Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Old Big Screen is dying, upgrade recommendations

After 25 years of loyal service to two families, my 35-Inch, oak cabineted mankiller of a CRT is begining to show it's age. The screen is deforming and jumping all over the place. I'm sure I'll come home and fire her up one day she'll just be the white line of death. My current system is as follows:

Onky 898 Receiver
    Denon DVD Player 1st Generation
    Analog Cable DVR Box
    Dying Analog 35-incher

Now I'm already thinking of getting the following LCD

Samsung's LN52A750 52" LCD TV

What I need to know is if it's time to go HDMI, what are the good mid level HDMI compliant receivers, what's a good 5 disk DVD player that doesn't HAVE to be Blu-Ray, but is now the time to do that as well.

I spend most of my time in Fave Films so don't think I'm a total noob.

Da Worfster

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    What I need to know is if it's time to go HDMI, what are the good mid level HDMI compliant receivers, what's a good 5 disk DVD player that doesn't HAVE to be Blu-Ray, but is now the time to do that as well.
    Sorry to hear your loyal companion is starting to fade away.

I think you would be kicking yourself in the arse for years if you didn't incorporate HDMI throughout whatever you decided to do. Lucky for you it shouldn't be hard, I think it's pretty much standard on almost everything now. If you're like me and hate fighting 400 cable connections in your a/v rack, HDMI is a godsend, replacing 4-10 cables per device. That should be enough to convince you alone.

For good mid-level HDMI receivers you know the usual brands...Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon etc...Depending what your budget is for receviers there's plenty of model numbers we could throw at you. I wouldn't go lower than a Yamaha RX-V663/Onkyo TX-SR605 for your purposes. Think you've had decent experience with both in your day so you'll know what to expect. LJ might be good to chime in here, he did a pretty extensive comparison of these 2 brands with units "2 steps up" and I believe found the Onkyo to be a bit buggier, but slightly better for stereo music, and slightly worse for home theater sound quality. All things said, they're probably pretty darn close.

As for BluRay...if you don't need a 5 disc changer unit, you might as well grab yourself a PS3 like everyone else and blow the snot out of aliens and monsters on your new TV....mwa ha ha ha hah....
    Sorry, can't help you much more there - I'm not up to snuff on my DVD players and I'm pretty much surrendered to buying a PS3 to go with my projector when my house is ready this fall. According to Sir T and folks, the PS3 is the best solution for BluRay players still.

Hope I helped some...

Hey big guy. How's it going?

Nice display you've picked out there. 1080p, 4 HDMI inputs, good name brand. Can't see where you'd be going wrong with that choice. Looks like they are going in the $2800 to $4k range. Did you manage to dig up any kind of deal?
    What kind of budget do you have for the receiver? Onkyo has had some nice deals lately. Don't think you need to go all the way to 1.3 HDMI to get the new lossless audios. LJ can fill you in more on that when he stops in. I would go HDMI if it was in my budget. If you have the cash, I say h.ll yes!
    Not sure of the best DVD changers. Seems like you can't really go wrong if you pick a good name these days. Look for the features you like and don't spend too much. You'll want to go Blu someday. Not sure you'll even need an HDMI DVD player at all. It will still only be 480. Component cables will do that with ease. Let your new display upscale for you.
    Last edited by GMichael; 05-22-2008 at 05:43 AM.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Wow....

Thanks Kex and G-Man. I just knew "The Old Guard" would help a fellah out quick around here. Well it's been almost 7 years without any MAJOR system upgrades, so I guess the time is right. I'll have to do it bit by bit. Get the LCD first, then HD DVR Box, then HDMI receiver followed by DVD player. Urrrrrgh that sounds like a LOT of money, but I guess there's nothing for it. Any other nuggets o' wisdom, just keep em coming.

D Worfster

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Hey Worfster,

I'll play too but I gotta couple of questions. Are you wanting to run a 5.1, 7.1 or simple stereo system? And, is this the system you're using them Walsh Ohms in? Probably seems like minor considerations but if yer gonna do it, might as well do it right, y'know.

Peace
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Suspended
    I spend most of my time in Fave Films so don't think I'm a total noob.

Da Worfster

Who's this guy??? Looks like Samuel L. Jackson.
    N00bs... they all sound alike.

