Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Regular

Older Marantz high-end 14EX, 18EX and 19EX receivers? Do you know the differences?

I have a Marantz SR 8000 which I love very much. I am thinking of upgrading to a Marantz SR 14EX, 18EX or 19EX but it is difficult to determine the differences between these receivers. Some say the 18EX and 19EX have 130 watts/channel and the 14EX is the only one with 140 watts/channel while others talk of their 18EX or 19EX (or even the 18 or 19 non-EX) as having 140 watts/channel. Does the 14EX have HDCD decoding? Does the 19EX have DTS-EX while the others only have THX-EX?

If I could find an owners manual for the 19EX it would be handy. If you can direct me to a PDF of an owners manual for the 19EX and/or you know the differences between these receivers, then please offer what info you can. Thanx.

edit - I have downloaded owners manuals for the 14EX and 18EX but nothing for the 19EX.

Last edited by morkys; 12-10-2006 at 05:26 PM.

Forum Regular
    Both the 14 and the 18 have 140 wpc, the 19 has 130...but another publication listed 120... as to what their decoding abilities are, its hard to know without the year of production for the specific piece you are looking at... the 19EX has been discontinued, so spec sheets are hard to find on it...

Closest thing i could find was a product release sheet and some reviews...

http://www.marantz.com/p_prod_release.cfm?id=11&cont=AM

http://www.avrev.com/equip/marantz/

Both of those are fairly informative about its stats and features, however.

Both of the current incarnations of the 14 and 18 do decode HDCD... hard to say whether or no the older one would..

http://us.marantz.com/c_sr18ex_man.pdf
    http://us.marantz.com/c_sr14ex_man.pdf

dunno how helpfull that was, but it's what i can find on the web.. . Ill call marantz tomorrow at work and see if i can track down a PDF for the 19EX.. since they no longer host it on their site.

Forum Regular
    Thanx for the info. I forgot to mention that I have those owners manuals downloaded from that same website. Those owners manuals say that the 18EX has 130 wpc and the 14EX has 140 wpc.

Forum Regular
    Wow, thats really odd.. i see that it does say they are different wattages in the manuals, yet on thier product spec sheets they both clearly say 140 ...

http://us.marantz.com/c_sr18ex.pdf

http://us.marantz.com/c_sr14ex.pdf

oh well, ill see if i can get the PDF for the 19 tomorrow anyway.

Forum Regular
    Yep, it is weird. I wonder if there are difference ones for different countries. Although I am in Canada, I will buy whatever I can find in Canada or the USA for a reasonable price. I see the SR 18 and SR 19 are rated for 140 watts some times, but then the SR 18EX and 19EX are rated for less. Notice that although the files are called 18ex and 14ex, only the brochure for the 14EX says 14EX in the copy. The 18ex file only says SR-18. So which is it? I guess I should tack on the 18 and 19 as models I need to learn, but they don't have component switching and that is something I need. I guess my bigger issue is that I am concerned that 10 watts makes a difference...lol, and it probably doesn't e really. I am sure 10 watts doesn't make a difference, but perhaps the extra 10 watts reflects other design upgrades. Anyhow, I figure if I am going from the 105/100 wpc SR 8000 I may as well get all the watts I can. My speakers are 6 ohms, so 140 wpc into 8 ohms means I go up from my 125 watts into 6 ohms that I have now, to 175 watts into 6 ohms

Upgrade bug bit, eh?

Two things to keep in mind, at least.

1) To get a barely audiable 3 decible increase in peak loudness levels, you need to double your power. That would mean going from 100 watts to 200 watts. Anything below that would be hardly worth it. And, you will never hear a 10 watt difference.

2) HDCD is nice. Not a night and day change nor an industry standard, but still nice in some circumstances. Do you really think it's worth the scrratch to upgrade for? Have you listened carefully? Aside from the 6db volume level difference, which is mandated by the specs, did you find a significant difference?

If those were your only two issues, I'd suggest you think carefully...

