Forum Regular

Old Yamaha RX-V800

I temporarily have to use my old Yamaha RX-V800 A/V Receiver. The remote control was destroyed so I have none to use with it. Can I get into the "set menu" via the unit itself?

yep, go to yammys website and dl a manual, it'll tell ya how.
    I'm in the same boat, gave one of these to a friend when I upgraded
    to Integra 7.4, got it back but the chucklehead lost the remote.
    GREAT receiver btw, would make a good heart for a two channel
    or six channel audio only second system
    good luck

Forum Regular
    I downloaded the manual, but I only see reference to the set menu with the remote control. Would you please point me in the direction (within the manual) of how to make these setting directly with the unit?

like to but I dont have one at this time.
    Let me run over there right quick

Wink

OTAY... ran over there right quick, bacame a member, looked at the byzantine manuel, and on all of the sections there are instructions on using the front panel AND the remote.
    Using the front panel is a chore, I gave up on the tuner, but it can be done

Forum Regular
    pixelthis wrote,
    ...ran over there right quick, bacame a member, looked at the byzantine manuel
    I assume you are talking about the Yamaha Manuals Download website. Could you send me the link or tell me how to get to this manuel which explains how to do it?

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    I have the V800 manual as a pdf. I uploaded it to mediafire. You can download it at this link

http://www.mediafire.com/?62wrymty1od

I don't think you can use the SET MENU with out the remote. But you can examine the manual more carefully. Good luck!

Forum Regular
    noddin0ff,

I had already downloaded the manual but I didn't see anything in it about using the unit to make adjustments in the set menu. I am hoping pixelthis will come back and tell me where I can find the manual he says has the instructions on how to do it from the unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace H
    noddin0ff,

I had already downloaded the manual but I didn't see anything in it about using the unit to make adjustments in the set menu. I am hoping pixelthis will come back and tell me where I can find the manual he says has the instructions on how to do it from the unit.
    YAMAHA.COM.
    Its a pdf a few megs large, and you havta become a member to get it.
    Pick the usa section, then receivers, then put your model no# in the search box.
    on pages 24-26, for example, there are ways to set the dsp, digital in mode, etc, and it shows how using both the front panel AND the remote.
    This is a document written by a guy whose first language is probably
    japanese, malasian, or tawainese, describing a device thats not the most ergonomic in the world. I built my last three computers, have had electronics training, been crazy about sound reproduction since I tore my first radio apart and couldnt get it back together, but I HAD TO LOOK AT THE STUPID MANUEL everytime I wanted to listen to jazz on the public radio station!
    The amps were great but man! They sure made you pay for em
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

yes, you can select DSP modes and use the tuner from the front panel. But as far as I know, you cant' do speaker set up, set delays, LFE levels, balance, tone adjuements, reassign inputs, and many other critical things needed to set up the receiver. You need the remote.

Quote Originally Posted by noddin0ff
    yes, you can select DSP modes and use the tuner from the front panel. But as far as I know, you cant' do speaker set up, set delays, LFE levels, balance, tone adjuements, reassign inputs, and many other critical things needed to set up the receiver. You need the remote.
    This is because you need to do this from your listening postion, which will require a remote, so why should you be able to set it at the front panel, how many people will listen to it at that position?.
    OSD? you dont need if if you can read the front panel
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    This is because you need to do this from your listening postion, which will require a remote, so why should you be able to set it at the front panel, how many people will listen to it at that position?.
    OSD? you dont need if if you can read the front panel
    Ok, I'll just assume you're on crack...

Among the many things one would like to do that you can't with out the remote...you can't for example chose between sending the low frequencies to a subwoofer or to the mains with out a remote. You don't need to be at the listening position to make this choice. You can't do it on the unit itself; you need the remote.

Along a similar vein, many people are quite able to determine the L/R balance adjustments required while sitting at the listening position and then walk to the receiver to make those adjustments. It's unfortunate you lack this ability, must suck to be you. Anyway, you can't do this with the V800 without the remote.

cheers.

ACTUALLY it sucks to be you, if anything this will be a second receiver , and my pronto will probably have the codes anyway.
    AND I could set such as you are talking about, from the front panel but it wouldnt be accurate, some might be able to "guesstimate " it but I'd rather sit in the ol barcolounger with my remote and my radioshack soundmeter.
    I'm not saying its right, just that thats what the engineers were thinking, and they were right, you have to be in the listening postion to properly set up a receivers soundfield
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    ACTUALLY it sucks to be you, if anything this will be a second receiver , and my pronto will probably have the codes anyway.
    AND I could set such as you are talking about, from the front panel but it wouldnt be accurate, some might be able to "guesstimate " it but I'd rather sit in the ol barcolounger with my remote and my radioshack soundmeter.
    I'm not saying its right, just that thats what the engineers were thinking, and they were right, you have to be in the listening postion to properly set up a receivers soundfield
    Oh, I'm sorry, when did this thread become about your problems? My answers were for Ace H who needed to know if you could get to the SET MENU without the remote. If I recall someone gave him a run-around and the WRONG answer. Then that same person went on to talk about the things one can do with the front panel that don't have much to do with the functions one needs the SET MENU for. I have corrected that mis-information.

It's nice that you prefer to make adjustments from your chair, but with the V800 unit you can't inform the receiver which speakers are connected unless you have the remote. A lot of good your soundmeter will do if 3.1 of your speakers are not active. Your Pronto 'might' have the codes. Ace H 'might' not have a Pronto. If Ace H is interested, it seems most in this forum prefer Logitech's Harmony remotes.

Forum Regular
    noddinOff,

I'm considering getting a Logitech Harmony remote, do you know if this brand will allow me to access the set menu on the Yamaha RX-V800?
    Last edited by Ace H; 04-10-2007 at 06:30 AM.

I don't have one myself so I don't know. But, I recall from other posts that they have very very patient tech support. I'm sure a call could answer your question.

If you're only using the Yammie temporarily and need to gain access to the setup menus, maybe you should borrow a remote from someone who owns a Yamaha receiver (or even from a local dealer, if they'll allow you to put a deposit down and borrow the remote). Newer Yamaha remotes should work with the RX-V800 since they retain a lot of the same menu options.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Thread Information