Looks like da Worfster is busy at the moment. Here's a couple linkys worth investigatin'...in my humble opinion.

Onkyo 805 It's probably worth noting that the Ohms use some juice and the amp stages in Onkyo are pretty solid...can't really speak on some of the issues that LJ uncovered but they don't exist with the next model up, the 875.

http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=34674
    http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NAT585
    http://nadelectronics.com/products/d...sal-DVD-Player

This is a good time to buy a universal as the market is bottoming out as Blu-Ray is taking a larger chunk of the pie. I've never been a huge NAD fan but the NAT585 has gotten some great reviews and ya can't beat that price with a Romulan War Cudgel.
    Last edited by bobsticks; 05-22-2008 at 11:14 AM.

You may find some useful info or links in this thread.

Kex pretty much nailed my thoughts already. Onkyo 605 does have a few limitation...no preouts & it can't apply surround processing to MCPCM via HDMI. Stepping up to the 705 will give you that greater flexibility. Yammie 661 & up should be OK, as well as most current Denons & Pioneer Elite.

I highly recommend the PS3 as a BR player. I've had mine over a year now with no problems playing back disc or any other issues. Strong support from Sony and all kinds of flexibility. One thing to note is that although the PS3 is HDMI 1.3, it cannot bitstream HD audio for decoding. It can only decode the HD audio internally and output the decoded signal via HDMI. Not really a problem for most current HDMI AVR's but you may run into limitation issues(no surround processing & stuff like that) with some older stuff. Just something to consider if you decide to go used or pickup some older gear.

Panasonic BD-50 may be another BR player option to consider.

What's goin' on L.J.?

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    Panasonic BD-50 may be another BR player option to consider.
    IMHO, there's not really another Blu-Ray player to consider and props for the impartiality, but I think this is one case in which it's OK to be a fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    IMHO, there's not really another Blu-Ray player to consider and props for the impartiality, but I think this is one case in which it's OK to be a fanboy.
    What's up Sticks? Just throwing something else out there since some people perfer a stand alone. And who you calling a fanboy?

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas

Is you talkin' bout da Worfster?

Oh dear, this isn't going to end well....

I'd like to go on record as saying that I'm going to miss that Rich Tex guy.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular
    Are you dead set on an LCD? I recommend taking a look at the Pioneer plasmas

seconding the plasma motion, my panny is sweet, in demo'ing sets LCDs didnt even come close, and i was looking at sony XBRs
    Home Theatre:
    50" Panasonic TH-50PZ77
    Denon AVR-3808CI
    B&W 603 S3
    B&W LCR600 S3
    Paradigm Cinema ADP v.3
    SVS PB12-NSD
    Xbox 360 250GB
    Playstation 3 60GB
    Explorer 8300HD PVR 320GB
    Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ 8TB
    Harmony One

2-Channel:
    Paradigm Studio 20 v.5
    NAD C320BEE
    NAD C521BEE

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    Ditto on Panasonic or Pioneer plasmas. Panny has several 50" and 58" models that are great bangs for the buck. Users have been finding lots of molding Kim Chee in the Samsung units lately.

RR6

Cool

Plasma is dead.
    As for DVD, I STRONGLY RECCOMEND blu, but a lot on this board swear by OPPO's
    400$ universal DVD player.
    But its not a changer, and like you I appreciate a good DVD changer, having had one.
    Yamaha has the 961, a five disc with dvda, sacd, faroudjia, and a whole lotta other stuff.
    If you dont care about the audio tech they have several dvd changers without it
    The 961 is 459 bucks, a bargain really
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Sorry Bobbo..

Hey Worfster,

I'll play too but I gotta couple of questions. Are you wanting to run a 5.1, 7.1 or simple stereo system? And, is this the system you're using them Walsh Ohms in? Probably seems like minor considerations but if yer gonna do it, might as well do it right, y'know.

Peace
    Everyone's trying to "duck out" for a long weekend so I got stuck trying to cover a bunch of stuff. I'm not using the Walsh4's as mains anymore. I'm using a pair of Platinum Audio Studio 3's bought used on the Bay for about $300.00. Best bargain I ever got. I don't have the room or accoustics to run 7.1 I'll just be running 5.1. I assume most modern receiver's can handle two fewer channels.

Thanks for the love.

