Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Onkyo HT models...

I've got the screen now I'm thinking of upgrading my HT receiver (might as well go whole hog so to speak). I'm partial to Onkyo as I know how to use their gear so I've been scoping out the 905 and 875. Problem is this, I noticed that Onkyo's gone to the "6" series on some of the lower end models does this mean that the 5 series is done? Should I wait until the switch over? Anyone know how much longer that'll be?

I DON'T want to pay full price for a model that's due to be replaced any day now. I wrote to Onkyo, we'll see if they're honest and write back.

Da Worfster

Suspended

Mister, you're really starting to become a pest, ya know that?! When the heck is Festus going to start another poll over in Fav Films? Just send me $1.5K and I'll send ya back what you need.

Here are some threads L.J. started about a year ago reviewing and discussing the Onkyo's vs. Denon vs. Yamaha:

Onkyo 805

Thoughts on my 805 situation

I don't know what the story is now with the 805 and its popping/lip sync issues, but on the whole I think you can conclude that they're a sound investment.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Hey Worf, I think the "6" factor might be worth looking into, don't have an answer, but I do know that Onkyo's "5" series got some pretty darn good reviews. I can't think of anything really lacking on them feature wise and if you're heart is set on Onkyo, you could save a bit of dough buying a late model new receiver just before the 6's hit stores.

I shall be very curious to see what you do...my own purchase merely a matter of months away...

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Hey Worf, I think the "6" factor might be worth looking into, don't have an answer, but I do know that Onkyo's "5" series got some pretty darn good reviews. I can't think of anything really lacking on them feature wise and if you're heart is set on Onkyo, you could save a bit of dough buying a late model new receiver just before the 6's hit stores.

I shall be very curious to see what you do...my own purchase merely a matter of months away...
    You're going to buy a pre/pro, I just know it which means you'll no longer be my mentor.

Thanks Pardner

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas

Mister, you're really starting to become a pest, ya know that?! When the heck is Festus going to start another poll over in Fav Films? Just send me $1.5K and I'll send ya back what you need.

Here are some threads L.J. started about a year ago reviewing and discussing the Onkyo's vs. Denon vs. Yamaha:

Onkyo 805

Thoughts on my 805 situation

I don't know what the story is now with the 805 and its popping/lip sync issues, but on the whole I think you can conclude that they're a sound investment.
    Thanks for the information, I of course had read them already, (us Klingons are nothing if not thorough) but I revisited them anyway. My ole 898 used to pop every once in a while but usually when I wasn't watching or listening to anything LOL. I'm thanking and thinking..

Yours...

Da Worfster

Yes.. I AM a pest but even pesky Klingons are good to have around at times.

Kex my bro....

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc

You'll be the second person to know right after I do.

Da Worfster

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    You're going to buy a pre/pro, I just know it which means you'll no longer be my mentor.
    Hey! Back off sucka! He's MY mentor.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    Will you still be MY mentor? (Not that you spend much time around here anymore)

If you want me to be. But there sure are a lot of posters around here that know more than I do.
    Sorry about being so busy lately. What's a guy to do?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    Ummm... GM. A poster is an inanimate object. Essentially you're saying a tree knows more than you. I don't think that's the case and you surely don't want to give pix ammo do you?

OK, so I know more than your average tree (or Pix). There are still plenty-O smarter people on this site.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    OK, so I know more than your average tree (or Pix). There are still plenty-O smarter people...
    And elitists, and egotists, and arrogant(ists), and flamers, and so on and so on...

Cool

[QUOTE=Rich-n-Texas]Ummm... GM. A poster is an inanimate object. Essentially you're saying a tree knows more than you. I don't think that's the case and you surely don't want to give pix ammo do you?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    If you want me to be. But there sure are a lot of posters around here that know more than I do.
    Sorry about being so busy lately. What's a guy to do?
    you're average potted plant knows more than you do.
    SORRY,I was going to let this slide (in spite of serious damage trying to hold it in)
    but then you made that crack...
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    you're average potted plant knows more than you do.
    SORRY,I was going to let this slide (in spite of serious damage trying to hold it in)
    but then you made that crack...
    No problem Pix. I found your reply to be rather mild. Mine was funnier though.

Hey all....

I've decided to wait till the "6" series of Onkyo receivers hits the market then I'll probably get a marked down 905 as I can't see what they could add to make me buy a new model. Unless they manage to eliminate all the miniscule flaws. Thanks for the information...