Forum Regular
    I am aware that I need double the power to get a perceived increase in volume. I don't want that much more volume. Ok, I am not upgrading for the power alone. The higher power is mostly simply indicative of better amp components and the higher power could help low bass at moderate volumes. I don't listen really really loud. I have thought of grabbing a couple of MA 700's which would almost exactly double my power from 125 watts to 250 watts per channel. Here are the reasons I am interested in the 14 EX or 18/19 EX.

1) Better amp and more power. (HDAM pre-amp like the SR 8000 but probably a better amp section)
    2) Component switching (I have a few different dvd players and other component sources)
    3) 80 hz crossover
    4) 6.1 or 7.1 channel surround modes
    5) Pre-outs and pre-ins AND the ability to re-power the front speakers for more real ommph but then power added surrounds with the internal amps - not too important but neat
    6) HDCD decoding (not sure if my Yamaha C750 is doing this..it may be, and if it is, I don't need it)

I will think seriously about it. Perhaps there is something else out there that suits my needs, but the 14 and 18 EX seem kinda neat if I can find one for a reasonable price.

Thanx for the sensible feedback. I would buy a used one for a reasonable price, and then listen and compare with my SR 8000 before deciding on replacing the SR 8000 completely.

Forum Regular
    Found out the component switching is practically useless because it is limited to 8 mhz - 1dB. 480p needs at least 10 mhz or higher...

Does that make sense? Has anybody tried switching 480p dvd signals via one of these receivers?
    Last edited by morkys; 12-17-2006 at 07:58 AM.

Forum Regular
    Anybody know whether these receivers could switch 480p without degradation?

Forum Regular
    I don't know if this will help you because I'm a total newb here,but I have an SR-18 and the manual says 140 wpc at 8ohm,Marantz says you can drop it to 4ohm for 200 wpc.And I can't get my player to play in the 480p setting through this with component.
    Marantz SR-18
    Eosone RSF1000's
    Eosone RSC 300 Center
    Eosone RSF 400's
    SVS PC 20-39
    Samsung 42" DLP
    Xbox 360
    PS3 60gig

Forum Regular
    You mean when you set it to 480p when connected to your SR 18 the signal doesn't go through properly?

Forum Regular
    I actually only need interlaced component switching for now. If anybody has an SR 19EX, 18EX or 14EX and wants to sell it, I am interested.

Forum Regular
    Ok, what about newer Marantz receivers. What is a good example of something which has more power than the SR 8000 but sounds as good or better?

Forum Regular
    I'm sorry for that uneducated advice I gave you on my 18,it will do everything you ask of it.It just doesn't have HDMI capability.And I see these every once in a while on ebay for around 700 or more,you wouldn't be sorry you bought one,this is a beautiful machine.
    Marantz SR-18
    Eosone RSF1000's
    Eosone RSC 300 Center
    Eosone RSF 400's
    SVS PC 20-39
    Samsung 42" DLP
    Xbox 360
    PS3 60gig

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by powerlord
    I'm sorry for that uneducated advice I gave you on my 18,it will do everything you ask of it.It just doesn't have HDMI capability.And I see these every once in a while on ebay for around 700 or more,you wouldn't be sorry you bought one,this is a beautiful machine.
    Are being sarcastic? Your advice was fine. I would prefer the 14EX because it has lots of other toys, but I am open. If there is an 18EX or 19EX I will seriously consider either of those. I would just rather locate a 14EX.

Forum Regular
    No I wasn't being a smart ass.The 19 is the least powerful of the 3.But I haven't heard many complaints about any of these.You can't go wrong either way,I really like mine.I think it out classes my Eosones and I haven't heard the best this reciever has to offer yet,even so it still has more head room than I've ever heard.And the component switching is just fine,I have my PS3 run HDMI to my TV and the audio into the optical on the SR-18 and I can't complain.
    Marantz SR-18
    Eosone RSF1000's
    Eosone RSC 300 Center
    Eosone RSF 400's
    SVS PC 20-39
    Samsung 42" DLP
    Xbox 360
    PS3 60gig

Forum Regular
    Ok, fair enough. Thanks for the feedback. A few of these were available a while back, some 14 and 18 EX's and then they dried up. Guess I have to wait until somebody else tires of their big toy and wants the latest surround modes

With the pre-out main in's of the 14 EX, I was thinking I could get two Marantz MA 700's to power the front channels and re-direct the pre-out's for the un-powered surround channels to the now un-used internal amps and have a fully powered 7.1 system.