Da Worfster

Great minds think alike.

Looks like da Worfster is busy at the moment. Here's a couple linkys worth investigatin'...in my humble opinion.

Onkyo 805 It's probably worth noting that the Ohms use some juice and the amp stages in Onkyo are pretty solid...can't really speak on some of the issues that LJ uncovered but they don't exist with the next model up, the 875.

http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=34674
    http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NAT585
    http://nadelectronics.com/products/d...sal-DVD-Player

This is a good time to buy a universal as the market is bottoming out as Blu-Ray is taking a larger chunk of the pie. I've never been a huge NAD fan but the NAT585 has gotten some great reviews and ya can't beat that price with a Romulan War Cudgel.
    Been looking at the 805 and the 875. I think I might save my sheckels and go with the 875. Onkyo's been good to me. Yammie's right behind though. Both good gear.

Da Worfster

Pheh... Texans...

Like foot fungus, they burn and itch for a while but if you ignore em long enough they just dry up and fade away LOL

Nah, I like RnT, he livens up the place greatly. Besides, every village needs an idiot.

Da Worfster

I looked at all formats.

Quote Originally Posted by Duds
    Are you dead set on an LCD? I recommend taking a look at the Pioneer plasmas
    The ONE good thing you can about BB and CC is that they allow you look at all the competing formats side by side. I ALMOST pulled the trigger on a Samsung 62-inch DLP. I loved the picture and the lightweight of the T.V. but its so big I'd have to get rid of my current rack and get something big enough to hold all my component AND the DLP itself. Decent HT furniture solutions cost more than the price of some DLPs, so I decided that 52 inchers would be just the right size. I'm still open for some suggestions though.

Da Worfster

Have you looked at the plasmas at all? As others have said, they do have advantages over LCD. They also have some drawbacks as well. You'd have to decide what means more to you.

Plasma pros:
    Better colors
    Better black level
    Better viewing angle
    Better contrast

Cons:
    Some lower end models do still have burn in issues
    Weigh more (about 2x)
    Use more energy to operate (99.9% of the time)
    Most lower end models do still have a glare issue (even some higher end models do too. You'd have to check model by model)
    Not as bright. (not an issue unless you are watching it outside or in a greenhouse.

It the 52" size, most plasmas cost less than LCD's. But not all. (my research was in the 720p range, not 1080p)

JSE
    FWIW, I've had my Samsung 52" LCD since about Oct/Nov last year and I have been completely satisfied so far. Great picture, great color and the viewing angles are just fine. I will frequently sit about 8 feet back and about 8 feet to the side when the wifey is crashed out on the couch and the picture looks amazing. Can't remember the model number but it was in the $2500 to $3k range back in Oct/Nov. It's a 1080p with 3 or 4 HDMI inputs.

Suspended
    Like foot fungus, they burn and itch for a while but if you ignore em long enough they just dry up and fade away LOL

Nah, I like RnT, he livens up the place greatly. Besides, every village needs an idiot.

Da Worfster
    Ummm... I'm sorry but I think you've got me confused with GMichael. I forgive you though because I'm well aware that in general, Romulians are... shall we say... a bit *challenged* in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by pix
    As for DVD, I STRONGLY RECCOMEND blu, but a lot on this board swear by OPPO's
    400$ universal DVD player.
    This statement might be a bit mis-leading. No one here is suggesting that the Oppo player is a better choice than a Blu-ray player; they're two different animals, but since you don't HAVE to own a Blu-ray disk player (BDP) an Oppo universal player might be a better chioce. A few things to consider though, they don't make a changer, the SACD software market is very limited from a music genre POV, and the DVD-A standard is a disaster from where I stand. Not to worry though, the Oppo 9XX series wil play anything you throw at it. Frankly Worf, I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that the market for changers is likely to fade into the sunset as these new technologies become prevalent.

All this... IMHO.
    Last edited by Rich-n-Texas; 05-23-2008 at 07:31 AM.

Ummm... I'm sorry but I think you've got me confused with GMichael.
    Bite me.

I forgive you though because I'm well aware that in general, Romulians are... shall we say... a bit *challenged* in that regard.
    Why do you keep calling him a Romulian? Don't you know that the Romulians killed his parrents.

Suspended
    Romulians, Vulcans... same difference.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information