could provide more detailed specs, but that all I can find online, hoping someone here could decifer and compare these basic specs to higher end models, things like tunner type, contrast ratio, resolution integrated Digital ATSC + Analog NTSC Tuner opinion, and the like.

One reason to use the zoom function, even if black bars on the side of the screen don't bother you, is to minimize the risk of the screen aging unevenly. If you tend to watch a great deal of 4:3 material unzoomed on a plasma, eventually the center of the screen will lose luster faster than the sides, leaving your 16x9 material with symmetrical discolorations at both ends.

This isn't a life or death situation. You don't seem to have any misgivings about this TV, and you don't seem to be the kind of videophile who's motivated to the point of distraction to maximize his viewing experience. So why not just enjoy what you've got? I have no interest in talking you out of it. I've told you some of the values meaningful to the truly obsessed, but the percentage of people who belong to that club is really small. Have fun. There's nothing wrong with being happy.

Forum Regular
    Hello edtyct;
    I think the gentleman just needs confirmation that he spent his money well. Theres a brief comment from the editor in the Oct. issue of TPV entitled " Just buy it and then enjoy it".
    It may not apply fully but it sure reads similiarly

Agreed.

Forum Regular

Vizio over Sanyo anyday!

Quote Originally Posted by jpl
    Hi all, I've been lurking for a while, finally joined, and now have a question. I just purchased a Sanyo 42" plasma:
    http://www.sanyo.com/entertainment/t...productID=1245
    and love it, the price seemed cheap ($1497.00), but plugged it in and WOW ! Great! IMO. What can you guys tell me, if anything, from the specs? Does it seem like a good unit, I'm new to this so any info would help, thanks in advance!

Hey Jpl,

I have been interested in buying a new set and have set a range in pricing from $2000-$4000, and screen size to about 55"-70". However I did look at the Sanyo 42" display offered at Wal-Mart. My advice is that sometimes picture quality is sometimes based on preference, and if it looks good to you than it suits you. In my opinion there are better buys out there. It seems that it may have been an impulse buy rather than a well researched one, and you might actually second guess yourself. I would strongly advise you into looking at Vizio's 42" plasma. It was featured in the May 2006 issue of Sound and Vision magazine. The TV's specs on paper seem quite comparable to your Sanyo, however I think this TV's build quality, picture, and overall performance will out perform your Sanyo any day of the week. The last I checked the Vizio's price was $1400-$1800. Sam's Club currently offers it and you may be able to Froogle it on the web. I agree with Edyct that your display appears to compete well with others, however as far as features like multiple HDMI inputs, PIP, 3:2 pulldown, etc, it may be behind the power curve. I would suggest doing any research before spending over $500, on something but that is just me. IMO, for my bedroom, I own a 27" Flat Panel CRT from Sanyo, not a bad TV, but not the best for the money. Vizio's Plasma is a STEAL!!!!

I have posted a link for you, check it out!!
    http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/equ...asma-hdtv.html
    KDS-R70XBR2
    AVR 2807
    Monitors 7v.4
    CC-370
    Mini Monitors
    Synergy 12"
    PS3
    D-TV HR21

Forum Regular

Sam's Club has Vizio 42" for $1300

Here is the link jpl!
    check it out
    http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...1&pid=_Froogle
    KDS-R70XBR2
    AVR 2807
    Monitors 7v.4
    CC-370
    Mini Monitors
    Synergy 12"
    PS3
    D-TV HR21

jpl
    Forum Regular

So far, so Great!
    http://forums.audioreview.com/images/attach/jpg.gif
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sanyo 42" plasma?-plas2.jpg  

Congrats, jpl. Looks good in your room.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Hey jpl,

Very clean looking! Well done, hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of it...

Cheers
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

jpl
    Forum Regular
    UPDATE:
    Still going strong, no problems, issues, or concerns, runs about 6 hours a day.

Forum Regular

wal-mart

I noticed at my walmart the other day that they put out a new line of tv,s. There is a whole new crop of 32'' & 37'' LCD'S. RCA, ILO, SAMSUNG, POLAROID, SANYO, PHILIPS, VIZIO, IMO the philips looked the best of all of them. They dont have a sanyo plasma at my walmart so i dont know how good of a pic they have. I must say the pictures of your tv looks very cool.

Thread Information