Does the 7.1 work matrixed for DTS or just DD?

Forum Regular
    Is there anywhere else I can look for one of these? I look here, AVS, HTF, Canuck Audio Mart, Audio and Video gon, secrets forum etc etc and haven't seen one for a long time.

i don't understand why your limiting yourself to these models? They are older receivers and the new Marantz models have everything your looking for and then some.
    Remember, power ratings don't mean alot...most are with 2 speakers driven only. So don't get focused soley on wattage.
    Take the middle of the road Marantz 5600 or 7500, they have HDCD, PLII, Neo:6, 7.1 inputs (blue ray, SACD,DVD-A, DVD-HD) and 7.1 preouts for adding another amp if needed. component switching, 2nd zone, etc....
    both can be had for the same price or lower than the older models you seek.

Plus, if you think the AVR amp isn't enough, buy the SR5600 online for $400 and add an external 5 channel amp. Let the 5600 - 6th and 7th amp channels drive the rear surrounds if your at 7.1. Say, you buy a used 5 channel amp for $400-500, then your at $900 bucks for a pre/amp. Not too shabby for the money.

Forum Regular
    Hey morkys an SR-19 just came up for sale on ebay.
    Marantz SR-18
    Eosone RSF1000's
    Eosone RSC 300 Center
    Eosone RSF 400's
    SVS PC 20-39
    Samsung 42" DLP
    Xbox 360
    PS3 60gig

Forum Regular
    I would like 7.1 but I'm not interested in CS or DPL II. The reason I like the SR 14EX is that I love my SR 8000. I like the HDAM's. The 14EX has all sorts of design characteristics that make the music sound good. The 14EX also has main-ins which is handy. I am not limiting myself. I am also considering these models:

8200 (preferabley upgraded to 8300)

It's just that I would most like to try a 14EX. I'll keep looking. The non-EX 18 and 19 don't have quite the same specs and abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel_
    i don't understand why your limiting yourself to these models? They are older receivers and the new Marantz models have everything your looking for and then some.
    Remember, power ratings don't mean alot...most are with 2 speakers driven only. So don't get focused soley on wattage.
    Take the middle of the road Marantz 5600 or 7500, they have HDCD, PLII, Neo:6, 7.1 inputs (blue ray, SACD,DVD-A, DVD-HD) and 7.1 preouts for adding another amp if needed. component switching, 2nd zone, etc....
    both can be had for the same price or lower than the older models you seek.

Plus, if you think the AVR amp isn't enough, buy the SR5600 online for $400 and add an external 5 channel amp. Let the 5600 - 6th and 7th amp channels drive the rear surrounds if your at 7.1. Say, you buy a used 5 channel amp for $400-500, then your at $900 bucks for a pre/amp. Not too shabby for the money.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by powerlord
    Hey morkys an SR-19 just came up for sale on ebay.
    I'll check it out.

Forum Regular
    I've revised my search to these:

SR 14EX, 18EX and 19EX (18u and 19u?)
    SR 9300(V) / 9300 and SR 9200

Forum Regular
    I have the 18u and there is an 18 on the bay right now too,don't know if you saw that one.
    Marantz SR-18
    Eosone RSF1000's
    Eosone RSC 300 Center
    Eosone RSF 400's
    SVS PC 20-39
    Samsung 42" DLP
    Xbox 360
    PS3 60gig

Forum Regular
    What is the difference between the 18 and 18u? I guess the 18U is sort of between the 18 and the 18EX?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information