Onkyo 805

Printable View

  • 07-02-2007, 08:08 AM
    kexodusc
    I find it odd that Onkyo wouldn't expect the popping noise to be something of a deterrent for many potential customers, whether it affects performance or not isn't really the issue. Whether it could bother people, or scare them off is.
    Just a bit weird. It'll be interesting to see if its successor model has the same noise.
  • 07-02-2007, 08:22 AM
    L.J.
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bobsticks
    So what's next on the audition list, L.J.? The 875? I/we appreciate you being the guinea pig for us all :biggrin5:

    Seriously, I do appreciate you taking the time to post your findings as, at some point, I will be looking to upgrade my processing power and probably would have gone with this unit based on previous experience with Onkyo. I guess I find this a truly revoltin' development.

    Lead on, McDuff.

    Maybe the 875 & Denon 3808. Not sure when Yamaha is gonna step up with the 1800/2800 or whatever they're gonna be. The 875 & 3808 can be preordered at JR for $1299 right now. Your looking at another month (maybe less if all goes well) before these are available. My only concern though is paying for a bunch of features I just won't use.

    I picked up my 2nd 805 for $700. Now I'm really gonna be in a tight spot trying to find something else. Not sure if I wanna jump up $600 to rid myself of this minor speaker popping annoyance and a bunch of features I'll never use. I have another month to decide.
  • 07-02-2007, 08:25 AM
    brulaha
    $700??? where? CC was down to $850, but they are back up to $989.
  • 07-02-2007, 08:43 AM
    L.J.
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by brulaha
    $700??? where? CC was down to $850, but they are back up to $989.

    CC had a sale Saturday morning. The unit was on sale $839 (second time they've had it this low) and there was a $50 off code you could use online taking the price down to $789. I purchased online and when I did my pickup I used a 10% off coupon. Total came to $711. Rumor is that another sale is supposed to happen on the 4th.
  • 07-07-2007, 06:46 AM
    kelsci
    Hi forum members; I made a post last week that Cnet would have a review on the 605. They did not review the unit on their weekly newsletter lastnight. I have no idea why. They did review the Sony 810 which was rated average but did comment that the 605 is a better buy for what it featured. Hopefully they should have the review of the 605 up shortly. Customers have been writing in their opinions of owning the unit. Those have averaged an 8.9 out of 10 equipvalent to an excellent.
  • 07-11-2007, 06:16 PM
    L.J.
    That 605 review is finally available. Not a bad buy, especially if you can catch it on sale at CC. They had it down to $349 and you could have used a 10% off coupon on top of that :yikes:
  • 07-11-2007, 08:07 PM
    kelsci
    Hi L.J.; note that the review did not address the issue you were having with your receiver.
    Also of note is that even though the receiver possesses a decoder for the high definition audio tracks, the players do not possess encoders to send that via bitstream over a hdmi cable. This audio thing has really been goofy to me and confusing. I also think thay John Q. Public has been screwed around with bigtime with this whole audio business. I also think that the video conversion taking place in this reciever as well as others has been quite goofy as well. CNET felt the receiver as competent though and a good unit for future proofing and a downright reasonable price which I think is true.
  • 07-12-2007, 09:16 AM
    L.J.
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kelsci
    Hi L.J.; note that the review did not address the issue you were having with your receiver.

    Based on the 605/805 speaker popping thread over at AVS, about 30% of those that voted (a little over 200) has this issue. Oh, but wait, according to Onkyo this is normal :crazy:

    This seems to be less of an issue with my 2nd unit but it does still happen. Lately I've just kept the sound on mute until the movie starts. No biggie. It only happens with MC PCM so I don't have to bother with it all the time but it is annoying. The question isssss...do I wanna spend almost twice the amount to rid myself of this :arf:

    Call me crazy but I may pick up a 3rd unit and see what happens.


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kelsci
    Also of note is that even though the receiver possesses a decoder for the high definition audio tracks, the players do not possess encoders to send that via bitstream over a hdmi cable. This audio thing has really been goofy to me and confusing. I also think thay John Q. Public has been screwed around with bigtime with this whole audio business. I also think that the video conversion taking place in this reciever as well as others has been quite goofy as well. CNET felt the receiver as competent though and a good unit for future proofing and a downright reasonable price which I think is true.

    Very good points. HDMI is at a very confusing point right now.

    In most situations 1.1 would probably do fine. It's gonna take awhile before 1.3 catches up. And even if the hardware does support it (PS3, New Onkyos) the software needs to as well. You'd be shocked at how many people are asking (Onkyo 605/805 thread at AVS) how come DTSMA or TrueHD isn't working although they set their PS3 or HD player to bitstream.

