Forum Regular

Can one Yamaha receiver remote work with another model?

Long story short - I have an HTR-5590 and several keys on the remote do not work well anymore...a replacement costs $150 but my friend back east recently got a 5890 but has a universal remote and therefore has no need for the 5890 remote...can they work interchangeably or is there a way to make it work? I could try it but I don't want to have to have him mail it to me here and then it doesn't work and then mail it back...

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Some of the features will work, some might not. Your buddy might regret losing his remote if his universal remote's batteries die, or it breaks or something too.
    I've had much better luck buying a learning remote or somewhere...might be hard to pull off if your old remote has buttons that don't work at all, but if you can get them to work, this might be the way to go.
    Maybe you can clean and repair your existing remote?

Forum Regular
    $150? wtf
    I payed $60 australian for a new remote for my old yamaha reciever I used to own.
    Although it was a rx-v530 :P

Forum Regular
    i know the 5860 remote works on the 5760 (exact same), but don't know about the others. if you really want to test it, go to a store and buy the 5890 receiver (on your credit card so you don't need to front the cash), test the remote- then return it.

Isn't that a learning remote. Check the manual to see if it can be reprogrammed. You can get manuals right from Yamaha's web site.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Isn't that a learning remote. Check the manual to see if it can be reprogrammed. You can get manuals right from Yamaha's web site.
    What do you mean "reprogram" it? My 5590 remote is a learning remote as is the 5890...I know I could reprogram some of it but for things like turning the receiver on/off, I'm not sure if it would work or not...there is a BB close by...I guess I'll see if that one works first...

Quote Originally Posted by pdawg17
    What do you mean "reprogram" it? My 5590 remote is a learning remote as is the 5890...I know I could reprogram some of it but for things like turning the receiver on/off, I'm not sure if it would work or not...there is a BB close by...I guess I'll see if that one works first...
    I think I remember a place in the back of my Yammie's manual with codes you can use to reprogram (or re-learn) your remote to match another model. I may be wrong but it's worth a look.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular
    you're right about that, GMichael, but i think he's concerned about the power button not even working on the receiver- you really can't reprogram that- usually you are only reprogramming a DVD player, TV, cable box, etc.

i apologize up front if i'm off base.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Z
    you're right about that, GMichael, but i think he's concerned about the power button not even working on the receiver- you really can't reprogram that- usually you are only reprogramming a DVD player, TV, cable box, etc.

i apologize up front if i'm off base.
    No need to apologize. I see your point.

But I did once screw up my remote by accidentaly overwriting my power button with that of my DVD player. I had to reset the factory settings to get it back. So I think it may be programable.
    My remote has more than one power button. Maybe one of the others can be used.
    I'm not sure if that's right or not. Just giving ideas until someone who really knows steps in to help him out.

Thread Information