Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JK_Livin22
    You definitely have sparked my interest in Cambridge. I wondering though, as I consider Yamaha and Onkyo to be comparable manufacturers, is there a competitor of Cambridge that manufactures a comparable receiver in the same price range that would serve as a good comparison for the Azur 640?
    Maybe NAD could be close.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    Disc player-Sim Audio Moon Calypso
    Pre-amp-Sim Audio P-5.3 SE
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Wires and Cables-Kimber,Straight Wire, ixos, Gutwire and shunyata research
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Bluray--Sony and Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JK_Livin22
    Okay, I followed the link on HT passthrough and think I have a pretty good grasp on it. From my understanding you wouldn't want or need the second receiver to have HT correct? If this is right, then a two channel receiver like the Azur 840A would be a seemingly good choice. If I understand this note from the Cambridge Audio website correctly "Fixed level inputs allow the 840A to provide the front channel amplification when integrated with home cinema systems that use an AV processor" indicates that this unit has HT passthrough. I am understanding that correctly? Here is the link to that page:
    http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/summar...ed%20Amplifier

Can you determine if the less expensive models (740A or 640A) have HT passthrough?
    If i understand HT passthrough the main advantage it gives you is setting the input from the reciever at a specific volumn and that makes it easier to balance the speaker levels for HT.It can be done without the passthrough but you need to make sure the volumn on the integrated is exactly the same each time you use it.
    Am i converting some people to Cambridge? Good news,i have used several pieces of their gear and it is well built and sounds very good,it may not be as easy to find as the mass market stuff but worth seeking out.
    A friend of mine has the 840A and it is a world class amp.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

I would really love to pair the 840A with the Yamaha 3800 (or, while I'm wishing, the RX-Z11...11.1 surround; the speakers alone would break me). Unfortunately my bank account will only allow me but just so much play money, so I am leaning hard towards the 640r, and maybe can upgrade to separate units for music and HT in a few years. All of the reviews on the 640r were very impressive (as was the one I read on the 840A). I've found a dealer on the east coast US that has the 640r in black or silver for about $1300 and offers free shipping.

http://www.spearitsound.com/Cambridg...audio_640r.asp

Hello JK_Livin22.

When it comes to music playback and HT responsibilities such as switching, upconverting, upscaling, decoding, calibration, multi-zone/room, etc....., and you are looking for the best of all worlds, but music playback/sound quality is the virtue. As you stated in a previous post, music playback will make up 60-65% of the usage. Therefore, I would suggest, being that the Cambridge Azur 640R was mentioned as an alternative......and recognizing that it's very limited in it's HT capabilities, The Marantz SR series AV Receivers offer alot of value and performance. Please do yourself a favor a research the Marantz SR7001 or 8001. You can actually read an article on the 8001. See
    http://www.hometheatermag.com/floorl...ers/507tannoy/ and http://www.avguide.com/products/product-3899/
    Although the reviews are specfically about the 8001, for the most part, the 7001 shares the same features but for around $500 less. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the the Marantz is the only solution, but it's a product worthy of consideration.
    And to Musicman1999 and L.J.,....how could you two not mention the Marantz product when the first thing "JK_Livin22" stated was that 60-65% of the use would be music playback?!! I guess everyone is entitled to an opinion.
    "JK_Livin22" Check out the Marantz if you can! You won't be disappointed.
    ldgibson76
    Chance favors the prepared mine.

Quote Originally Posted by ldgibson76
    And to Musicman1999 and L.J.,....how could you two not mention the Marantz product when the first thing "JK_Livin22" stated was that 60-65% of the use would be music playback?!! I guess everyone is entitled to an opinion.
    Well this is a open forum and the whole point is for members to chime in with there thoughts. How could I suggest Marantz when I've never heard or owned any Marantz products. I've read good things about Marantz, but I have no reason to put Marantz on the top of my suggestion list. I was able to give my thoughts on what I have experience with and so did Musicman.

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    Well this is a open forum and the whole point is for members to chime in with there thoughts. How could I suggest Marantz when I've never heard or owned any Marantz products. I've read good things about Marantz, but I have no reason to put Marantz on the top of my suggestion list. I was able to give my thoughts on what I have experience with and so did Musicman.
    Point taken. But I do believe that I stated that everyone has an opinion. And yes, that is what the forum is for. Didn't mean to offend. I have had experience with the Yamaha product...I own an RX-V3000. And as you know, I own a Marantz SR9300 Receiver. The company I work for has beta tested the Onkyo products. So I try to be objective when I "chime in" to the forum. I think everyone brings a unique perspective. So L.J. and Musicman, I digress. But I stand by my opinion regarding the Marantz SR7/8001.