Da Worfster

Suspended
    that's one hefty machine Worf. I think you'll be happy with it and I'm willing to bet its elusive bugs will be a non-issue by the time you're ready to buy.

BTW, you can use it to keep yer "guns" in top form! Wait'll you go to pick it up.

Cool

If you get an Onkyo make SURE its got the silicon optix reon chip.
    TRUST ME ON THIS.
    Mr P will back me up on this.
    Funny, I was going to use my receiver for a preamp, but the amps are fine, thinking of getting the new onkyo pre-amp and using my receiver amps for awhile
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Heard a rumor that one of the focuses of the "6" series was to eliminate the popping noise that is, according to their data sheet, standard with the "5" series. That said, I own a "5" series, don't have that popping noise, and love the damn thing to death.

20 years ago when I first started buying "hi fi", Onkyo was the brand that I went with...mainly because I was a stock person at Macy's and we could crank the things as loudly as we wanted to when the store was closed. Back then, Macy's had Yamaha, JVC, Sony and Onkyo as their mainstays. We put every last unit to the test (the electronics manager was a certified audio nut!), and Onkyo was the clear winner.

Fast forward to now. After several years using a Denon, Rotel and very briefly a Pioneer Elite AVR, I came back to Onkyo. No regrets whatsoever.
    *Panasonic 60" Plasma HDTV
    *Marantz AV7005
    *Marantz MM7055
    *Oppo Digital BDP-95
    *Silverline Audio Sonatina MK II
    *Silverline Center Stage
    *Silverline Audio SR11
    *SVS SB12

http://www.panasonic.com
    http://www.marantz.com
    http://www.oppodigital.com
    http://www.silverlineaudio.com
    http://www.svsound.com

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssJazz
    Heard a rumor that one of the focuses of the "6" series was to eliminate the popping noise that is, according to their data sheet, standard with the "5" series. That said, I own a "5" series, don't have that popping noise, and love the damn thing to death.
    I think there's been a fix for the DTSMA issue as well. Onkyo released a firmware update for the "5" series to take care of the DTSMA thing but I'm not sure how that's working out. Glad to hear your not having any issues. Very nice unit for the $$$.

Reon-HQV, eh? [Reaches for wallet.] Crap, guess I need to research the 875 and 905!
    *Marantz AV7005
    *Marantz MM7055
    *Oppo Digital BDP-95
    *Silverline Center Stage
    *Silverline Audio SR11
    *SVS SB12

Cool

Reon-HQV, eh? [Reaches for wallet.] Crap, guess I need to research the 875 and 905!
    YEY SON, reach for thy wallet, I will swear to you that I have seen the promised land,
    and SILICON OPTIX is plastered across the door.
    Olevia is a "loss leader" type tv, they don't have their "street cred" yet, but the job
    I saw one do on the standard def version of The Golden Compass!!!
    The Sony and Vizios sitting next to it were embarassed by the amazing, artifact free pic.
    Of course its my understanding that the Olevia's use the big brother of the Reon, the
    Realta (I think that is the name),
    BUT its the same basic goodness, with the reon being the "lite" version.
    If you have a rather large DVD collection and want to forgo Blu for awhile, this will do in the meantime
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    If you have a rather large DVD collection and want to forgo Blu for awhile, this will do in the meantime
    I own just two movies on Blu Ray, choosing to rent the rest from Netflix. As soon as the Panasonic's BD50 drops, that will be my next upgrade on that front.

In the meantime, I own about a hundred standard DVD's and watch them quite a bit. Seriously considering picking up the 905 and toying around with that over the Fourth of July weekend.
    *Marantz AV7005
    *Marantz MM7055
    *Oppo Digital BDP-95
    *Silverline Center Stage
    *Silverline Audio SR11
    *SVS SB12

Cool

I own just two movies on Blu Ray, choosing to rent the rest from Netflix. As soon as the Panasonic's BD50 drops, that will be my next upgrade on that front.

In the meantime, I own about a hundred standard DVD's and watch them quite a bit. Seriously considering picking up the 905 and toying around with that over the Fourth of July weekend.
    keep us informed, I have been looking at those, as well as the 805 (no reon) and the onkyo pro preamp that they have, I have seen one in the 1300 price range, great for a serious preamp.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information