    The video scaling in the 875 or 3808 would be a waste for me. I'm more than happy with the pic I get from my 2910. I've been using my PS3 lately though since it scales to 1080p, but I'm no videophile, it all looks the same to me........freakin' sweet. Just can't see dropping more $$$ for features that are useless to me.
  • 07-22-2007, 08:04 AM
    L.J.
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I find it odd that Onkyo wouldn't expect the popping noise to be something of a deterrent for many potential customers, whether it affects performance or not isn't really the issue. Whether it could bother people, or scare them off is.
    Just a bit weird. It'll be interesting to see if its successor model has the same noise.

    Well the 875's are starting to show up and have the same "issues" as the 805. The popping sound (Actually more like a thud. Kinda like lightly tapping a mic with your finger)and also running very hot.

    More later......I'm off to Home Depot.
  • 07-28-2007, 10:18 PM
    garethwd
    RE poping noise
    Onkyo have been on the avforums in the uk and stated that there is going to be a firmware update to fix the poping noise and that it seems to only happen with the PS3
  • 07-29-2007, 09:37 AM
    L.J.
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by garethwd
    Onkyo have been on the avforums in the uk and stated that there is going to be a firmware update to fix the poping noise and that it seems to only happen with the PS3

    That's good to hear. Although some considered it a minor issue, and Onkyo stated that it was "normal", I just didn't like it. A couple of times I left the volume turned up and had some really loud pops. Not sure if it could damage my speakers or not.

    Thanks for the info.
  • 07-11-2008, 08:32 AM
    TJM68
    805 deal at C.C.
    Just to let everyone know, I was looking for a 705 at c.c. and they didn't have any in stock. They had an 805 floor model in their home theatre display room. They said it had been set up for 2 months. I asked them if they would sell it and they said they would take $120 off the $699 price. I haggled a little and got it for $475. The 805 is more than I need but I couldn't pass on the deal.
  • 07-11-2008, 11:50 AM
    BadAssJazz
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TJM68
    Just to let everyone know, I was looking for a 705 at c.c. and they didn't have any in stock. They had an 805 floor model in their home theatre display room. They said it had been set up for 2 months. I asked them if they would sell it and they said they would take $120 off the $699 price. I haggled a little and got it for $475. The 805 is more than I need but I couldn't pass on the deal.

    Great deal! I paid $600 for mine NITB. About a week ago CC was offering an additional 10% off for the 4th of July weekend. As much as I hate their in-store presentation and selection, you can usually come away from CC with a bargain.
  • 07-16-2008, 04:46 AM
    Worf101
    bargain????!!!!
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by BadAssJazz
    Great deal! I paid $600 for mine NITB. About a week ago CC was offering an additional 10% off for the 4th of July weekend. As much as I hate their in-store presentation and selection, you can usually come away from CC with a bargain.

    That's outright theft. Ouch, I'm suddenly VERY jealous. LOL good job to both of you.

    Da Worfster
  • 08-14-2008, 09:33 AM
    wishstar99
    hi,

    i recently bought this unit (onkyo tx-sr805). and i'm totally new to this. i only have two floor standing speakers (FRONT L AND R).

    i'm using the BI-AMP...

    my question is: in the speaker set up menu. do i turn off Subwoofer, SUR BACK LEFT AND RIGHT?

    in the manual, when connecting BI-AMP, it says that: FRONT LEFT and SUR BACK LEFT to FRONT LEFT Speaker and FRONT RIGHT and SUR BACK RIGHT to FRONT RIGHT speaker. so, do i turn off SUR BACK LEFT AND RIGHT in the setup menu? or leave it on?

    Thank you.
  • 08-14-2008, 10:24 AM
    L.J.
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by wishstar99
    hi,

    i recently bought this unit (onkyo tx-sr805). and i'm totally new to this. i only have two floor standing speakers (FRONT L AND R).

    i'm using the BI-AMP...

    my question is: in the speaker set up menu. do i turn off Subwoofer, SUR BACK LEFT AND RIGHT?

    in the manual, when connecting BI-AMP, it says that: FRONT LEFT and SUR BACK LEFT to FRONT LEFT Speaker and FRONT RIGHT and SUR BACK RIGHT to FRONT RIGHT speaker. so, do i turn off SUR BACK LEFT AND RIGHT in the setup menu? or leave it on?

    Thank you.

    Go into setup menu, choose speaker settings and set it to "bi-amp".

    Once you’ve completed the bi-amping connections
    shown below and turned on the AV receiver, you must
    set the Speaker Type setting to Bi-Amp to enable biamping
    (see page 45).