Regards.
    ldgibson76

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ldgibson76
    Hello JK_Livin22.

When it comes to music playback and HT responsibilities such as switching, upconverting, upscaling, decoding, calibration, multi-zone/room, etc....., and you are looking for the best of all worlds, but music playback/sound quality is the virtue. As you stated in a previous post, music playback will make up 60-65% of the usage. Therefore, I would suggest, being that the Cambridge Azur 640R was mentioned as an alternative......and recognizing that it's very limited in it's HT capabilities, The Marantz SR series AV Receivers offer alot of value and performance. Please do yourself a favor a research the Marantz SR7001 or 8001. You can actually read an article on the 8001. See
    http://www.hometheatermag.com/floorl...ers/507tannoy/ and http://www.avguide.com/products/product-3899/
    Although the reviews are specfically about the 8001, for the most part, the 7001 shares the same features but for around $500 less. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the the Marantz is the only solution, but it's a product worthy of consideration.
    "JK_Livin22" Check out the Marantz if you can! You won't be disappointed.
    Why do you think that the 640R is vey limited? Have you heard the Cambridge? It is not limited where it counts.As for the Marantz, when i bought my Cambridge it was to replace a Marantz.Not to say Marantz are not decent products,they are,but in my personal opinion
    they just don't sound as good as the Cambridge.
    Don't take my word,go listen to one,perhaps they will take your Marantz on trade.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

AR Newbie Registered Member
    I own the RX-V3000 and have waited years for an acceptable replacement (I'm a yammy fan). I know they had the RX-V3300 but they removed functionality. So I am eager for the RX-V3800 but have been waiting for reviews. I don't expect any issues, I've owned many Yamaha products with no problems.

I did just finish reading a full review of the Onkyo TX-SR875 in the 10/2007 (newest) issue of Sound&Vision. In general it got a great review and was tagged S&V Certified and Recommended. They did mention that it runs very hot.

Me I'm still waiting for the RX-V3800 review.

Quote Originally Posted by musicman1999
    Why do you think that the 640R is vey limited? Have you heard the Cambridge? It is not limited where it counts.As for the Marantz, when i bought my Cambridge it was to replace a Marantz.Not to say Marantz are not decent products,they are,but in my personal opinion
    they just don't sound as good as the Cambridge.
    Don't take my word,go listen to one,perhaps they will take your Marantz on trade.

bill
    As a matter of fact, I have had the pleasure of listening to the Azur 640R. And without a doubt, it's a great sounding av receiver. And I may have been a little too strong on my description of the 640 being "limited". It has as much functionality as any receiver out there excluding the newly introduced '08 models (latest HDMI technology). Am I partial to the Marantz product? Absolutely!
    And I will be the first to admit if the Cambridge produces a better product than Marantz. both manufacturers are highly regarded in the industry. Marantz, has been around a long time. Heritage, longevity, and high quality are all synonomys with the Marantz name. Cambridge has it's history also. High end sound at reasonable prices. I am familiar with both products. I own a CA Azur 640C v.2. An awesome CD player. Bottom line....both are good products. You've made your point. It's definitely a receiver to consider.

Regards.
    ldgibson76

Forum Regular
    I had a chance to hear the 840c not long ago. Wow,very nice.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

Quote Originally Posted by musicman1999
    I had a chance to hear the 840c not long ago. Wow,very nice.

bill
    Hello Bill.

It's funny that you mentioned the 840C. A couple of weeks ago, I was watching one on eBay to see how much it would sell for. I was very close to bidding for it. By the time I was ready to take the plunge, someone won it! To the tune of $1200.00. Now that transport is on a completely different level. The older I become, the more I appreciate audio. I thought the 640C would be enough for me....and without question, it's a nice cd player, but I crave more. I'm currently on the lookout for an higher-end player. Audiogon.com, here I come!

ldgibson76
    ldgibson76

Forum Regular
    You know i agree,the older i get i find that my musical taste has changed greatly over the years and it seems to change as my gear gets better. I recently changed an Arcam player for a Sim Audio and it is very good, it never ends you improve one piece and then you need to improve something else.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster