• 10-25-2004, 05:10 AM
    jtodd929
    Panamax or Monster line conditioner?
    Which manaufacturer do you feel makes a better product? could you say why? I'm trying to decide about whether to pick up the Monster HTS 5100 or the Panamax Max 5300. If anybody has any experiences or preferences they would share I'd really appreciate it.
  • 10-25-2004, 05:24 AM
    cashlz
    I recently faced the same dillema and ended up going with a monster power hts 2600. In comparing the two I found the monster to be more expensive but asthetically I liked the looks of it better. It has has "clen power" for what its worth. I think you can find this model on ebay fairly often for around $250 or so. And if you're dropping the kind of cash we all do on a/v equipment, might as well have it protected.
  • 10-25-2004, 06:41 AM
    jtodd929
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by cashlz
    I recently faced the same dillema and ended up going with a monster power hts 2600. In comparing the two I found the monster to be more expensive but asthetically I liked the looks of it better. It has has "clen power" for what its worth. I think you can find this model on ebay fairly often for around $250 or so. And if you're dropping the kind of cash we all do on a/v equipment, might as well have it protected.

    hehe. i like the looks of the panamax better. but im buying based on performance, so ill go either way. anything you find out about whether one performs better than the other like maybe each has a strength in one area over the other?
  • 10-25-2004, 07:33 PM
    nick250
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jtodd929
    Which manaufacturer do you feel makes a better product? could you say why? I'm trying to decide about whether to pick up the Monster HTS 5100 or the Panamax Max 5300. If anybody has any experiences or preferences they would share I'd really appreciate it.

    Neither will have any impact on the video or audio of your system so I would say go with cheaper one. Or you could do the smart thing and just buy a good quality surge protector.
  • 10-26-2004, 11:44 AM
    cashlz
    i guess im stupid then.
  • 10-26-2004, 04:00 PM
    Rycher
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by cashlz
    i guess im stupid then.


    Don't feel bad, everyone is stupid for considering line conditioners - especially from Monster Cable - at least that's the general consensus on these forums. Any time there is any discussion about Line Conditioners, or Monster in general, the flood gates open to the nay-sayers and the genius enjuneers. Anyway, I own Adcom, Panamax, and Monster line conditioners, all spread throughout the house connected to various equipment. I like the Monsters best for several reasons: they are built like tanks, they are made by a huge reputable company, they have a guarantee, they perform as stated, and they "shor r purdee". BTW, they do improve on both video and audio - if your equipment is of high quality. If you have a HTIAB, get a $10.00 strip.
  • 10-26-2004, 08:24 PM
    nick250
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by cashlz
    i guess im stupid then.

    No you are not stupid, you are learning. You have learned that line conditioners can not due signal processing and alter what you see on your TV or what you hear from your speakers.
  • 10-26-2004, 09:54 PM
    Smokey
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by nick250
    You have learned that line conditioners can not due signal processing and alter what you see on your TV or what you hear from your speakers.

    That might be a slight over generalization :)

    Line conditioner/filters can be useful if stability/noise of AC line is in question-such as light dimming/brightening when an appliances is turn on/off, and/or live close to large factories where AC line might be too polluted.

    But for most instances (as you pointed out), it might not be necessary. Just make sure to get a good surge protector :D
  • 10-27-2004, 02:38 PM
    cashlz
    I meant that to be sarcastic. The reasons I invested in this were, one for surge protection, and as silly as these other two may seem, for cable management (in a tower) and to know what kind of power input and output I'm dealing with. I had done some research before buying and certainly knew better than to expect this phenomonal change in things. There were no problems with video or audio before. With that being said, does anyone have any thoughts on running dedicated circuit from my breaker panel for a/v stuff or is that a bit of overkill?
    thanks!
  • 10-28-2004, 05:42 AM
    nick250
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Smokey
    That might be a slight over generalization :)

    Line conditioner/filters can be useful if stability/noise of AC line is in question-such as light dimming/brightening when an appliances is turn on/off, and/or live close to large factories where AC line might be too polluted.

    But for most instances (as you pointed out), it might not be necessary. Just make sure to get a good surge protector :D

    Agreed.
  • 10-28-2004, 10:30 AM
    sy_lu
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by cashlz
    i guess im stupid then.

    No. You are not :) Depends on where your live and how your house is wired, there can be a lot of noise on the power line. One just has to hook up a scope to see it. Some of course will argue a good power supply inisde your A/V should filter out those noise any way but in practices they may not and an extra level of filtering might help. It is what made you happy that counts.
  • 10-28-2004, 10:34 AM
    corwin99
    From my experience trying several line conditioners to fix the ac problems i have in my house (i should probably check with the power company), Line conditioners have limited ability to fix the problems, they do minimize them, as i have noticed. I hear static in my speakers when i use my Mixer on the same circuit as any of my audio gear. This static is minimized when i use a monster line conditioner, however it is not completely removed. I have problems with lights dimming when high current devices are used in the house as well, often i can hear it in the system as clicks and pops, even when the dryer starts and stops (and this is on its own circuit). If these things can affect the sound of my music to that degree, then i'm absolutely sure that quality of my sound system is very dependant on the Power going to it.