Forum Regular

Question One question,Den 3803 stronger Yam 2400

I've had people tell me that the Denon 3803 would have better seperation for movies than the Yamaha 2400.Something to do with the amps equal all 7channels.THX

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Denon fans will tell you that the 3803 is better. Yamaha fans will say the 2400 is better. I doubt you'll ever get the answer you're looking for. The 3803 has a tiny bit more power with all channels driven. It is extremely doubtful such a small difference will improve sound quality. Besides, it's rare that all channels are driven consistently at maximum power for an extended period of time in any soundtrack, in which case the power outputs are about the same. I'd say if the Yamaha isn't enough power, you'll want a lot more power than the Denon too.

I think "separation" has more to do with speaker setup and receiver settings 99% of the time than the actual sound quality of the receivers.
    Best to test them for yourself find out which you prefer.

I listened to both side by side, through the same speakers in the same room, while I was auditioning avr's. Lemme tell ya, you have to be listening really hard to hear any difference. Differences are discernable in Pure Direct mode, but that's more a component of the different DAC's than the amps. Like Kex says, the difference in power won't be noticeable. I preferred the 3803, but I've always liked the way Denon treats rbcd's. Pick whichever you prefer. They are both quality pieces so you can't really go wrong. If the 2400 has YPAO, that's a considerable advantage.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by pate
    I've had people tell me that the Denon 3803 would have better seperation for movies than the Yamaha 2400.Something to do with the amps equal all 7channels.THX
    Kex and topspeed's comments are spot on.

Anything with the channel separation would likely have more to do with the DSP processor and system settings than the amplifers, since the default DD and DTS decoding are handled identically. Both receivers use seven channel amplifiers with equal power and discrete output circuits, with the Denon having slightly higher overall system power but not enough to make a huge difference.

Thread Information