• 10-30-2011, 10:14 AM
    B&Waudio
    Perplexed
    Receiver: Yamaha RX V663
    Front: B&W DM 602’s
    Center Channel: B&W CC6
    Rear: B&W 686
    Subwoofer: Infinity P210

For music listening Im happy with my front speakers at the moment. I have a nagging feeling however Im not getting everything out of them that is possible. Im considering a new receiver but Im not clear on what a higher end receiver can do that mine cant. Aside from home theatre options what Im very interested in is clarity of musicality.
    Is there such a thing as cleaner power?
    Are the components within receivers of higher quality?
    To narrow down my question, what makes one receiver a better sounding experience than another?
    Thank you.

(I have about $800.00 to play with)
  • 10-30-2011, 01:30 PM
    Swish
    I think you're always better off with separates.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by B&Waudio View Post
    Receiver: Yamaha RX V663
    Front: B&W DM 602’s
    Center Channel: B&W CC6
    Rear: B&W 686
    Subwoofer: Infinity P210

For music listening Im happy with my front speakers at the moment. I have a nagging feeling however Im not getting everything out of them that is possible. Im considering a new receiver but Im not clear on what a higher end receiver can do that mine cant. Aside from home theatre options what Im very interested in is clarity of musicality.
    Is there such a thing as cleaner power?
    Are the components within receivers of higher quality?
    To narrow down my question, what makes one receiver a better sounding experience than another?
    Thank you.

(I have about $800.00 to play with)

When you say you're not getting everything out of them that is possible, do you mean during 2 channel playback of CDs and vinyl? If that's that case, I would recommend getting a nice 2-channel amp to drive your fronts. I do that now with my system, but it was an easier decision since I employ a 7.1 channel system and had a 5 channel and a 2 channel amp.
  • 10-30-2011, 11:30 PM
    B&Waudio
    My primary concern is optimum quality when listening to cd's.
    I spent some time at Magnolia today listening to several receivers.

Onkyo - 770W 7.2-Ch. Model: TX-NR709

Marantz - 700W 7.1-Ch. Model: SR5006

Yamaha - AVENTAGE 770-Watt / 7.2 Channel / RX-A1010BL

Onkyo - 945W 7.2-Ch. Model: TX-NR809

I listened using the B&W 685's which are most similar to what I own.
    The Marantz was in "safe mode" whatever that is so I didnt get to hear that one. The Onkyo 709 seemed to resonate with me but I know they run hot and have had firmware issues. The 809 is more than I want to spend. I need to go back and listen to the Marantz tomorrow.
  • 10-31-2011, 07:15 AM
    BadAssJazz
    We all have that vague feeling that we're not wringing that last drop of musicality out of some part of our home theater systems. It's normal. Well normal for audio enthusiasts and audiophiles. It's like waking up to find that all of the hype of home theater is really just another form of the Matrix and you're Neo, sans the cool $3K Armani jacket.

You can try several things to improve what you're hearing, from upgrades in receiver/speakers/sources; to adding a separate amp; to addressing flaws in room design/set up/acoustics; etc., etc. At the end of the day, though, you may find that an AV receiver, even one that costs $5000, will inherently have shortcuts that prevent it from competing with a well-conceived dedicated 2-channel rig. As long as you're willing to accept that fact the rest of the tinkering gets easier. In fact, it can be fun.
  • 10-31-2011, 09:23 PM
    B&Waudio
    Ill look into 2 channel amps. Thanks!
  • 11-01-2011, 04:29 AM
    Hyfi
    Unfortunately as implied above, you will most likely never drive your B&Ws to their potential with a mass market receiver. You can get a great used amp for your budget or add a little for new. (Some may suggest Emotiva amps)

I can say that for Music, my Integra pales driving my Danes and is far from the sound I get from my 2ch setup. Unless you drop several grand for a unit like the new Rotel...

Home Theater System Surround Sound Amplifier DVD Player - Rotel PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS