Forum Regular

Onkyo TX-SR702 vs Denon AVR3805??

Well, it seems the Yamaha DSP-AX1 is off the list, as i find the Yamaha sound a little to laid back for my taste. Ofcourse, so is the Harmon Kardon, as it;s very simular to the Yamaha.

Now, it's basically down to the Onkyo 702 or Denon 3805. I heard both today, and enjoyed both. Now, i can't find a place anywhere to let me bring home either amp for a side to side comparison. So, im going to obviously have to go with opinions here and ofcourse reviews. Both have great futures, but it seems the Denon is the clear winner according to most by a large margin. Like i said, i could not bring either reciever home for demo, so i can't really compare.

Any opinions would be more then welcome!

Forum Regular
    This may not be the kind of opinion you were expecting, but the receiver has practically nothing to do with your sound. It's almost all speaker choice and room acoustics. Buy the receiver that has the features you want and then pay attention to room treatments. IMHO of course.

Forum Regular
    I fully respect your opinion, and your absolutely with about doing the room right, but i personally think their is a diferrence from amp to amp. Some are warm, some are more bright, etc.

Infact, i listened to both the Onkyo and Denon in a proper done room, and could tell the difference between the Onkyo and Denon on the exact same speakers.

I remember bringing home a HK 3 or 4 years ago, and comparing it with the Onkyo. Even in my own home, the Onkyo sounded much better imo.

Anyways, that's beside the point here. What i need are opinions on the 702 and 3805.

I appreciate your honesty and opinion though, i really do.

Well, if you think the Yamaha's too laid back, then you're in trouble with these choices as well, given Yamaha's reputation for sounding "bright" compared to other makes (personally, I think it's more perception driving reality).

If you've already done the comparisons, go with what sounds best to you. If you prefer a certain receiver, no need to get external validation from us. As others have said, the room acoustics and how the speakers react to the environment will dictate what you hear far more than anything to do with the receiver. The differences between receivers are far smaller and less significant.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Well, if you think the Yamaha's too laid back, then you're in trouble with these choices as well, given Yamaha's reputation for sounding "bright" compared to other makes (personally, I think it's more perception driving reality).

If you've already done the comparisons, go with what sounds best to you. If you prefer a certain receiver, no need to get external validation from us. As others have said, the room acoustics and how the speakers react to the environment will dictate what you hear far more than anything to do with the receiver. The differences between receivers are far smaller and less significant.
    I find that really strange.

I just don't see how the Yamaha sounds bright after hearing them in a few different set-ups and different speakers.

Either way, your right about going with what sounds best. I really is the only way!

Having said that, ive already put an order on the Denon AVR3805 after really enjoying the sound from it, but more importantly the extra power and ability to bi-amp your mains. Ofcourse the auto calibration future is also great, which seems to be standard these days anyways......

Forum Regular
    You can't go wrong with any of those receivers- i know you already ordered the Denon, but remember you could always buy both receivers, test them at home, and then keep the one you liked better. That's why credit cards are so great- just be sure you're familiar with the store's return policy.

When I was looking for receivers, it was worthless listening to them in the store because they weren't using my speakers, it wasn't my room, etc...

You should definitely be happy with the Denon!

Enjoy.
    Eric

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooch28
    I find that really strange.

I just don't see how the Yamaha sounds bright after hearing them in a few different set-ups and different speakers.

Either way, your right about going with what sounds best. I really is the only way!

Having said that, ive already put an order on the Denon AVR3805 after really enjoying the sound from it, but more importantly the extra power and ability to bi-amp your mains. Ofcourse the auto calibration future is also great, which seems to be standard these days anyways......
    Until the latest platform, Yammies were known for being a bit more detailed (or bright depending on your tastes). I find them very neutral now...in fact, I find they sound pretty much like Denons or Onkyos. H/K's and Marantz units sound a bit different to me, not much. Either way, I share the same sentiments as those above. The infinitely small differences in receiver sound are much less important than the sound from your speakers and room. I say go with the cheapest one that meets your needs...
    Of course, if you are hearing an unbearably laid back sound from these, don't buy it.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Z
    You can't go wrong with any of those receivers- i know you already ordered the Denon, but remember you could always buy both receivers, test them at home, and then keep the one you liked better. That's why credit cards are so great- just be sure you're familiar with the store's return policy.

When I was looking for receivers, it was worthless listening to them in the store because they weren't using my speakers, it wasn't my room, etc...

You should definitely be happy with the Denon!

Enjoy.
    Eric
    The problem was, all my local retailers carrying the Denon had a no return policy so that wasen't an option, but it was something i wanted to do.

Anyhow, i enjoyed listening to my previous Onkyo for years, but the last one i had in the 575DX lacked power. The Denon, atleast from what i heard had quite a bit more and sounded very much like the Onkyo. Basically, i wanted better amplification, that's why i went with the Denon as people seem to be raving about the internal amp and power supply in the Denon. Also, the Bur-brown dacs are a plus!!

As you say, i should be happy with the Denon, or i better be anyways!!

You couldn't go wrong with any of the choices you had. Enjoy the Denon. It should make you happy for a very long time.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Thread Information