Forum Regular

Question onkyo tx-sr602 decoder issue?

OK, so this unit, tx-sr602 is old but I'm only now going to try to make a ht setup. In doing so I'm now using the optical inputs from a moto cable box and sony dvd player. 2 funny things now happen. Using video 1 for the cable the rcvr doesn't recognize any Dolby or DTS and from the disc player I only get sound from CD's and not DVD's. I've been through the setup menus and the manual some 16x's and can't wrap my brain around this one. Only thoughts are that the decoder is too old for what's being thrown around on these high band width outputs. Anybody else seen anything like this.

Forum Regular
    For all who have looked at this and wondered if I had looked at the old DVD player manual the answer is no. Never had one since I got the unit open-box at Best Buy. So I finally looked for it on the Sony site and yup, it's not the receiver. Had to choose to use the optical out. So problem solved, thanks for looking anyway.

Suspended
    Have you tried changing from bitstream to LPCM, or vice versa? I believe LPCM is decoded at the source, where bitstream is decoded at the receiver.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bfalls View Post
    Have you tried changing from bitstream to LPCM, or vice versa? I believe LPCM is decoded at the source, where bitstream is decoded at the receiver.
    Bitstream can be decoded from either the player or receiver. Almost all soundtracks are encoded into bitstream on the software, but the player can transcode from a bitstream(lossy or lossless) DTS or Dolby stream, to a LPCM stream.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs